Questionable Management

U

ups_vette

retired2:
In your world, every driver was perfect. In the real world, that certainly was not the case. In your world evey driver pulled his fair share of the work. In the real world this most definately wasn't the case.
Would you care to explain why when a "poor performer" had a supervisor or manager with them, there was a great improvement in their performance for that day? Oh, I know, it wasn't a typical day and everything went right. Don't you find it amazing that the only days that weren't typical were the days when a supervisor was with the driver?
From what you posted, I would guess you would say it's intimidation to ask a driver why the demonstrated performance level was different from the level when alone?
In your world no driver has ever taken more than the allowed lunch and break times. No driver has ever padded the mileage to try to make up for extended lunch. No driver has ever falisified records. No driver has ever missed stops because he/she didn't feel like going there that day.
If those things never happened, then you are correct. But, we all know that is not the case in the real world. So, if I seem nasty to you, it's because I worked in the real world where what you call harrasment was trying to correct the person and have everyone do their fair share of the work.
A FAIR DAYS PAY FOR A FAIR DAYS WORK.

R

rachel2241999

The quality of management has been better in the last 5 years,have noticed a improvement in p/t sups

S

sparkley

Rachel-224 I would have to agree with you on that. I feel the same way

R

retired2

Hey Vette,
When did you get the PHD in Psychology? How do you manage to constantly display such an appitude for reading other people's minds? I have noticed this amazing gift of yours time and time again. I said nothing about a "perfect world". I don't attempt to speak for other than what I witnessed or was personally subjected to. Since retiring from package and feeders, I have obtained my BS and I will have my JD in another year. I have studied psychology and it is an established fact that people react better to positive reenforcement than to constant negativism. I witnessed nothing but constant negativism and put-down of drivers. Never enough stops, never fast enough. Day in and day out negative, negative and negative. When you continually harass people you demoralize them and that does not promote a good working environment. This my dear friend, is a FACT. Like someone else who once posted here, I too worked over thirty years without once ever hearing that I did a "good job". That is a sad testimony for any company's management policy.
You can defend your intimidation tactics to your death but that doesn't make it right. The company has changed for the better, why can't you recognize that fact? Someone once said on a post here that management would never admit to a mistake, are you going to prove him correct?

U

ups_vette

retired2:
Congratulations on your educational endevors. I'm sure once you receive your degree in JD you will will have a self rewarding career as a CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY. You seem to have a passion for defending the poor misunderstood people of the world. Just give then a hug and all will be well. Show then the positive reinforcement you belive they need and I'm sure they will stop their criminal activities.
Oh...I just had a terrible thought. It couldn't be.....no...I'm sure it's not, but let me ask anyway. You weren't one of the people I discribed as extending their lunch, falsifing records, and not doing their fair share are you? No...not you...that's not possible, I'm sorry, but I had to ask. Forgive me for doubting you.

A

antimatter

Oldupsman, GREAT post! Reading your thoughts took me down Memory Lane as I fondly recalled all the threats, intimidation and B.S. associated with going to work every day. I tell people that I can recall a time when fistfights were commonplace (Sunrise shift hourly employees) and drug abuse was not only rampant, but out in the open (this included both hourly and management). It was kind of like the Wild West. My experience with the differing management styles is that that the "enjoyment factor" of coming to work has vacilated from decade to decade. The late 70's were very tough, the 80's were better, the mid 90's were HORRIBLE and now it is leveling off again to being damn near enjoyable. My advice is to enjoy this "up" cycle because history has shown (to me at least) it won't last.

R

rushfan

I have it told to me by the "elder" supervisors, and drivers about the good 'ol days. Smoking ganja in the parking lot during breaks-not only hourly, but management-during preload.

D

deliver_man

retired2:
Don't waste your time with ups_vette, the guy lives in a fantasy world and will never admit that he is wrong.

