Possible driver death due to heat

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Getting reports of a driver that was taken off life support in NC around 2pm today. Anyone confirm this, if so please keep the family in your prayers.

Update: apparently someone made a post on the vote no Facebook page. I'm not on Facebook and honestly have no idea how to use it.

I work in this local (not in the same building) and area management has been instructed to deny it was heat related; they're claiming it was a cardiac stroke rather than heat stroke. The driver was a female in her 40's/50's. There's been nothing reported in the local news media as of Friday.

I heard about it from a driver before I went into work today -- it has been absolutely miserable in the south (record breaking heat) and we had 4+ people pass out in the hub last night. There's not many details yet, but hopefully they'll surface when/if any local papers start looking into it.

10 point

Sorry I don't buy it. I grew up on a farm. Try baling hay in this heat for 12 hours.

Plus, these guys in full gear while in Iraq were able to hydrate.
DrinkingWater031208.jpg
Running 20 stops per hr; baked thru a glass windshield; wearing DARK BROWN not sand/light green colors; stuck working out of and in an almost black box with no air exchange in it (especially metro routes); and answering obviously stupid, redundant production ...or lack of...questions to caring supervision that sit in air conditioned offices watching us on computers.

watdaflock?

You don't buy it? How old were you when working on this farm? As well most of those guys in Iraq were probably in their early 20's at the most mid 30's? Before everyone gets in a hussy I know there were older guys & gals over there just not as many as the young guys & gals. This women appeared to be at least 50. I don't know about you but I could take the heat a heck of a lot better when I was younger. Even hydrating it beats the crap out of me now.

Edit:She graduated High School in 77 so she is a tad bit older than 50

So? What is your point? All those old folks should have studies in school more?
If she graduated HS in 77 she is probably late 50's at that. Someone that old with so much seniority should easily have recognized the signs of over heating and gotten their core temp down.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not trying to get off the subject. But we had a few hot days a couple of weeks ago. They actually sent us a message to take a minute or two and cool off,and get something to drink.

Too bad she didn't get the same.

Sorry if I'm too far off on this topic.

She very well may have received a similar message.

Do we really need to be told to take a minute or two to cool off and get something to drink?

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
She very well may have received a similar message.

Do we really need to be told to take a minute or two to cool off and get something to drink?

How would you cool off in a couple of minutes, when you are on the extended rural section of a route. Temperature yesterday was 98, with heat index well over 110.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How would you cool off in a couple of minutes, when you are on the extended rural section of a route. Temperature yesterday was 98, with heat index well over 110.

Stand outside and take the dampened towel that you have in your ice-filled cooler and drape it over your neck.

oldngray

nowhere special
A few folks have taken to bringing thermometers to measure the heat produced in the rear of the vehicle, some clocked 130+ this past week.

One summer a driver broke one of those little thermometers he left inside his package car. Above 130 degrees but unknown how much higher.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I work in this local (not in the same building) and area management has been instructed to deny it was heat related; they're claiming it was a cardiac stroke rather than heat stroke. The driver was a female in her 40's/50's. There's been nothing reported in the local news media as of Friday.

I heard about it from a driver before I went into work today -- it has been absolutely miserable in the south (record breaking heat) and we had 4+ people pass out in the hub last night. There's not many details yet, but hopefully they'll surface when/if any local papers start looking into it.
Yup....my center is brimming with new hires. Management is not properly instructing them on how to stay hydrated in this heat and humidity. I walk in with a 1/2 gallon of ice water, and a frozen gatorade and some snacks (I don't eat before I come to work...just coffee). The new kid next to me comes in with nothing but a little bottle of water....which will be empty in an hour...and he'll stall going to refill it because the flow is coming down heavy. And they wonder why people pass out in the building.