Probation days for new employees question?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It was a very simple question yet you seem to be having difficulty answering it.

If you do not sign the DCR and you have a bad DR are you not liable for the package simply because you didn't sign the DCR?

I'll give you a hint---the answer is either "yes" or "no". (The answer is "no")

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Article 6, Section 1 deals with Extra Contract Agreements. IMO this would be, for example, if an employee were to sign an agreement stating that he could come in 15 minutes late every Friday yet still get paid from the start time. This would be a side agreement and would be null and void. Paperwork pertinent to our jobs (DCR's, Driver's License Certification, etc) are not extra contract agreements as they fall within the parameters of the NMA and must be signed.

You will find issues no further than your own bathroom mirror. Have a great day as well.

ChadBrunn

It doesn't matter whether you sign it or not--you are still expected to comply with it.[/QUOTE] I never said he wasn't suppose to comply with it.

nystripe96

In my hub they say probation is 40 work days. I'm not sure if they use that number.as a ploy to get people to quit, or if it really is 40 now. Few guys in less than a year said they made union in 30 days, but the paperwork I received said otherwise.

klolx

It's 30 working days? Unless you call in than they can start it all over again. Don't worry about the paper you signed just show up to work and do the best you can. Once you make your 30 days they can't fire you for performance they might move you to another part of the building but that could be a good thing just don't let them know that.

Thank you. You're the only one who answered my question but can you please like explain the probation thing to me? cause I just finished my 2nd week and I think they might fire me. Does that happen during probation? I always work hard and my trainer can see it and he even told me that but I'm kinda been having misloads lately :(

menotyou

bella amicizia
Probation is the thirty day free period before you become a union member. Up until the 30 days are up, the company has the right to exercise their option of letting you go or keeping you. In most centers, if you have a pulse, you will make union. Good luck and try not to worry.

klolx

Probation is the thirty day free period before you become a union member. Up until the 30 days are up, the company has the right to exercise their option of letting you go or keeping you. In most centers, if you have a pulse, you will make union. Good luck and try not to worry.

Do you know any people who got fired before or after the probation? Does it happen a lot? I worry because I care about my job and I always try to show them that I'm doing my best

menotyou

bella amicizia
Yes, I do. But, it was beyond obvious this was not the job for them.
It's rare. As I said, if you have a pulse and want the job, you should be fine.

UPSGUY72

Do you know any people who got fired before or after the probation? Does it happen a lot? I worry because I care about my job and I always try to show them that I'm doing my best

I have seen a handful of people get fired during probation most cases do to attendance issues a couple because they like to talk more than working. Getting permanently fired after probation is a little harder you basically got to be trying or are just a told friend-- idiot.

blue741

The 30 days right when you get hired that you don't have to pay the initiation fee yet? My booklet specifically says my probation period is 90 days though.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Like all things contract related, it depends on your location. You really need to check with your local union folks. They know exactly what you need for your Joint Council and Rider agreement. We know exactly (maybe...:happy2:) what our local rules are. It wouldn't be kind us to give you information that may not pertain to your exact location. However, as far as misloads go within your probation period, it's pretty standard across the board that they can terminate your employment for little cause. But, if your a hard worker and diligently work hard at eliminating your misloads you'll be fine. I know you want to hustle up and show them that your a keeper, but you need to pay attention to the labels just as much. You'll only be slow for a few days until you can recognize what addy's or zips go into your car and or trailer. Best possible solution for you.

kdogg788

I feel like I work at the death hub. Very few people make seniority. Every week there is like 4 to 6 new recruits, and maybe 1 make it to term. One girl literally lasted 3 days. It is very difficult to actually get fired. You have to no show pretty much. A guy I know said he got a letter of termination, and when I asked what that meant, said that UPS wanted to fire him for misloads, but that the union wouldn't let them.

-k

menotyou

bella amicizia
I've seen them crawl out of the feeder after 15 minutes, run out the door and puke. One crapped his pants, Literally.
Too many stories of fresh meat running for the hills.

nystripe96

A supe told me the freeze is Oct 15th. I'll still need 15 more days to make book at that time. He said rather than lay me off I'll probably be working through peak but not gaining any days towards seniority until Jan 1st. I didn't know they could have a non seasonal hire working without getting any days towards seniority. I couldn't find any info about this online or in the contract

UPSGUY72

A supe told me the freeze is Oct 15th. I'll still need 15 more days to make book at that time. He said rather than lay me off I'll probably be working through peak but not gaining any days towards seniority until Jan 1st. I didn't know they could have a non seasonal hire working without getting any days towards seniority. I couldn't find any info about this online or in the contract

You need to read your contract rider / supplement. Seniority issue like this will covered there. If your working in the northeast you can gain seniority in any months as long as you are hired for a permanent position the only time you can obtain seniority is when you hired as a casual to cover vacations or for temp position during peak.

nystripe96

You need to read your contract rider / supplement. Seniority issue like this will covered there. If your working in the northeast you can gain seniority in any months as long as you are hired for a permanent position the only time you can obtain seniority is when you hired as a casual to cover vacations or for temp position during peak.[/QUO

I'm in the Northeast, that's why I don't understand why the supervisor said that. My date to make book is Nov 5th. I probably average 2 mis-sorts/week, so everyday the stress builds a bit. I had a mis-load today, but have been pulling 300pph or more regularly. I simply can't wait to make union.