Road Runners.

ol'browneye

Kudos to Steve and his family! Great to see you found something you all can enjoy and it is healthy and fun for all. At my gym there are a few families who do this and do it well.

As for me, since my two back surgeries, I can't run. It kills my back. My wife and I do really enjoy spinning and cycling. Our gym holds a 5k run for a state trooper who lost his battle with cancer. Last year I walked the course and did it in 61 minutes. My goal this year was to beat that but also finish last. I accomplished both! 42 minutes and last place. Hey, I figured if you can't be known for coming in first...

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
did a "night run last week, time 19:42..and had been a pool party with kids right before race. i Did this race last year and really like running a night. they didn't have enough lights last year and i guess that's why the time was moved up. i Didn't pay attention of time of day 6:30pm! was just trying to squeeze it in. it was 102! it was not as fun it was hot! and i don't like to get water on run but this time i tried and spilt it lol..
I don't get water either if it's a short run, but 102, sheesh! It was 87 this morning and I felt like I was dying on my 12 mile run, and we started at 6am.:dead:

Kudos to Steve and his family! Great to see you found something you all can enjoy and it is healthy and fun for all. At my gym there are a few families who do this and do it well.

As for me, since my two back surgeries, I can't run. It kills my back. My wife and I do really enjoy spinning and cycling. Our gym holds a 5k run for a state trooper who lost his battle with cancer. Last year I walked the course and did it in 61 minutes. My goal this year was to beat that but also finish last. I accomplished both! 42 minutes and last place. Hey, I figured if you can't be known for coming in first...
That's awesome, ol'b, good for you. That's a fast walk and last place is a very notable position. Some races give out last place prizes as well.

ol'browneye

That's awesome, ol'b, good for you. That's a fast walk and last place is a very notable position. Some races give out last place prizes as well.

No prize for last place here but if you look at the bottom of the list, I'm the first one there!

The gym owner used to be a state trooper with the one that died. They were very good friends and used to be cycling fanatics. Bob still rides a lot but now his partner is his wife. Before his friend died he had given Bob's wife his old Trek mountain bike. She has since gotten a new road bike. I had been talking to them about possibly buying a decent bike, (not a Wal-mart bike) when they gave me the opportunity to try out the old Trek! They told me to keep it as long as I needed and try it out hoping it would help me decide what kind of bike to buy. I felt very honored and humbled that they would let me use this bike that meant so much to them. We rode on the Katy Trail here in Missouri. Very nice bike but a little tall for me. His friend was 6' 6".

whiskey

Ran a Memorial Day 5k today. Finished in 20:50, which is a sucky time, though I did place 4th in my age group. I think I need to devote more time to running and less time to body building. I'm too competetive to be a mediocre runner. Oh yeah; Man, was it hot.
If you are serious about improving your 5k time, you have to do speed work on a track at least once a week. Most running clubs afford this opportunity. Try repeat quarter miles with a less than full recovery. You should shoot for at least 10. Or more, if possible. Your pace does not have to kill you but it has to be faster than your fastest race pace. Keep your focus on maintaining good running form. And in no time, you will be running PR's. I don't know much, but I do know, at my advanced age, how to extract a performance on race day.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
No prize for last place here but if you look at the bottom of the list, I'm the first one there!

The gym owner used to be a state trooper with the one that died. They were very good friends and used to be cycling fanatics. Bob still rides a lot but now his partner is his wife. Before his friend died he had given Bob's wife his old Trek mountain bike. She has since gotten a new road bike. I had been talking to them about possibly buying a decent bike, (not a Wal-mart bike) when they gave me the opportunity to try out the old Trek! They told me to keep it as long as I needed and try it out hoping it would help me decide what kind of bike to buy. I felt very honored and humbled that they would let me use this bike that meant so much to them. We rode on the Katy Trail here in Missouri. Very nice bike but a little tall for me. His friend was 6' 6".
Sounds like a caring community, ol'b. Hope you like cycling, it's easy on the body and great for the heart.

If you are serious about improving your 5k time, you have to do speed work on a track at least once a week. Most running clubs afford this opportunity. Try repeat quarter miles with a less than full recovery. You should shoot for at least 10. Or more, if possible. Your pace does not have to kill you but it has to be faster than your fastest race pace. Keep your focus on maintaining good running form. And in no time, you will be running PR's. I don't know much, but I do know, at my advanced age, how to extract a performance on race day.
Thanks for the advice, whiskey, I'll try this and let you know.

Salesguy

Sales Member
If you are running anyway, why not write down a lead while your at it?
Good for your condition, great for the company!

As always I appriciate your entries!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
My whole family ran their first 5k last night. It's actually the 2nd 5k for my 6 year old, who ran her first at 5 years old. The name of the race was the Downtown Dash and it started at 7pm. It was amazingly not as hot out as it had been earlier in the day where it reached 97 degrees.

My 13 year old finished in 37:18, followed by my Wife 42:29, 6 year old 42:30, 8 year old 46:45 and 7 year old 46:52 A great job for all considering they walked and ran the course. On a lighter note, everyone is gimping around today with sore muscles.:happy2:

My Wife just ran her first 5K all on her own this evening, the kids and I just watched this time. She finished in 38:15, which was 4 minutes faster than her last race. My 13 year old Daughter finished in 34:51, just over 3 minutes better than her last time.

upsgrunt

My Wife just ran her first 5K all on her own this evening, the kids and I just watched this time. She finished in 38:15, which was 4 minutes faster than her last race. My 13 year old Daughter finished in 34:51, just over 3 minutes better than her last time.

