Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

wkmac

Well, the double slit experiment with the electrons was one such test. Sees to be that consciousness does play something of a role .

A friendly and sympathetic fixed it for you. BTDT too.

That conclusion of consciousness in electrons is not a popular one in certain circles from scientific skeptics to scientific based atheists but I have an agnostic fascination with it. There is great debate about the nature of consciousness and I'm not fully satisfied anyone has been able to fully answer those questions. We may never in my lifetime and that's OK too.

Sometime back I watched a college lecture on the state of consciousness by a Professor who did not come from a dogmatic materialist POV. I wish I could recall it or remember its source but should I ever come across it, I'll pass your way as you might find it interesting as well.

wkmac

@pickup You might find this interesting speaking of the infinite possibilities of the photon to collapse into singularity that is our reality. And that reality comes from the future? Hmmm!

Besides, being a fan of Hans Zimmer, I enjoyed the music, which is how I found it. ;)

wkmac

I've heard a number of sources state this quote and then allege it to the greek philosopher Epicurus (341-270 BCE) which I've been unable to confirm but I still find it an interesting quote.

"He is not Godless who scorns the God of the multitudes. He is Godless who accepts the opinions of the multitudes concerning their God."

But one quote sourced to Epicurus that I do get a chuckle from for its logic,

"If God listened to the prayers of men, all men would quickly have perished: for they are forever praying for evil against one another."

Being we are still here...... ;)

Even greek society had an H.L. Mencken among them as this is so Mencken like to me.

Also reminds me of the old Farmer's prayer, "Oh Lord, I'm a man of modest wants but Lord, just grant me the 100 acres next to mine!"
;)

One of the best sermons I ever heard used that Farmer's Prayer as a warning about how one prays and for what. The sermon was decades ago but years later upon discovering Epicurus, I realized I was hearing Epicurus more than anything else.

wkmac

But a recent project by data analyst and research marketer Tom Anderson turns one common misconception on its head: that the Quran is more consumed by blood thirst than the Christian Bible. Using text-analysis tools developed by OdinText, Anderson determined what percentage of the Bible was devoted to discussion of violence and then compared those results to that of the Quran.

The point of the project, Anderson wrote, was to "uncover with as little bias as possible the extent to which any of these texts is qualitatively and/or quantitatively distinct from the others using metrics associated with violence, love and so on."

Here's What Happens When You Compare Violence in the Quran to Violence in the Bible

oldngray

nowhere special
its_so_true_02.jpg

moreluck

golden ticket member
I'm a fan of Mormons in the Trey Parker/Matt Stone kinda way. I think they are odd but polite and committed but not overbearing.
I lived in Mormon country 3 times.....Salt Lake, Sandy and Idaho Falls. All three times they'd come welcoming us with brownies.....if you drink coffee and light up a cigarette, they will leave you alone!! I agree, they are nice people and take care of their own.

wkmac

12745746_10153648293559597_632786495486793233_n.png

There are two trees growing in Paradise. The one bears animals, the other bears men. Adam ate from the tree which bore animals. He became an animal and he brought forth animals. For this reason the children of Adam worship animals. The tree [...] fruit is [...] increased. [...] ate the [...] fruit of the [...] bears men, [...] man. [...] God created man. [...] men create God. That is the way it is in the world - men make gods and worship their creation. It would be fitting for the gods to worship men!

Gospel of Philip

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm a fan of Mormons in the Trey Parker/Matt Stone kinda way. I think they are odd but polite and committed but not overbearing.

A lot of Christian scholars classify the Mormons as a cult, including the late Walter Martin, whom I thought was pretty sharp. Watch Religiousity some time, and observe the reception Bill Mahre gets in SLC. Kind of tells you a lot.

bbsam

Staff member
A lot of Christian scholars classify the Mormons as a cult, including the late Walter Martin, whom I thought was pretty sharp. Watch Religiousity some time, and observe the reception Bill Mahre gets in SLC. Kind of tells you a lot.
If you ever get the chance, I highly recommend "The Book of Mormon" musical by Parker and Stone. Very, very funny and expertly done. Incidentally, it was received rather cordially by the Mormon church.

Status
Not open for further replies.