Preload Methods Question

gostillerz

Apologies for the long post. I'm not really sure how to word this correctly, so please bear with me...

Since I started loading package cars, we've always loaded them with the spa label facing out. If I had to, I'd pull the label arrange the package so it would fit better, then put the label so it would face out, keep same stops together...yadda yadda, and everything was fine.

Monday, our new center manager said that from now on, we are NOT to move the label at all, and mark the location number on it with a crayon. He said it's faster. Well I was doing this but couldn't keep up. I had 2 other loaders pulling for me and still couldn't do it.

Today, I said screw this, did it the old way, and I was back to having a good day. Towards the end of my shift, my PT supe asked if I was still using the crayon. I told him "Hell no, it takes me twice as long". He said "I know this is lame, but the center manager is pulling the (Termination for refusing to work as directed/following methods) crap and the DM will be here next week".

Using this new way, it's longer, hard to see crayon on pkg tape (and people like their tape here!) in dim light, much harder to look for misloads, add/cuts, etc.

I guess my questions are these:

1) Is this an actual method, and is there a method book for preload?
2) If it's not, does the "work as directed" shtick supersede methods?
3) If I do work as directed, I won't be able to keep up. Can I be disciplined for failure to maintain demonstrated performance?

Work as directed,if it affects your performance and they complain tell them that they trained you to do it one way and your doing your best to be as good doing it the new way.

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
I tried the label "re-sticking" thing, and to me its more work than just writing a number on a package! Do you write the numbers on the package while in the car or do you do it WHILE you are walking at a brisk pace towards the car? If you are writing while in the car than you are loosing valuable time! I say you try doing it the written way and see how much easier it "will" be for you. Also, this makes you look at the SPA label twice sometimes, this is probably why they are "Instructing" you to do it this way. Good luck.

JonFrum

I tried the label "re-sticking" thing, and to me its more work than just writing a number on a package! Do you write the numbers on the package while in the car or do you do it WHILE you are walking at a brisk pace towards the car? If you are writing while in the car than you are loosing valuable time! I say you try doing it the written way and see how much easier it "will" be for you. Also, this makes you look at the SPA label twice sometimes, this is probably why they are "Instructing" you to do it this way. Good luck.
Walking into a package car briskly while writing on a package???

Sounds like a tripping accident waiting to happen.:knockedout:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Walking into a package car briskly while writing on a package???

Sounds like a tripping accident waiting to happen.:knockedout:

That is what it comes down to. UPS pays you to do it THEIR way. Do not worry about their numbers or your trucks being stacked and blown out. Let them figure out how to manage the company.

Follow all of the methods and work as directed. Use your 5 seeing habits. When you get to the truck, place the package on the shelf and write the number down. You can be fired for working unsafely and writing while walking (not seeing where you are going) is working unsafely.

The methods as well as working as directed may slow you down in this case, but you will be untouchable as far as discipline if you are doing the job as directed following the methods.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Next bid i am going friend/T driving, but I have a good amount of exp with diad 3 and 4. It takes about 15 seconds at most to "sheet" a package to sig line, so I would do it in the truck rather than while walking.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Next bid i am going friend/T driving, but I have a good amount of exp with diad 3 and 4. It takes about 15 seconds at most to "sheet" a package to sig line, so I would do it in the truck rather than while walking.

Sleeve, try to sheet while walking--you'd be amazed how much time you save. 15 seconds--what would I do with the extra 10?

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat

That's funny, I was instructed in driving school to do it a totally different way!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sleeve, try to sheet while walking--you'd be amazed how much time you save.

I will not be doing that unless instructed to at that time. That is an unsafe work behaviour. Obviously that will save quite a bit of time ....for ex
100 stops x 10-15 seconds

1000-1500 seconds = I have the idea. ;)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I will not be doing that unless instructed to at that time. That is an unsafe work behaviour according to the 5 seeing habits. Obviously that will save quite a bit of time ....for ex

100 stops x 10-15 seconds

1000-1500 seconds = I have the idea. ;)

1500 seconds is 25 minutes. That's time for an extra cup of coffee and piece of pie.

I am obviously not going to tell another employee how to do their job but I will make suggestions and whether you choose to adopt or ignore those suggestions is entirely up to you. Sheeting while walking is really not an unsafe work behavior. It takes all of 2-3 seconds to scan and choose DR option.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
1500 seconds is 25 minutes. That's time for an extra cup of coffee and piece of pie.

I am obviously not going to tell another employee how to do their job but I will make suggestions and whether you choose to adopt or ignore those suggestions is entirely up to you. Sheeting while walking is really not an unsafe work behavior. It takes all of 2-3 seconds to scan and choose DR option.

True. I do not have exp with dr or anything like that, just sheeting them and getting a sig on counter boards. That takes alot more than 2-3 seconds and is definitly a distraction, I think you would agree.

evilleace

I was trained to write the sequence number on them while walking but I don't do it this way most of the time I just write the number on at the belt if I have time to write the number at all.

gostillerz

Put it this way. I work in an old trailer that was converted to a dock for 10 pkg cars, we get maybe 80% of the bulk, so there is not a lot of room. I'm not going to pay more attention writing a number on a box than I'm watching where I'm going. I was almost killed on reload, and I'm not putting myself in that position again. And on a different part, in 3 days of doing this, I've scratched out too many old numbers. Customers re-use the boxes, and it's already becoming a mess.

trenjct

I have never used the crayon/marker to write sequence numbers on the packages in my life, nor do i intend to. That's what the stupid PAL label is there for, and if I'm too stupid to figure out that sequence number 2301 comes before 2456, etc., than I should maybe find something a little less demanding, like panhandling. I miss the days of actually having to know your drivers and LEARN the routes. Besides, where would I put such funtastic crayon? I already have a tape gun in my right hand and a scanner on my left, and I already RUN part of the day to keep up, not to mention the taboo of working through break so the drivers can get out of the building on time. Gee, talk about unrealistic expectations. Unless I can crabwalk and teach my ass to write legibly, I think I'll have to PAS on crayola time!

gostillerz

I was questioned by my DM once as to why my moves were supposed to go to 5200s and 8800s, but I had them in 6999. Well Mr. DM, my driver likes me to keep them together, and the dispatcher didn't care to look if there WAS room for 50 extra packages given to me at 8:30, when the drivers are to leave at 8:15.