Road Runners.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
i think it's march 20...don't quote me yet i will look it up...would like to meet up with some upser's from out their. I'm way out of shape! I'm hitting the gym now. If you do teams you have to finnish with in 5 secs of each other. I don't want to hold anyone back. But it is a lot of fun over here. seen video of jackson ville mud run looked like more mud! I sent email to the guy that host them to find out details of location time ect. so i could plain on making a trip.
Sounds like a deal if we can work it out. I'll ask some other UPS'ers in my building if they're down with that plan.

whiskey

My running partner is running the "freezing" Disney full marathon today and is on pace to finish in 3:23.00. If she does this she'll qualify for The Boston Marathon on her first attempt. I'll keep us updated.
It took me two attempts to qualify for Boston. But back in the day, the qualifying time was 2 hrs. and 50 minutes.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
It took me two attempts to qualify for Boston. But back in the day, the qualifying time was 2 hrs. and 50 minutes.
WOW. I'm sure if I put my all into this I'd be able to get that fast, though I'd probably get divorced, lose my job and my looks as I thinned down to the proper proportions.:happy2:

whiskey

Now that's old school right there. Makes me want to go run some Yasso 800's, just to see what I can still do :)
Not familiar with Yasso 800's. We focused on up to 20 repeat quarters at 70 seconds or better with a less than full recovery. That used to put us over the top. And some fond memories of running up Mount Royal many times with the McGill U. C.C.team.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Not familiar with Yasso 800's. We focused on up to 20 repeat quarters at 70 seconds or better with a less than full recovery. That used to put us over the top. And some fond memories of running up Mount Royal many times with the McGill U. C.C.team.
Yasso 800's are supposed to a pretty accurate predictor of your marathon time, it's really just a standard 800 workout where recovery time = interval time. The min:sec of your 800's will be about the same as the hour:min of your upcoming marathon. If you can knock out 8-10 800s in 2:50, you should be able to run a marathon in 2:50. Named for for Bart Yasso who figured out the connection.

And if I tried to go out and run 20 quarters at <70 I would probably collapse about halfway through :p. I was never close to being a sub 3:00 guy.

Last edited:

brownsteel

luvthastillers
I'm a newbie to the BC, so hello everyone. You guys talking about running and races is helping me to get motivated. Several years ago I considered myself a "runner" (around 60+ miles/week). My knees started bothering me so badly that I decided to take a break. It's been about 5 years since that "break", and I'm just now getting back into it. Slowly. But it's encouraging and motivating to see what you guys are doing. Thanks for that :happy2:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm a newbie to the BC, so hello everyone. You guys talking about running and races is helping me to get motivated. Several years ago I considered myself a "runner" (around 60+ miles/week). My knees started bothering me so badly that I decided to take a break. It's been about 5 years since that "break", and I'm just now getting back into it. Slowly. But it's encouraging and motivating to see what you guys are doing. Thanks for that :happy2:
I've been there, it got to the point where I had trouble getting in and out of my car my knees hurt so bad. The answer for me was taking a break from running during which I trained exclusively on a stairmaster to maintain an aerobic base and getting serious about rehabbing and strengthening my knees with leg extensions. I'm back to running 6 days a week now, but I still do a couple sets of leg extensions after every run for preventive maintenance. It's amazing what a difference that makes.
And welcome to the BC :happy2:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Welcome to the BC brownsteel. Glad to hear you took time and are now getting back to running. Try building up the muscles around the knees and you should be able to keep going. Also, check into your shoes. You may want to get fitted properly at a good shoe store. Sometimes shoes and the knowledge these stores provide can make a huge difference in your running life.

I've been there, it got to the point where I had trouble getting in and out of my car my knees hurt so bad. The answer for me was taking a break from running during which I trained exclusively on a stairmaster to maintain an aerobic base and getting serious about rehabbing and strengthening my knees with leg extensions. I'm back to running 6 days a week now, but I still do a couple sets of leg extensions after every run for preventive maintenance. It's amazing what a difference that makes.
And welcome to the BC :happy2:
I find it strange that so many runners do not use strenghtening techniques for their running parts. I'm in the gym after my runs all the time. I stretch for close to an hour and then do a core body workout. At the minimum you have to work out your legs, abs and shoulders. I make this amount of time for myself, but don't feel the need to be in the gym for 2 hrs after a good run.:peaceful:

tourists24

Welcome to the BC steel.... you are definitley not alone with your scenario. Back in 95 I had open knee surgery and had 2 screws put in to put my knee cap back together. After a couple of years after I had disc fusion surgery in my neck and 2 years ago had another one. I just returned to running last March. January 2 I ran my first 50k.

