Resignation

SeniorGeek

Below the Line
Among the things that tieguy said, in reference to wording one's resignation letter, was:
Sometimes its better to never let them see you sweat or become disgruntled. You never know you might need the job reference somewhere down the road.
UPS will not provide a reference to a future employer. Our litigious culture makes it too risky.

I had it easy. I did not have to choose to leave UPS, because there were no positions remaining when they worked down the seniority list to my 8½-year length of service in TSG.

In my final meeting - the closest thing to an exit interview that I had - those members of management who were conducting the meetings looked a bit shellshocked by the time I got there - but really did seem to care about what happened to the people they have worked with for years. HR had informed us that there would be no references, only confirmation of hire and termination dates. I later heard that others had been quite, um, expressive in their responses. (I had an advantage for keeping a level head: a good prospect for new employment, with a 2nd interview already scheduled.)

satellitedriver

I did understand your point. It was your definition of profanity, that did not make sense to me. For you to use a body part to make a point, then discount someone's argument of having "used" said body part as a function to make a point is a leap of logic I can not grasp. If you would have written the letter using your analogy it would then been deemed acceptable?

Lol, now thats an interesting idea. Dear Mike I can no longer work for this company because my penis is just not working like it used to before I came to UPS.

A simple, GoodBye and God Bless would be my letter.

probably mine too. Sometimes its better to never let them see you sweat or become disgruntled. You never know you might need the job reference somewhere down the road.

anyway your objection to my abstract reference has been duly noted.

To rngr regardless of how you leave the brown machine I thank you for putting your but on the line for your country.

I liked your resignation letter to Mike.
What response could they have but sympathy and understanding? That is the way to take the wind out of their sails.
I also agree about the job reference aspect, but I also must say I never left a job with that point in mind. I always gave notice because I thought that was the right thing to do.
I pulled my files at UPS when I was hired at UPS as a seasonal and was humbled by the response given by my former employers. I didn't realize doing your job the best you can, no matter how menial the task, and leaving with a smile and a thank you could have such a positive impact. At the same time I can fully understand dropping the friend-Bomb, if it is deserved.
PAX

tieguy

Banned
Among the things that tieguy said, in reference to wording one's resignation letter, was:UPS will not provide a reference to a future employer. Our litigious culture makes it too risky.

I had it easy. I did not have to choose to leave UPS, because there were no positions remaining when they worked down the seniority list to my 8½-year length of service in TSG.

In my final meeting - the closest thing to an exit interview that I had - those members of management who were conducting the meetings looked a bit shellshocked by the time I got there - but really did seem to care about what happened to the people they have worked with for years. HR had informed us that there would be no references, only confirmation of hire and termination dates. I later heard that others had been quite, um, expressive in their responses. (I had an advantage for keeping a level head: a good prospect for new employment, with a 2nd interview already scheduled.)

I have seen both sides of the argument. You're right If a potential employer calls me and asks me about the job you did then I will give him employment dates and very little else.

Many future employers have found a way around this point. They ask you to sign a release form allowing them to ask some very specific questions about the job you did.

canon

To h*** with the ERI that's more B******* than anything. Who ever got any results from that? He did it right except for the profanity. GOOD LUCK!!!

{edited by moderator... you "did it right except for the profanity" :)}

We received results from the ERI at our center. Apparently, the center manager ended up with the lowest ratings of any manager in the district. Poof... he was reassigned.

Nice forum. Looks fun.