U

ups_vette

Well well well...Look who turned up. It's my old friend deliver_man. It's great hearing from you and seeing the picture of your "male companion" again.
Don't stay away so long next time, your insight enlightens us all.

P

parecasa

I have a friend that started at UPS 29 days ago, today, his 29th day, he was told not to come back tomorrow. He was told by our supervisor that he was let go because I being a shop steward, I coached him into not signing a blank piece of paper brought to him by his supervisor. Is this a common practice?

B

badhab1

Well you should feel real proud of yourself. No, it isn't a common practice but I suspect your reputation cost your friend a good job. Someone smelled trouble and cut the cord. I hope that you learned a valuable lesson but somehow I doubt it.

D

deliver_man

He was told by our supervisor that he was let go because I being a shop steward, I coached him into not signing a blank piece of paper brought to him by his supervisor.
So you are saying that your buddy was let go because he refused to sign a blank piece of paper?
That sounds a bit odd. More to the point, it sounds like it's not the whole story.

D

dannyboy

I aggree with delman, there is something there either that you are not telling us, or you dont know. So fill in the blanks and we might be able to shed some light on it.

d

T

toonertoo

Real great post oldupsman, I have a few years less than you and I know you are correct, things have gotten better, it is a great company, but the management in YOUR own building is what makes the difference. If you have the vision to see the company regardless of the "regime" you are under, that is the key. Although I dont think a degree makes a difference. I have had managers who never stepped foot in a college who did a fine job, and the ones who did were only book smart, no real world experience. You now can speak out about things unfair, and you have protection. having the guts to do it after being controlled for years is the problem. I just hope all UPSERS young and Older realize "the truth stands tall" and if it gets you in trouble you have recourse. If your concern is legitimate speak out, you have so much more protection and if it needs to be done DO IT. We have a great secure company, and a few bad management people should not ruin it for the rest. We do our jobs, have fun meeting people, and our customers love us for it. And we are productive, no one can dispute that. And for the days we are "late" most of us can account for every minute. Other than the size of the packages and the weight of them not being figured into our allownace, we all do a good job, or we wouldnt be where we are.

U

ups_vette

parecasa:
Did you actually see this blank paper, or were you told it was blank? Did your friend have positive evaluations? What job was he doing, unloading, sorting, preloading? Was he a team player?
I find myself agreeing with my friend deliver_man. We haven't heard the entire story.

P

parecasa

My friend was still in training so he had to sign alot of papers for his 30 day training packet for preload. His supervisor told him that he had a lot of misloads and would he sign a paper that he was informed of this. He said the printing on the paper was so blurry that he could not make anything out so he was cautious about it. When he asked to see a paper that he could read it he was told he refused training. The supervisor told him not report the next day but to call, his packet would be reviewed to see if they would keep him. He had been loading for 29 days and then they let him go that is my problem. He asked the Division Manager about this matter and his immediate supervisor interrupted them. He took the division manager aside and whispered something to him. When the Division Manager came back he said that he was being let go because he was being coached. They assumed that because he was my friend I was telling what to do and not to do. That is not true. Tis is questionable management.

D

dannyboy

Well, so the paper was not blank after all. As to the coaching, employees are to ask the union for help when they need it. If you are a true friend, look into it for him. ANd if you need to get the union involved. But, at least in our area, good workers are hard to find, and anyone willing to work is kept.

d

W

wvbrown

The training packet you keep talking about is called a twenty-two (22)training packet. So all the documentation in it is complete on the 22nd day not the 29th.

U

ups_vette

parecasa:
Did you witness this exchange between your friend and the diviision manager, or was it like he told you, as he told you the paper was blank?
Did you question the division manager about this?
Sometimes people we think of as friends tend to shade the truth and since they are friends, we believe what they say as the absolute truth.

S

smf0605

wvbrown: The training packet you keep talking about is called a twenty-two (22)training packet. So all the documentation in it is complete on the 22nd day not the 29th.

The training packet is 22 working days, which falls within 29 calendar days