Road Runners.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
A buddy of mine (Mark) asked me to ride up to Vero Beach with him this morning so he could run a 5k race and then we'd ride back with a group of cyclists that are distance training. We left at 4:45am and rode 32 miles to the race. I paced him in the race, on my bike. 3 guys were in the lead, with my buddy in the middle. Toward the end it looked like he was starting to suck wind, when all of a sudden he just had a burst and went screaming past the guy in the lead, who had nothing left. This was a really great race. My buddy finished in 17:46 and is on a killer winning streak.

I thought that the ride up and the race would slow him down on the ride home, but he stayed strong. On the other hand, I got dropped from the pack with about 13 miles to go, and had to do the ride of shame at 17 mph, against the wind, UGH!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Let me get this straight--you guys rode your bikes 32 miles just so that he could then run 5K (with you pacing him) and then rode 32 miles back home? Was your car in the shop?

I thought I was doing good when I walked out to get the paper and check the mail both in the same day.:happy2:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Let me get this straight--you guys rode your bikes 32 miles just so that he could then run 5K (with you pacing him) and then rode 32 miles back home? Was your car in the shop?

I thought I was doing good when I walked out to get the paper and check the mail both in the same day.:happy2:
LOL, all in a days workout, Upstate, though I am glad to hear that you get out of the house daily.:happy2:

I just came across a collection of these old running ads from Adidas, I always liked them.

Runners. Yeah, we're different.
Nice ads. I have a pair of addidas running shorts, though I haven't worn a pair of their shoes since the eighties, (shell tops leather, like Run DMC),

LOL. Now I'm a Saucony/New Balance running shoe, kinda guy

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Saw this today:
The 53 Runner's Commandments
by Joe Kelly

1. Don't be a whiner. Nobody likes a whiner, not even other whiners.
2. Walking out the door is often the toughest part of a run.
3. Don't make running your life. Make it part of your life.
4. During group training runs, don't let anyone run alone.
5. Keep promises, especially ones made to yourself.
6. When doing group runs, start on time no matter who's missing.
7. The faster you are the less you should talk about your times.
8. Keep a quarter in your pocket. One day you'll need to call for a ride.
9. Don't compare yourself to other runners.
10. All runners are equal, some are just faster than others.
11. Keep in mind that the later in the day it gets, the more likely it is that you won't run.
12. For a change of pace, get driven out and then run back.
13. If it was easy, everybody would be a runner.
14. When standing in starting lines, remind yourself how fortunate you are to be there.
15. Getting out of shape is much easier than getting into shape.
16. A bad day of running still beats a good day at work.
17. Talk like a runner. "Singlets" are worn on warm days. "Tank tops" are worn to the beach.
18. Don't talk about your running injuries. People don't want to hear about your sore knee or black toe.
19. Don't always run alone.
20. Don't always run with people.
21. Approach running as if the quality of your life depended on it.
22. No matter how slow you run it is still faster than someone sitting on a couch.
23. Keep in mind that the harder you run during training, the luckier you'll get during racing.
24. Races aren't just for those who can run fast.
25. There are no shortcuts to running excellence.
26. The best runs sometimes come on days when you didn't feel like running.
27. Be modest after a race, especially if you have reason to brag.
28. If you say, "Let's run this race together," then you must stay with that person no matter how slow.
29. Think twice before agreeing to run with someone during a race.
30. There is nothing boring about running. There are, however, boring people who run.
31. Look at hills as opportunities to pass people.
32. Distance running is like cod liver oil. At first it makes you feel awful, then it makes you feel better.
33. Never throw away the instructions to your running watch.
34. Don't try to outrun dogs.
35. Don't trust runners who show up at races claiming to be tired, out of shape, or not feeling well.
36. Don't wait for perfect weather. If you do, you won't run very often.
37. When tempted to stop being a runner, make a list of the reasons you started.
38. Never run alongside very old or very young racers. They get all of the applause.
39. Without goals, training has no purpose.
40. During training runs, let the slowest runner in the group set the pace.
41. The first year in a new age group offers the best opportunity for trophies.
42. Go for broke, but be prepared to be broken.
43. Spend more time running on the roads than sitting on the couch.
44. Make progress in your training, but progress at your own rate.
45. "Winning" means different things to different people.
46. Unless you make your living as a runner, don't take running too seriously.
47. Runners who never fail are runners who never try anything great.
48. Never tell a runner that he or she doesn't look good in tights.
49. Never confuse the Ben-Gay tube with the toothpaste tube.
50. Never apologize for doing the best you can.
51. Preventing running injuries is easier than curing them.
52. Running is simple. Don't make it complicated.
53. Running is always enjoyable. Sometimes, though, the joy doesn't come until the end of the run.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I ran the Palm City 5K today and set my PR (Personal Record) at 19:14. My previous PR was 19:39 at the same race last year. We've had a lot of wind here this week, including today, so I didn't know if I'd run that fast, but I did. To celebrate my PR I went for a 6.5 mile run around downtown Palm City Florida. Here, take a look. First link is the race course and the second is my recovery run.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/18226855
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/18226862

