Road Runners.

tourists24

I just started back into the running game this past Feb. Everything up til now has been almost all trail running. Sounds like some of you guys have a good pace; Im definitely not a fast runner but can run long distances fairly well now. My first actual race back was Oct 17th. Was a very tough 6.5 miler. It was a tune up. Two weeks after this will be my first 50K ever. You are right Steve, the bug is easy to catch

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I just started back into the running game this past Feb. Everything up til now has been almost all trail running. Sounds like some of you guys have a good pace; Im definitely not a fast runner but can run long distances fairly well now. My first actual race back was Oct 17th. Was a very tough 6.5 miler. It was a tune up for this race (http://www.shutinridgerun.com/). Two weeks after this will be my first 50K ever. You are right Steve, the bug is easy to catch
What 50k are you running? I looked over the finisher's list for for Shut in Ridge, I know a few of those peeps. Mark and Anne Lundblad (formerly Anne Riddle) have run quite a few races up this way, and Mike Mason is a member of our local ultrarunning club, VHTRC. Anne still has the women's course record at the JFK50, which is pretty much the biggest 50 miler in the US.

tourists24

What 50k are you running? I looked over the finisher's list for for Shut in Ridge, I know a few of those peeps. Mark and Anne Lundblad (formerly Anne Riddle) have run quite a few races up this way, and Mike Mason is a member of our local ultrarunning club, VHTRC. Anne still has the women's course record at the JFK50, which is pretty much the biggest 50 miler in the US.
Well my weeks are messed up after looking at the schedule, but it is the harbison forest 50k in SC coming up. I thought these 2 runs were a couple of weeks apart, but they are not. I may simply run the shut in course this coming weekend and still be able to hit the 50k race. I have trained a lot this year for the shut in simply because this is the 25 year anniversary of the last "official" time I ran it, so it is kind of an anniversary. If you look at the finish times, you will see it's a tough course. I hope to simply finish around the 4 hr mark.

I got to meet Mark Lundblad for the first time at the 6.5 mile race on the 17th (called the Black N Blue). He is an awesome runner... ummm me, not so much (but I have fun). My buddy ran the shut in last year and finished 32nd at just over 3 hours. He has kind of helped give me the drive to start running again.

You ever ran in Harbison State Forest before? Just wondering what kind of terrain to expect. Being where it is I would imagine a lot of flatness, which is why the interest for my first 50k

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Well my weeks are messed up after looking at the schedule, but it is the harbison forest 50k in SC coming up. I thought these 2 runs were a couple of weeks apart, but they are not. I may simply run the shut in course this coming weekend and still be able to hit the 50k race. I have trained a lot this year for the shut in simply because this is the 25 year anniversary of the last "official" time I ran it, so it is kind of an anniversary. If you look at the finish times, you will see it's a tough course. I hope to simply finish around the 4 hr mark.

I got to meet Mark Lundblad for the first time at the 6.5 mile race on the 17th (called the Black N Blue). He is an awesome runner... ummm me, not so much (but I have fun). My buddy ran the shut in last year and finished 32nd at just over 3 hours. He has kind of helped give me the drive to start running again.

You ever ran in Harbison State Forest before? Just wondering what kind of terrain to expect. Being where it is I would imagine a lot of flatness, which is why the interest for my first 50k
I've never run down that way, but it does look like a nice runnable course. It seems pretty similar to the Holiday Lake 50k, which I've run a few times and which is also a double loop. The only drawback to loop courses is that if you're having a bad day it's waay too easy to bail out at the halfway.
I would not recommend running the Shut In course the weekend before Harbison, even if it wasn't your first 50k. That's a recipe for a bad raceday. Whichever course you decide to run that weekend you should be tapering these last two weeks. JMHO. Normally I would vote for the 50k, but Shut In looks like a good time as well :happy2:.

lmeiler9831

aka The Gazelle
To the person that said somewhere in this thread that they don't like the runners on the side of the road.... I am that person.... Tracks? Trails? I am a female and would not like to run anywhere secluded. I am from Buffalo home of the bike path rapist... I only run that path with my father!

