PT cell phone ban

nystripe96

As a pt worker, cell phones are banned inside, no questions asked. So the other night I brought my cell into the hub forgetting it was in my jacket. On the way out, security found it, but luckily did not report me. Are cell phones banned in every facility for PT's. If so why?????? I think its such a dumb rule, and the fact I can get fired for having one really annoys me.

Cementups

Box Monkey
But they probably should be. There is no reason for you to have your wireless with you at work. You're there to work, not to text or talk on your phone. If someone needs to get a hold of you in case of emergency then they can do it the old school ways and call into the center/hub you work out of and talk to tour supervisor. Rules are rules. Once you have your own multi-billion dollar business you can make your own rules too.

nystripe96

And what about the inside FT union employees with phones? I just find it ridiculous we can't bring a friggin phone into the facility. It's 2012 and everyone has one. A lot of us take trains to work from far distances. We're not gonna leave our cells at home. If there's an emergency I don't want the message relayed to me by someone else. I should know about it ASAP!!!

dcdriver

nations capital
And what about the inside FT union employees with phones? I just find it ridiculous we can't bring a friggin phone into the facility. It's 2012 and everyone has one. A lot of us take trains to work from far distances. We're not gonna leave our cells at home. If there's an emergency I don't want the message relayed to me by someone else. I should know about it ASAP!!!

quit

cino321

File a grievance. See what happens. With any luck no one will be able to bring a phone into the building.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
it's because PT hourlies aren't as trustworthy as FT hourlies or supervisors, and at 9$/hr, you're more likely to be the kind of guy that likes stealing iPhones and selling them on eBay

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
I get that part of it. But its still very easy to prove the phone is yours and not stolen

it's even easier to leave it in your car

seriously dude unless you're a driver or a supe, you're better off going in there carrying nothing but your keys, ID, and maybe a drink/snack

FAVREFAN

As a pt worker, cell phones are banned inside, no questions asked. So the other night I brought my cell into the hub forgetting it was in my jacket. On the way out, security found it, but luckily did not report me. Are cell phones banned in every facility for PT's. If so why?????? I think its such a dumb rule, and the fact I can get fired for having one really annoys me.
I'm with you man. It's a crock. At CACH pretty much everyone with FMLA has their smartphones on them, almost every driver, 22.3's and most management. Only part-timers can't have their phone.(unless they have FMLA) Total joke. I agree. The company needs to adjust to the times and just let it go allready. You just have to deal with it man. Peace.

brown_trousers

I'm with you man. It's a crock. At CACH pretty much everyone with FMLA has their smartphones on them, almost every driver, 22.3's and most management. Only part-timers can't have their phone.(unless they have FMLA) Total joke. I agree. The company needs to adjust to the times and just let it go allready. You just have to deal with it man. Peace.

thats not completely true, as a full time driver we have to keep our personal cell phones in the back of our package cars. Which means we go without using it for hours at a time, if not the whole day sometimes. So its not really that big of a deal for UPS to tell you not to use your phone for only 3.5 hrs out of a 24hr day.

rocket man

who do you really have to talk to in 3 to 4 hours. for decades we didnt have cell phones , if you have to talk to someone that bad get a job as a 411 operator and dont use the excuse oh some in family needs me and all the other crap I say ban them,

rocket man

thats not completely true, as a full time driver we have to keep our personal cell phones in the back of our package cars. Which means we go without using it for hours at a time, if not the whole day sometimes. So its not really that big of a deal for UPS to tell you not to use your phone for only 3.5 hrs out of a 24hr day.
this post was 4 partime inside workers

Kis124

At my place, the employees caught the most stealing were...Sups. They are no longer allowed to park by the building, and have to go through security like the rest of us.

cino321

My phone is with me the entire day. No way will I miss anything when I'm at work.

DS

Fenderbender
I'm a driver and we have to get a sticker on our phone to clear security.
This brings up a good question.Why are drivers allowed to have cell phones on the job?
The diad is outdated?

cino321

I'm a driver and we have to get a sticker on our phone to clear security.
This brings up a good question.Why are drivers allowed to have cell phones on the job?
The diad is outdated?

I have a phone to keep in touch with friends and family as well as other drivers. We need to call each other to determine where we are meeting up for lunch.