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Go get'em, Steve :wink2:.
Tourist is supposed to be running his 50k tomorrow, he better report back here immediately!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I ran in the annual Tequesta "Run" for the Pies today. It was a cool run, by Florida standards and I heard people complain that it was brutally hot, LOL. This was a 4 mile race through a nice neighborhood. It was my first time running in this race, so I set a goal of 6:30 miles. I ended up running an avg. of 6:29 miles and finishing in 26:10. I cam in 10th in my age group and 59th out of more than 1,275 runners. This was a great way to make room for all of the Turkey I ate today.:happy2: Happy Thanksgiving!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I set another PR yesterday in a 10k race. It was the Classics By The Sea in Jupiter, Florida. It's a big Toys for Tots driven 5k and 10k race that is run on A1A in Jupiter finishing at Carlin Park on the beach. The weather was gorgeous. It was in the upper 50's and windy at the start of and for the entire race. My previous best time was 45:41 in September and prior to that I had not run a 10k since I was 15-16 years old.

I ran this race alongside my running partner, Mark. We decided to run this race at a 6:30/mile pace. We actually averaged about a 6:27 pace and finished 18th and 19th overall with me edging him by a .3 margin. Our times were 40:06.5 and 40:06.8. He beat me in our last race, a 5k, by 3 seconds. Here's a link to the finish line photo's.
http://www.sternpics.com/keyword/107-clas09#745369697_HtuPD

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
My running partner is running the "freezing" Disney full marathon today and is on pace to finish in 3:23.00. If she does this she'll qualify for The Boston Marathon on her first attempt. I'll keep us updated.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My running partner is running the "freezing" Disney full marathon today and is on pace to finish in 3:23.00. If she does this she'll qualify for The Boston Marathon on her first attempt. I'll keep us updated.

They showed the start of this race on CNN this morning. It did look awfully cold down there but I would gladly take that over our current +2 degrees.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
They showed the start of this race on CNN this morning. It did look awfully cold down there but I would gladly take that over our current +2 degrees.
20 degrees in South Florida is the equvalent of living in the North Pole..........is what I hear most people saying around here. I bet the people who came from all over thinking they were going to run in "Florida" and how "fun" it would be, were quite shocked.

Red Dawn

That's in February, right? A buddy of mine has asked if I'd like to do this. Maybe we can team up? Let me know.
i think it's march 20...don't quote me yet i will look it up...would like to meet up with some upser's from out their. I'm way out of shape! I'm hitting the gym now. If you do teams you have to finnish with in 5 secs of each other. I don't want to hold anyone back. But it is a lot of fun over here. seen video of jackson ville mud run looked like more mud! I sent email to the guy that host them to find out details of location time ect. so i could plain on making a trip.