And also regarding running in colders temps... the perfect temp is around 50 for most people. I have run my PR in -7 temp. My best friend ran her PR when it was 95. Its differs for every runner!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I never saw this post before but Im a big time runner/coach. I ran at Grand Valley. Its a top division 2 school. My best 5k is 15:48, 2mile 9:44. Ive coached high school track and cross country for about 8years now. If you need any tips or injury thoughts i can definitely help. I had to stop running in college due to my back injury with UPS. And UPS tried to say it was running took them to court and i won. But anyways nowadays im running 30-40 miles a week. Im in about 1730-1800 5k shape now. Thinking about doing a marathon or half marathon next spring, well see.
I could only dream of being that fast. I wonder what would have been, had I continued running from my teenaged years.
To the person that said somewhere in this thread that they don't like the runners on the side of the road.... I am that person.... Tracks? Trails? I am a female and would not like to run anywhere secluded. I am from Buffalo home of the bike path rapist... I only run that path with my father!

And also regarding running in colders temps... the perfect temp is around 50 for most people. I have run my PR in -7 temp. My best friend ran her PR when it was 95. Its differs for every runner!
That's funny, because I run in day/night conditions and in the bike lane (barring bike traffic of course), sidewalk, tracks and trails and never once have I thought of being in an unsafe situation.

tourists24

I could only dream of being that fast. I wonder what would have been, had I continued running from my teenaged years.
Just come run against me Stug, you'll feel like a world class sprinter....
Back when I was military, I used to be able to do the 2 mile between 10 and 11 minutes. I have to laugh now when I check out my split times. I am far from having a runner's build. Im short and have a very stocky upper body (ex wrestler). I get jealous at some of the runners out there, but it is what it is. I enjoy the runs and since I cant compete in MPH, I am starting to look for the distance runs to challenge myself. lol

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Just come run against me Stug, you'll feel like a world class sprinter....
Back when I was military, I used to be able to do the 2 mile between 10 and 11 minutes. I have to laugh now when I check out my split times. I am far from having a runner's build. Im short and have a very stocky upper body (ex wrestler). I get jealous at some of the runners out there, but it is what it is. I enjoy the runs and since I cant compete in MPH, I am starting to look for the distance runs to challenge myself. lol
I'm coming from body builder to runner. I have huge legs and upper body but amd currently slimming down so I can go faster. The things one must give up for extra speed. When I got home yesterday and stepped on the scale, I was shocked to see 160. I haven't seen 160 since the 80's. I'm down from 170's-180's.

whiskey

I completed my second marathon today, and I think its going to be my last marathon. I was on pace to hit 3:40 (with the help of my 405 forerunner), and at mile 23, I felt a pop in my right foot. (I strained a ligament) I had to wobble/run for 2 miles, then ran out the next 1.2. I am paying for that now, I am on crutches! I came so so close to qualifying for Boston, but I am so proud that I finished. I ended up finishing in 4:05, my worst time. I think that I will be sticking to 5k's 8k's and the half. Nothing is worse than going through all that training to see your dreams fading in the final miles! I've completed 2 marathons, dozens of half's and dozens and dozens of 5k's and 8k's. I LOVE running but I think that I am going to keep it more fun! It's really good to hear everyone's running stories! Keep them coming.
Congrats on finishing your marathon! It's one thing to run 26 miles, but throw in an injury at mile 23 and not quit. That's amazing.
One time I started cramping at mile 5 of a marathon. I knew I was in for a long day. At mile 19, I quit. Discretion was the better part of valor. My body shut down and had stopped processing fluids. And that can be very dangerous. Most casual joggers are not aware of the symptoms.
No pun intended, but injuries, in the long run, can extend your running career. They give your body much needed rest.

Bad Gas!