When I first started back it took a good 3 months to realize that I would ever be able to run again. I am still slow (50k took over 6 hours), but enjoy it all the same. BC has some good friends to help keep you motivated so welcome back to the game.

brownsteel

luvthastillers
Welcome to the BC steel.... you are definitley not alone with your scenario. Back in 95 I had open knee surgery and had 2 screws put in to put my knee cap back together. After a couple of years after I had disc fusion surgery in my neck and 2 years ago had another one. I just returned to running last March. January 2 I ran my first 50k.

When I first started back it took a good 3 months to realize that I would ever be able to run again. I am still slow (50k took over 6 hours), but enjoy it all the same. BC has some good friends to help keep you motivated so welcome back to the game.

Wow. That's a little more intense than my achy knees :wink2: And even more incentive to work hard to get back in the game. When people fight back after those type injuries, it helps make me aware that I certainly have no excuses. That's great for you! I hope to follow that path.
I don't know that I will get back to quite as many miles per week as I was when I stopped, but I do miss the feel of finishing a good long run. My goal at this point is to enjoy some nice runs throughout the week, maybe 3, and then a longer run on Sat. I used to run 6 days a week. At this point if I can get back to 4 days a week, I will be happy. I'm shooting for a half marathon in Sept. Got a long way to go :happy2:

My hat is off to you guys, I can't even walk 60 yards without stopping to rest my back. Hopefully we can get some kind of treatment that will help sometime soon.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I'm just back from running the ING Miami Marathon yesterday. I was quite the bundle of nerves for like 7 days before the race. I had trouble sleeping and all I could think about was trying to do well. I ran my last training run on Tuesday the 26th. That was 10 miles at a 7:23 pace avg, so I was feeling quite well. I warmed up and strecthed the rest of the week, and got a massage on Friday to work out any tight muscles. I ate well and hydrated and I think this all paid off.

My training partners, who were also running the race, and I went out to the pasta party at the Hardrock Cafe the night before the race. We stayed out till about 9/9:30 and went back to our hotels to "try" and sleep. I tossed and turned all night, but wasn't too anxious because I knew I would have trouble sleeping.

Sunday, the morning of the race, my partners husband drove us to the race, whcih started at the American Airlines Arena in downtown Miami. There was a huge crowd and you could feel the race energy. My partner and I were in the 3rd corral, behind the wheelchair athletes and the elite's. I had signed up with the 3:20 pace group and started the race with them. Shortly after we started I noticed a guy running next to me that was running about my pace. We hooked up together and slowly pulled away from the pace group.

My new buddy's name is Carlos and he is originally from Brazil, but now lives with his Wife in Miami. Our partnership paid off well for us. We ran at a 7:30 pace for about 24 miles. My legs started getting fatigued and Carlos pulled away from me with over 1 1/2 miles to go. I was totally in my head at this point. It was decision time. Do I just slow down or give it all I have left? I chose to give it my all. The crowd was going haywire and gave me so much energy that I actually sped up for the last 1/2 mile or so.

I finished in 3:19.16! That 3hrs 19mins 16secs. I am so happy with my time! I walked up to Carlos after the race and gave him a great big hug, telling him thank you for letting me tag along. This was the 3rd marathon for Carlos and he beat his previous best time by over 20 minutes. This was my first marathon and by running such a great race I qualified for the Boston Marathon in April 2011.

My running partners didn't finish as well. One dropped out at the halfway point and the other developed some knee soreness and ran/walked finishing at 3:57, which is still respectable, and even more so since she had run the full Disney marathon just 3 weeks earlier in bitter cold temps.

I could go on and on about this, but I'll leave it at this. I did take the day off today because my quads are absolutely fried. I may even take tomorrow, depending on how I feel. I am so glad that I did this. BOSTON HERE I COME!!!

attachment.php

100_2166.jpg

whiskey

Congrats on a good effort and running a negative split. Unfortunately, your quads will be worse tomorrow and going down stairs will be pretty nasty. I can't see you jumping out of your package car 200 times tomorrow. But then again, once I made the punch the same day as a marathon. That was silly.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
That's awesome Steve, great job!
But a real man would have gone to work today and demanded a split...