Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbsam

Staff member
Laughed my ass off for hours.
Yep. I had heard rave reviews and convinced myself it couldn't be THAT good. From the first "ding-dong" I was laughing hysterically.

By intermission I thought, ok, they've gotten the best parts out, now it's gonna start to slow down. Nope. Laughed my ass off through the last "ding-dong".

bbsam

Staff member
A lot of Christian scholars classify the Mormons as a cult, including the late Walter Martin, whom I thought was pretty sharp. Watch Religiousity some time, and observe the reception Bill Mahre gets in SLC. Kind of tells you a lot.
I wish I could watch it. Mahre just comes off as too angry for me. And I can understand anger at religion but his seems so self-righteous as to be hateful. There are ways to disagree and parody and even mock without the hatred.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
who would wonder something so bizarre?

Because the Catholic Church continues to cover this all up. Recently, it came to light that some priests were loaning boys out to church laypersons who were prominent members. When they told the priest they were being abused at confession, they were told they'd go to Hell if they said anything. Nice. The homosexual internal culture runs deep, and Francis knows more than he's telling. Isn't it a sin to cover-up sin?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I wish I could watch it. Mahre just comes off as too angry for me. And I can understand anger at religion but his seems so self-righteous as to be hateful. There are ways to disagree and parody and even mock without the hatred.

He just shows up in Salt Lake City, and the "Mormon Police" are there to keep him off the property. What's to hide?

teamer

Because the Catholic Church continues to cover this all up. Recently, it came to light that some priests were loaning boys out to church laypersons who were prominent members. When they told the priest they were being abused at confession, they were told they'd go to Hell if they said anything. Nice. The homosexual internal culture runs deep, and Francis knows more than he's telling. Isn't it a sin to cover-up sin?

ok so that causes you to think about the pope having poop on his penis?

bbsam

Staff member
He just shows up in Salt Lake City, and the "Mormon Police" are there to keep him off the property. What's to hide?
Not the, "If you don't have anything to hide, you won't mind if we come in and snoop around" argument. I wouldn't let Sean Hannity snoop through my house.

wkmac

I could take it or leave it but my wife (who is a christian) and I watched it together on Netflix and she actually liked it. To my surprise but she also sees Mahre as more comedian and saw it from that perspective while agreeing he made a few valid points as well. I don't see the film changing anyone's POV either way so at the end of the day Mahre comes off mostly preaching to the choir IMO.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
ok so that causes you to think about the pope having poop on his penis?

Because he came up through the church and has to know of it. I am openly wondering if he took part, which isn't a stretch. And I need to clarify that the Catholic Church has an internal culture of pedophilia, not just homosexuality.

If you want to molest young boys, become a priest, and then let the Catholic Church protect you and your sick behavior. That's sin in my book, and Francis is part of it because they're still trying to cover it up.

Come clean, Mr. Red Slippers, compensate the victims, and turn over offending priests to the police.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I could take it or leave it but my wife (who is a christian) and I watched it together on Netflix and she actually liked it. To my surprise but she also sees Mahre as more comedian and saw it from that perspective while agreeing he made a few valid points as well. I don't see the film changing anyone's POV either way so at the end of the day Mahre comes off mostly preaching to the choir IMO.

It's a "preaching to the choir" piece. Mahre picks his targets well, but it's still a good film.

wkmac

It's a "preaching to the choir" piece. Mahre picks his targets well, but it's still a good film.

I've seen far, far better on the subject but those films come at the subject from a different approach. No humor involved.

Marshall Payn, retired MIT researcher's 3 part series "Christian Dilemmas" is just one example of many IMO.

teamer

Because he came up through the church and has to know of it. I am openly wondering if he took part, which isn't a stretch. And I need to clarify that the Catholic Church has an internal culture of pedophilia, not just homosexuality.

If you want to molest young boys, become a priest, and then let the Catholic Church protect you and your sick behavior. That's sin in my book, and Francis is part of it because they're still trying to cover it up.

Come clean, Mr. Red Slippers, compensate the victims, and turn over offending priests to the police.

my point was your disgusting reference to gay sex. You liberals want to slam the pope and slur gay sex in the process. You're like the guy in a bar fight that slugs his buddy by mistake.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
my point was your disgusting reference to gay sex. You liberals want to slam the pope and slur gay sex in the process. You're like the guy in a bar fight that slugs his buddy by mistake.

Huh? Gay sex usually involves anal activity, which isn't for me, but part and parcel of the lifestyle. Glad it disgusts you.

Status
Not open for further replies.