Question for ButBenefitsAreGreat

sx2700

Banned
Is your status permanent or temporary? The reason I ask is because in your original post you said people kept telling "but the benefits are great", which if you are temporary you won't get the benefits until you become permanent which most likely wouldn't happen until after August then you won't get your benefits for a year after that. Anyway, I'm curious because they hired 4 temporary employees at my center but we've lost 3 permanent (1 to management and 2 to driver). I'm assuming 3 of those will become permanent after the new contract goes into effect.

New Englander

Is your status permanent or temporary? The reason I ask is because in your original post you said people kept telling "but the benefits are great", which if you are temporary you won't get the benefits until you become permanent which most likely wouldn't happen until after August then you won't get your benefits for a year after that. Anyway, I'm curious because they hired 4 temporary employees at my center but we've lost 3 permanent (1 to management and 2 to driver). I'm assuming 3 of those will become permanent after the new contract goes into effect.

Seasonal drivers here in New England accrue benefits and pension time through the union.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor

Correct me if I am wrong..but they (new hires) are now saying here... that as long as they were hired before August they will/should have benefits within 90 days. They said they are trying to get everyone on the same page. Anyone hired after August 2008, will be waiting a year for the bene's

sx2700

Banned
Correct me if I am wrong..but they (new hires) are now saying here... that as long as they were hired before August they will/should have benefits within 90 days. They said they are trying to get everyone on the same page. Anyone hired after August 2008, will be waiting a year for the bene's

If that is true than that is a good thing and I applaud UPS for being decent when they could be pricks about it.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
If that is true than that is a good thing and I applaud UPS for being decent when they could be pricks about it.

I have a new hire on my belt...and I was doing the crossroads training with him..blah blah..reviewing his benefits and yada yada. He corrected me and was the one that gave me the information. As I was under the impression that all new hires were being paid more but were waiting for benefits for a year. He said "nope, they want to catch everyone up, so if your hired before august...you get your benefits within 90 days and after August you get your benefits in a year.

I thought that was a great plan also.