Preloader...what to expect for the first couple weeks

Hubzilla

I've been a night side loader for 4 years. Switching to preload in a few weeks and have no idea what to expect and I'm having a hard time getting any info from my co-workers.

I know there are a ton a different jobs on night side, is preload the same or is it just loading PCars?

SixSidedAnomaly

Yeah my apologies to everyone, I got a bit carried away last night. Cold meds don't sit right with me
Cold meds are a lot more powerful than people give them credit for.

On a serious note, I am new as well (17ish days in). My advice to you is to always appear to be doing something productive. If it appears that you are just staring off into space and a sup sees it, you will be hollered at. Work safely, bend at the knees (they go on about this often but for good reason; you can get hurt not doing this), and try to increase your production steadily. Don't rapidly increase your pace to hush a sup only to crash and barely be able to pick up a box. As long as you are steadily getting faster, showing up on time, putting in honest work, and not doing anything mind blowingly stupid, you will be fine.

SixSidedAnomaly

New preloader, worked about 17 days so some info may be missing or slightly off. Also, this is how it is at my center, your center may differ:

Unloader. Not much info I can give you here, as I haven't worked it or seen it done.

Loader. You put the boxes in the cars. You mentioned this.

Sorter. There are two systems (from what I know); a belt system (unfamiliar with this) and a cage system (what my center has). The cage system at my center has two systems with four colors of cages with three rows. Sorters get the majority of the packages from the belt (aside from most smalls and bulk. Smalls come down the slide in bags for the most part and an occasional bulk piece slides by. Do not sort these, send these to the clerk). You put the box in the corresponding cage.

Clerk. You probably won't work this. From what I hear, UPS is trying to phase these out. My center has one.

Bulk (could be part of unloading). Again, don't know much about this aside from the fact that large packages are loaded onto carts and driven onto package carts. These packages weigh from 70lbs to 150lbs OR are very large or oddly shaped.

Small sort. Also called tilt tray. Essentially, you take small packages (generally 9lbs or less, smaller than the tray. 60 percent or so are envelopes) and place them HIN up for a machine to be scanned. There are others who place packages in bags; however, I have not seen this work done and thus cannot comment.

I apologize for any wrong or missing information. There are probably other aspects to the preload; however, as you are new, I can't imagine you doing anything else.

Dr.Brownz

You will have to go through 30 days of probation (maybe 40 in some places). As soon as that is done join the union. Slow down and work at a reasonable pace or you will get more and more and more work till you are killing yourself to get done. It's definatly tougher than lawn work, I did lawncare for 3 years before I started UPS, It's hard on your body, especially the knees, shoulders, and all other joints. Protect your body at all times. A small injury will only get worse working on it. Join the union and read the contract. Don't mention the union to your sups in the first 30 days, make them think you are soooo eager to work really hard for them. Once your in the union slow down to a sustainable pace. You are guaranteed 3.5 hours a day as a PTer (unless they lay you off because you are just covering sick calls, but maybe they really need people?!)

Last edited:

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Please stop using words like that.......
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1468896295.895342.jpg