This is for all you runners out there. Not the runners and gunners, mind you. I'm talking about people who run/jog competetively. I've been running races, 5k to 13.1miles, for about 3 years now. I also cycle, but that's another story.

Any of you get pre-race jitters? I mean, where you wake up way early, the day of the race, and start pacing through your mind about how you'll run and how you think you will, or would like to do? I find that everyday before the race, I start playing out scenarios in my head. Just wondering if anybody else feels the same way.

I know, I know, this is the Brown Cafe, and not a sports forum. I'm just asking, because I know that there are a bunch of running UPS'ers out there, and I'd like some of your input, training tips would also help. Thanks.:peaceful:

BTW, I ran a 5k today. Finished 15th overall at 20:09. That's not shabby by some standards, but by my own, I sucked. I wanted to run under 19:30.:dissapointed:

Bad Gas!

Stug,
It's good to get pre-race jitters....It cleans the colon if you know what I mean which is one main obstacle not to worry about in a race...

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

You're smart to avoid running alone on trails. When my wife goes for a long run by herself she takes her cell phone and wears one of these. We tested the alarm and it's plenty loud, the cats ran for the hills. I still worry though.

Ptrunner

I'm coming from body builder to runner. I have huge legs and upper body but amd currently slimming down so I can go faster. The things one must give up for extra speed. When I got home yesterday and stepped on the scale, I was shocked to see 160. I haven't seen 160 since the 80's. I'm down from 170's-180's.

I bet you have alot of fast twitch muscle fibers. What makes runners runners inside is having alot of slow twitch muscle fibers. You can change your muscle fibers, theyre genetically predetermined at birth. There are fast twitch oxidative fibers that can be made to have slow twitch qualities. Which can make you into an aerobic runner. The more weight you lose there will be less chance of injury as well. You can only run so much if youre over 200lbs, cycling is the best option and then start to run.

lmeiler9831

aka The Gazelle
Congrats on finishing your marathon! It's one thing to run 26 miles, but throw in an injury at mile 23 and not quit. That's amazing.
One time I started cramping at mile 5 of a marathon. I knew I was in for a long day. At mile 19, I quit. Discretion was the better part of valor. My body shut down and had stopped processing fluids. And that can be very dangerous. Most casual joggers are not aware of the symptoms.
No pun intended, but injuries, in the long run, can extend your running career. They give your body much needed rest.

Thanks! I was so close to the finish I just couldn't give up. It was the Niagara Falls International Marathon that starts in Buffalo and ends in Canada... so I could see the mist from the falls and I knew that I could do it.

They always say that if you are in pain or hit the wall before mile 10, you are in trouble. You really have to just listen to your body and know when enough is enough. I went out for a run one hot morning, and before I knew it I started to see black spots.... Lucky for me it was one of the only times I had my phone on me to call for a ride!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I worry about robbers.
Over, I've considered that, but it just doesn't seem like a practical solution to the type of sudden attack that might occur on a trail. I'm thinking it would have to be carried in something like a fannypack, which would mean trying to zip it open and get the gun out while struggling with someone with who is bigger and stronger and quite capable of taking it away if they see what you're trying to do. With the alarm, it's strapped to your arm and all you have to do is hit the button and a siren goes off. Most attackers will flee if they think they might get caught. I admit it's not perfect though, and I'm always looking for a better answer.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Stug,
It's good to get pre-race jitters....It cleans the colon if you know what I mean which is one main obstacle not to worry about in a race...
LOL, oh so true.

Over, I've considered that, but it just doesn't seem like a practical solution to the type of sudden attack that might occur on a trail. I'm thinking it would have to be carried in something like a fannypack, which would mean trying to zip it open and get the gun out while struggling with someone with who is bigger and stronger and quite capable of taking it away if they see what you're trying to do. With the alarm, it's strapped to your arm and all you have to do is hit the button and a siren goes off. Most attackers will flee if they think they might get caught. I admit it's not perfect though, and I'm always looking for a better answer.
How about that arm gun slide that Deniro wore in Taxi Driver.