Safety committees!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I noticed that today our center manager was out on road with the fifth driver this month. It seems that if they went the whole month without an injury, all drivers names would go into a hat, 5 drawn, and for those 5 he would go out and do all the work. All the driver had to do was drive. And that included a one hour lunch at any place the driver wanted to eat on his tab.

So you see, some do get the vision of safety and why committees can make a difference.

We have had several things that were very successful, including a 3 bout boxing match between myself and the center manager at the time (we came close, one day out and we had a twisted ankle, I think the center manager paid him off), another time, during peak we didn't have any injuries for November and December, so the end of January we set up a dunk tank full of water and 100 pounds of ice. And the center got to pick who they wanted in the tank more, me or the center manager. That was very popular. That was staged at the beginning of a work day, with breakfast catered for all that came. So there are many things you can do that can work. And it can be fun as well as productive. Get involved, if you dont, it is another item that the company runs instead of the drivers. You dont like the way they are being run and used, then get involved and change it. Take an active roll, you might find you can make a difference in the safety picture of the workplace.

d

BROWN430

We had a driver on the safety comm. that used to go out with the sups. and follow drivers around . He was a rat. hIS WHOLE 30 + career was a joke. He would rat coverage drivers out that ran his route. He would try to hide in the car when he was out with the sups. spying on his fellow teamsters. That is until he was spotted and the steward found out. He soon stopped his spy missions.

We have a series of about 60 different tests(high blood pressure test, alcoholism test, smoking test, drug abuse test, etc), but we usually only take them online as a punishment for having an accident or injury. Every now and then we'll have to take one of these tests on paper, and our green UPS loves slashing and burning a rain forest to see to it that happens.

Niceride

Wait you people think the Safty committee has some kind of power to get something done.....LMAO....UPS has always and will always continue do what the hell they want don't kid yourself. I am on the committee I know....

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Our safety committees do some pretty cool things like follow drivers on their routes to check their methods with a so called anonymous punch list with no names attached. Well the short of it is, our B.A was pissed off, really pissed off and said the safety committee is no more. The job of safety snitch must go up for bid! People please don't ever agree to do something like this.

So it's ok to have a committee, but god help me if another "teamster brother see's me doing wrong" he better not say anything.....and we wonder why...