Push for voting on Georgia TSPLOST?

gata

What's behind the push to get everyone out (apparently in favor of) the huge sales tax increase in Georgia? The irony is that for most of us, it's all we can do to vote with the demands to be at your post during the entire time the polls are open. Now we are being led to believe that this sales tax increase is something we should support? Sorry

Last edited:

gata

There are posters, PCMs, upsers.com stories for everyone in Atlanta. Experts are saying it will not improve traffic and congestion. Fat cat politicians and Corporate say it will. I guess we can expect voting guides in November from Corporate as well?

texan

There are posters, PCMs, upsers.com stories for everyone in Atlanta. Experts are saying it will not improve traffic and congestion. Fat cat politicians and Corporate say it will. I guess we can expect voting guides in November from Corporate as well?

If I may ask? Are the PCMs and the rest from us (UPS Georgia) pro or con to it?

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I will vote NO on this as I fail to see how this will add any relief to the terrible traffic in Atlanta. I thank my lucky stars everyday i'm not in the Atlanta or P'dale hubs!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I was off this past week and I went to the county courthouse and did early primary voting that started Monday. I also got an application for a mail-in ballot for the general election in November, since the polls close at 7 so there is no way to make it home in time. I voted against T-SPOST, I think that you have to be insane to vote to raise sales taxes on yourself. Our state Dept. of Transportation is a joke, they need to fire everybody in it and start over. The politicians and real estate developers are behind this, they are investing big money into this so that they will make a bundle later on. A lot of big employers are pushing this too, I can see where UPS will benefit from freeing highways to keep our vehicles moving.

Basically, they want to add an extra penny to the sales tax to improve transportation in my area. Something like 60-65% of the money raised from my county will be used to study a rapid rail line for a county on the other side of Atlanta from me. There will be no real benefit for my county. We already pay property taxes for county road work and the gas sales taxes are supposed to help with the interstate system. We have one toll road in the state, the toll booths were supposed to come down years ago when it was paid for. Guess what? The toll booths are still up, they just use the money on something else now. I never believe anything that any politician promises, I don't believe them on this. The traffic in Atlanta is terrible in some places, something needs to be done. I just don't think this is it.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Ga 400 toll is a prime example of why this will fail. The toll was put there to pay for the hwy and was suppose to be taken out in 10 years and was written into law with those words. The government got used to the cash cow and actually shut it down for a weekend to say "Yes, we shut it down", and then reinstated it to continue to take tolls. TSPLOST fails not because people don't want to give money to improve traffic, we just don't trust the government to do it with integrity and honesty. The government does so well with the money they have now, yeah let's give them more.