Retirees on Brown Cafe

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A member whom I respect asked me the other day if I would prefer that retirees not post here on Brown Cafe. Let me begin by saying that I have the utmost respect for the majority of retirees that post here, whether hourly or management, as their experience and wealth of knowledge add to the discussion. I especially respect UPS Lifer for bringing us an insight in to the management side of the equation that few of us get to experience and for that I say Thank You. I would have been proud to have called you my Center Manager.

I respect Hoax for his contributions, both from his operational and non-operational experiences, and his ability to use sarcasm and dry wit to keep things loose.

705Red, who is the member who posed the question, has given me insight in to what it takes to be an effective steward and the dedication that he has not only to those under his stewardship but to the Teamsters as a whole. It is no secret that I am a UPSer first and a Teamster by deault but that does not stop me from saying "Thank you" to Red and to his efforts. Will I still bust his chops? Absolutely (BTW, how is the vending machine grievance going?:wink2:) as he will continue to bust mine.

I also had a member just the other day comment to me that "my act" was getting old. This came from a fellow Red Sox fan! There is no act--this is who I am. I do not build a false facade behind the laptop screen. These are my thoughts and my beliefs and I will not back down from either. Call me a "know it all"--whatever. It is what it is.

I guess the only solution to my personal issue with this particular retiree is to put him on ignore.

Thank you for giving me this moment to rant.

For those of you going on the cruise, have fun.

For those of us not going, WHYG.

Dave.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Dave, I'm surprised that this has not already been brought up, by you or someone else. It seems as though just about everything else under the sun has been discussed. :wink2: I know that you and ROD (may as well say it, everyone knows) have had your disagreements. Not sure why and it's none of my business. I'm not saying you shouldn't put him on ignore either. You do what you need to do. I started to put a 'but' in here but I think I will skip it.

You and I have had our ups and downs as well and you seem to have been able to let it go, as I have. The past is the past. I am happy for that. I really hope it continues. There are a lot of members here that contribute a wealth of valuable experience and information, including you. And there are nearly as many members here who contribute little to nothing to discussions. Many of these posters are not retired, although some have been fired. You mention Lifer. Knowing the man behind the avatar, I can say with 100% certainty that there is no facade there as I believe there is none from you.

I guess what I am saying is that life goes on. What we do with it defines who we are.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I do appreciate input from retirees because they can give us a perspective looking back on their UPS experience while not having to live it day-in-day-out with the stresses and irritations.

As someone else said in another thread, "No one on their deathbed ever looked back and said I wish I had worked more hours." I think retirees can give us a perspective about what is really important while we are working at UPS. JMO

If one doesn`t want retirees on here then others might as well be kicked off also. UPS sock wearers,dock pee`ers,Canadian travel agents,etc and where would we be then?

fethrs

What about Mexican cement-truck drivers?

(Sorry Upstate, I know this does not add anything meaningful to the thread, but I could not resist):happy2:

helenofcalifornia

OK, I am in support of retirees posting here too. But....when some of the retirees start pontificating about the way things are at UPS NOW, I am sorry, but they don't know how things are at UPS now. I think UPS has changed dramatically in the past 5 years. (Any of the new hires even heard of Jim Casey and his legacy?? I think not) Especially in the past two years with the economical downturn. Truck routes being combined now on a routine basis, uniforms not being able to be ordered, 9.5 grievances, the "downsizing of UPS management, etc. I too will soon be a UPS retiree and will continue to post here, but not as a UPSer who is knowledgeable about current practices. That's my thoughts on retirees posting here. Everyone has their two cents and its all valuable info, just don't pretend that you are privy to the ins and outs of the new UPS when you haven't worked for the company for the past 5 years. I have never had an issue with Rod, so this isn't aimed at him. Again, JMHO.

rod

Retired 22 years
Sorry upstate-----I'm not going to quit posting on here so will you PLEASE put me on your "ignore" list. ( I bet you can't do it.) If they were giving out awards for Biggest Crybaby you would win hands down.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Sorry upstate-----I'm not going to quit posting on here so will you PLEASE put me on your "ignore" list. ( I bet you can't do it.) If they were giving out awards for Biggest Crybaby you would win hands down.
Please don't pontificate rod. :wink2:

satellitedriver

I have to put my 2cents into this topic.
Retirees from what?
BrownCafe is not a "dedicated" site to UPSer's, past or present.
-(even though the site was started as a portal of communication between UPSers)-
BC does support sharing of opinions between UPSers, past and present.
Believe it or not,
BrownCafe is actually an open forum to all.
As a Mod,
I can only say my summation of BrownCafe's TOS is,
"Be nice or Leave".
Being nice does not mean that there can not be cut and thrust in a verbal debate/discussion ect...,
but,
when it turns into a personal attack argument that is when the referees will step in.
This site is free for all, but it will not be "a free for all".

JustTired

free at last.......
Being retired going on 2 yrs now, I still enjoy keeping up with the goings-on at UPS. A lot of that comes from this site, although I still keep in touch with a few of my former co-workers.

I don't post a lot.......but when I do, it's usually to express my opinion on a subject based on my own past experience or just what I'd like to think is common sense.

I try not to get involved in the verbal sparring that goes on from time to time. Having said that.......some of it is entertaining, some of it is tiresome, and some is just downright nasty.

Everyone has their own opinions and reasons for visiting this site. I have no problem with that. As long as they abide by the ToS, I see no reason to keep anyone from posting as they see fit. If I don't want to continue to follow a post that has denigrated to an attack campaign...I simply don't return to it.

As always.....this is JMO...others mileage may vary!

JT

bigbrownhen

We have all seen the threads that get personal and ugly. I just skip those and find another, some enjoy the mental sparring. To each their own. I have learned much from the variety of people here, both professionally and on a personal level. All of us hang out here because no one else gets what it's like to work for brown, the good and the bad. There isn't any "group" that isn't welcome here as far as Im concerned.