Scum Of Buffalo Looting And Destroying Property

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
They are flat out refusing to prosecute a list of crimes because those crimes typically are committed primarily in minority communities and it's unfair, unjust, and racist according to them to put more minorities than whites in jail. And those communities have specifically voted to reduce police budgets. Not a lack of taxes as these are high tax areas.
The left typically ignores inconvenient facts.

bacha29

They are flat out refusing to prosecute a list of crimes because those crimes typically are committed primarily in minority communities and it's unfair, unjust, and racist according to them to put more minorities than whites in jail. And those cities have specifically voted to reduce police budgets. Not a lack of taxes as these are high tax areas.
Show me their budgets. One city comes to mind. In response to public outcries that took a small part of the police department budget and used it to hire mental health and avail them to the police and to assist them in matters that are of a mental health nature.

vantexan

Correction...conviction.....But then again and acquittal is a waste of scarce public funds. And if you're a DA and you've got too many acquittals on your record chances are you won't be DA for very long. Consider also the cost of public defenders, feeding and paying jurors, the judges time, the cost of paying for the time of key outside qualified expert witnesses for the prosecution.
Blah, blah, blah. The D.A.'s are either committed ideologues or politicians seeing which way the wind is blowing or both.

bacha29

Blah, blah, blah. The D.A.'s are either committed ideologues or politicians seeing which way the wind is blowing or both.
Let me ask you this. Would you support a tax increase and chances are it would be a significant increase in order to fully fund law enforcement according to their stated needs including the kind of tax increase for which you would be liable for your fair share according to the tax law and funding formula?

vantexan

Show me their budgets. One city comes to mind. In response to public outcries that took a small part of the police department budget and used it to hire mental health and avail them to the police and to assist them in matters that are of a mental health nature.
What happened after police budgets were slashed in as much as half? Crime soared. Cops quit or retired. And most of those cities after a public outcry restored funding but are now very shorthanded in their police departments. Meanwhile in places like NYC there's no bail required and criminals are let immediately back on the street. Far cry from when Rudy Giuliani made NYC one of the safest big cities in the country. But somehow you think in places like extremely liberal NYC it's the very small conservative minority refusing to pay more in taxes that's causing this. The irony is that many of that small conservative minority has left NYC and other big liberal cities for Florida, making Florida more conservative and those cities have lost a significant chunk of their tax base. Why? Because those conservatives no longer felt safe in NYC and elsewhere. The irony.

vantexan

Let me ask you this. Would you support a tax increase and chances are it would be a significant increase in order to fully fund law enforcement according to their stated needs including the kind of tax increase for which you would be liable for your fair share according to the tax law and funding formula?
If it could only be legally used for funding law enforcement yes. But in liberal big cities it's not the lack of funds but the unwise use of funds that's the issue.

bacha29

If it could only be legally used for funding law enforcement yes. But in liberal big cities it's not the lack of funds but the unwise use of funds that's the issue.
If you don't live in one of those "big liberal cities" and pay nothing in the way of taxes into them then who are you or for that matter I to be the judge of how they spend their money?

Here's an example and granted it's just one example of the challenges facing municipal police forces.
I live in a township. 85 square miles population about 7,000. It's police department is funded by means of real estate taxes. Same goes for the adjoining borough. Population around 5800. Police department same funding source. Recently both the township and the borough's real estate tax millage rate reached the maximum allowed by law. No longer enough to even begin to meeting the departments of both municipalities funding needs. To raise the millage above the maximum required going to court or a voter referendum. Neither of which was likely to be approved..

This left the two municipalities with no other choice but to form a regional police department merging the two making coverage that much thinner and resources to conduct investigations that much harder to come by. Again you get what you pay for but nothing more.

vantexan

If you don't live in one of those "big liberal cities" and pay nothing in the way of taxes into them then who are you or for that matter I to be the judge of how they spend their money?

Here's an example and granted it's just one example of the challenges facing municipal police forces.
I live in a township. 85 square miles population about 7,000. It's police department is funded by means of real estate taxes. Same goes for the adjoining borough. Population around 5800. Police department same funding source. Recently both the township and the borough's real estate tax millage rate reached the maximum allowed by law. No longer enough to even begin to meeting the departments of both municipalities funding needs. To raise the millage above the maximum required going to court or a voter referendum. Neither of which was likely to be approved..

This left the two municipalities with no other choice but to form a regional police department merging the two making coverage that much thinner and resources to conduct investigations that much harder to come by. Again you get what you pay for but nothing more.
Are you serious? You just went through a bunch of posts telling us how we should be spending our money. I'm pointing out the obvious. Defund the police and crime rises dramatically. That affects a lot of innocent people just trying to live their lives. And you're telling me to mind my own business. Never stopped you. By the way is crime serious in your neck of the woods? If so maybe you should consider Florida. We have a law and order governor. :)

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Sure, we can build more jails, hire more judges and prosecuting attorneys....just as long as you're willing to pay for it. There is no such thing as a low cost criminal justice system.
The cost of incarcerating an inmate is now over $100.000 per year. Not only do you have to feed clothe and house them but you have to provide for their healthcare needs including prescriptions such as insulin for diabetics, statins for hypertension and heart disease, hepatitis any number of afflictions that require care that the inmate is entitled to as well as access to mental health services. Inmates are entitled by law to access to healthcare services.
You know the old saying...."talk is cheap"...operating a prison isn't and will likely become even more expensive in the future.
You could get a more rigorous prosecution if you want it and if you are willing to pay for it. The first place you'll have to start will be a substantial increase in staffing levels and more importantly an even larger increase in salaries in order to attract qualified candidates.

As the saying goes...."show me the money". and that's exactly what the system is telling those who are demanding a more aggressive stance toward criminal apprehension and prosecution.
Not if you go the way of Sheriff Joe Arpaio methods of incarceration.

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
The governor did activate the National Guard but people knew that their priority would be stranded travelers and truckers out on the interstates leaving downtown easy pickings for looters. Making stores more secure and protected from these losses will now have to be a priority.....And it will no doubt be expensive undertakings.
If I owned a business I would have stocked up on supplies and camped out at my store with a few friends. We could have had us an old fashioned turkey shoot. I'd went "Korean" on their asses.