Production: do we recognize it???????

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Sober...why isnt drivers delivery records being pulled on drivers who have been known not to take a lunch and put one down...can the union or a ba get their hands on those... you don't take a lunch and put one down this is dishonesty and bs. Crock of crap...can the union disipline these members???

Instead of going after a member, the better way to handle it is to file a grievance to get the member paid for all hours worked. This puts the pressure back onto the company where it belongs. The company isnt going to get anywhere at a panel hearing if they are trying to discipline or fire someone who is guilty of nothing more than skipping his lunch.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Instead of going after a member, the better way to handle it is to file a grievance to get the member paid for all hours worked. This puts the pressure back onto the company where it belongs. The company isnt going to get anywhere at a panel hearing if they are trying to discipline or fire someone who is guilty of nothing more than skipping his lunch.

Im talking about putting a lunch into the board then delivering during this time...you know how they get with "official delivery records"...the person who is choosing to do this isnt going to file a grievance...they want off at 5...it would have to be someone else who is pissed about the situation I guess. If ups wanted they could fire this person for dishonesty but I get what your saying..

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Received this letter from the Union yesterday:

View attachment scan0001.pdf

I agree with the message being conveyed but still contend that it shouldn't matter when you take your meal breaks as long as you take them. I also agree with the poster above who wants to have the delivery records of suspect drivers audited, comparing any activity to the break times. I would also like to add pickups to the audit--we have a driver in my center who completes pickups without attempting them knowing that there is a driver (me) who closes out the account.

over9five

Staff member
Received this letter from the Union yesterday:

View attachment 5272

I agree with the message being conveyed but still contend that it shouldn't matter when you take your meal breaks as long as you take them. I also agree with the poster above who wants to have the delivery records of suspect drivers audited, comparing any activity to the break times. I would also like to add pickups to the audit--we have a driver in my center who completes pickups without attempting them knowing that there is a driver (me) who closes out the account.
I hope you replied blasting him. "...do to the economy". Someone needs to check his grammah!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I hope you replied blasting him. "...do to the economy". Someone needs to check his grammah!!!

It's funny you mentioned that as it was the first thing I thought when reading it.

He does make some valid points and we do have a couple of drivers who put break times in their DIADs and work through them. Mgt loves these guys but it makes it really hard on the cover drivers.

804brown

Sober...why isnt drivers delivery records being pulled on drivers who have been known not to take a lunch and put one down...can the union or a ba get their hands on those... you don't take a lunch and put one down this is dishonesty and bs. Crock of crap...can the union disipline these members???

Maybe the union can offer dues rebates to all members who take their full hour lunch for the month??Its all about the incentives!!

BrownArmy

I agree with the message being conveyed but still contend that it shouldn't matter when you take your meal breaks as long as you take them.

Sometimes it does matter.

I cover a few routes that are straight business - there just isn't time to take lunch during the contractually agreed upon window. Doing so would lead to missed business savers, missed pickups, maybe even missed regular business deliveries.

It's clear that the route drivers take their lunch after everything's delivered and picked up, or there is no way these routes would have ended up the way they are.

By taking lunch outside the contract window, it's allowing UPS to max the route(s) out to the nth degree instead of adding in additional routes.

I suppose that on a straight residential route it wouldn't matter when you take your lunch, but for the most part it plays into UPS's favor when lunch is taken outside the contract window.

If every single driver on every single route nationwide pulled over from noon to 1:00 tomorrow for a full and uninterrupted lunch, as a company we would be looking at many tens of thousands of service failures as well as a bunch of management heads on plate in Scott Davis's office.

Bingo.

A

anonymous6

If every single driver on every single route nationwide pulled over from noon to 1:00 tomorrow for a full and uninterrupted lunch, as a company we would be looking at many tens of thousands of service failures as well as a bunch of management heads on plate in Scott Davis's office.[/QUOTE]

that would be the only thing that would work. but to get 3 people to agree to anything. my BA told me yrs ago that we are our own worse enemies.