Seasonal Driver curious of best way to become full time

ManInBrown

Never and I mean EVER, refuse to do something

You will be asked to do all types of dumb :censored3: practically every night when you are finished

I really think they do it to some, to test the person to see how willingly they are to be abused

We had a casual years ago, who was an absolute LOCK to be hired permanent. Burned every route he did to the ground. They loved him. They kept asking him to do things every night when he was finished. It started to wear on him. One night maybe mid November, they told him they needed him to drive about 25 minutes from where he was to cover a pickup before he came in. He refused. On car was waiting for him when he got back. Fired him. Never to be seen again

BigD Bri

I just passed my road test to become a seasonal driver and am hoping to become full time. I have a friend and also have spoke with a manager saying right now is the best time to try and get in with a lot of retirees and a few people have only waited a couple months to become a FT driver. My question is after seasonal is over and I work my ass off what is the best next step to become a full time driver? Would getting into the warehouse be my best bet?

I'm in the same situation, except I got the Seasonal driving bid after 3 weeks as a preloader. Going to Integrad this week.. I have asked the same question here, asked HR people, asked my sups, pretty much asked anyone that might know, and the truth is, no one really knows. It's seniority based, so it will depend on the needs of your center on how quickly we can get to FT. Again, on that I've been told differing versions of my center's needs from different HR personel, so no real help there..

The best advice I've gotten here is the same as most of these guys are telling you: Don't be late, don't call in, don't get hurt, don't wreck the truck, bust your ass, and hopefully something good will happen... Myself, I'm prepared to go back to slinging boxes after Peak for however long it takes to be a FT Driver. If it takes a long time, I'll wait a long time. I'll do TCD or Air driving if I can get the bid, whatever I can do to get behind a wheel until my time comes.

As I read somewhere here, this is a job that pays slightly better than most most Phd or MBA level jobs, with a much better pension plan and benefits, and it's a job that only requires a drivers license and a basic level of education. Not sure where else you'll ever find something like it. It's not an easy job, but it shouldn't be for what it pays..

So for me, I've sort of stopped worrying about how long it's going to take, because no one can really tell me.. All I know for sure is that my permanent status is protected (I'm past 30 days), so beyond that, depends completely on when drivers ahead of me quit, retire, or get fired.

So guys like us, just need to do work.. And wait..

BigD Bri

Never and I mean EVER, refuse to do something

You will be asked to do all types of dumb :censored3: practically every night when you are finished

I really think they do it to some, to test the person to see how willingly they are to be abused

We had a casual years ago, who was an absolute LOCK to be hired permanent. Burned every route he did to the ground. They loved him. They kept asking him to do things every night when he was finished. It started to wear on him. One night maybe mid November, they told him they needed him to drive about 25 minutes from where he was to cover a pickup before he came in. He refused. On car was waiting for him when he got back. Fired him. Never to be seen again

This.. Is really solid advice, I'm guessing..

So, don't tell them no.. Think I can do that.