Careful Steve
IE hasn't adjusted those studies yet:happy2:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Careful Steve
IE hasn't adjusted those studies yet:happy2:
According to IE I bet they were both over-allowed.:knockedout:

I'm running the Martin County half marathon in the morning and hope to beat last years time. I ran it in 1:35.43 last year and think I'm in better shape this year.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
According to IE I bet they were both over-allowed.:knockedout:

I'm running the Martin County half marathon in the morning and hope to beat last years time. I ran it in 1:35.43 last year and think I'm in better shape this year.
I ran my race today and finished almost 3 minutes quicker than last years time. I finished in 1:32.49 which is my new personal best for this course. I felt really strong throughout the race. Here's my stats according to my Garmin. http://connect.garmin.com/splits/17063563 and here's what the course looked like. http://connect.garmin.com/player/17063563

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Congratulations Steve! Did any other family run it with you?

The garmin links were pretty cool!
Nobody else ran, but they did come out to cheer dear old Dad on. I'll be posting pictures on my blog later in the week. I'm stoked about my new PR and I love the new Garmin I have. I had the tossing and turning (runner's sleep) last night. I was beating myself up about speed and how fast I should go out.

I ended up running with our local news guy and he paced me through mile 10 which is where I made my move. We only got passed by 3 other people and he started running out of gas when I took off. It was awesome how strong I felt and the weather totally cooperated.

lmeiler9831

aka The Gazelle
I completed my second marathon today, and I think its going to be my last marathon. I was on pace to hit 3:40 (with the help of my 405 forerunner), and at mile 23, I felt a pop in my right foot. (I strained a ligament) I had to wobble/run for 2 miles, then ran out the next 1.2. I am paying for that now, I am on crutches! I came so so close to qualifying for Boston, but I am so proud that I finished. I ended up finishing in 4:05, my worst time. I think that I will be sticking to 5k's 8k's and the half. Nothing is worse than going through all that training to see your dreams fading in the final miles! I've completed 2 marathons, dozens of half's and dozens and dozens of 5k's and 8k's. I LOVE running but I think that I am going to keep it more fun! It's really good to hear everyone's running stories! Keep them coming.

Ptrunner

I never saw this post before but Im a big time runner/coach. I ran at Grand Valley. Its a top division 2 school. My best 5k is 15:48, 2mile 9:44. Ive coached high school track and cross country for about 8years now. If you need any tips or injury thoughts i can definitely help. I had to stop running in college due to my back injury with UPS. And UPS tried to say it was running took them to court and i won. But anyways nowadays im running 30-40 miles a week. Im in about 1730-1800 5k shape now. Thinking about doing a marathon or half marathon next spring, well see.

rod

Retired 22 years
I completed my second marathon today, and I think its going to be my last marathon. I was on pace to hit 3:40 (with the help of my 405 forerunner), and at mile 23, I felt a pop ifoot. (I strained a ligament) In my right had to wobble/run for 2 miles, then ran out the next 1.2. I am paying for that now, I am on crutches! I came so so close to qualifying for Boston, but I am so proud that I finished. I ended up finishing in 4:05, my worst time. I think that I will be sticking to 5k's 8k's and the half. Nothing is worse than going through all that training to see your dreams fading in the final miles! I've completed 2 marathons, dozens of half's and dozens and dozens of 5k's and 8k's. I LOVE running but I think that I am going to keep it more fun! It's really good to hear everyone's running stories! Keep them coming.

Are you going to be able to hobble into work and get on the clock Monday morning?:wink2: (work comp ya know)

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Thanks Jones! This is pushing me closer to running the ING Miami marathon in January. I think I have the bug.:happy2:
Marathons are just the beginning, Steve. click

I completed my second marathon today, and I think its going to be my last marathon. I was on pace to hit 3:40 (with the help of my 405 forerunner), and at mile 23, I felt a pop in my right foot. (I strained a ligament) I had to wobble/run for 2 miles, then ran out the next 1.2. I am paying for that now, I am on crutches! I came so so close to qualifying for Boston, but I am so proud that I finished. I ended up finishing in 4:05, my worst time. I think that I will be sticking to 5k's 8k's and the half. Nothing is worse than going through all that training to see your dreams fading in the final miles! I've completed 2 marathons, dozens of half's and dozens and dozens of 5k's and 8k's. I LOVE running but I think that I am going to keep it more fun! It's really good to hear everyone's running stories! Keep them coming.

Ouch, that sucks :dissapointed:.
I'm getting back on track now after messing up my knees pretty bad, I haven't raced in 2 years. I was sorta planning on running a half marathon on Nov. 8 just to get my feet wet, but training is going so well right now that I don't want to taper. I thought about training through it but then I would just be disappointed with my time. My real goal is to be ready for a 50k in February, so I'm looking for a half to run sometime right after New Years.
Yesterday my wife and I met a running buddy down at the lake where we do a lot of our long runs, and had the trail pretty much to ourselves because so many of the regulars were running Marine Corps. It was absolutely a beautiful day to run, crisp and cool and not a cloud in the sky. We won't get many more days like that this year.