Seat Belt Pledge

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Lets start with the basic answer to the original question on this thread. Would anyone sign it? Do we have to sign it? Should we sign it?

The answer is simple. Refer to article 6 of the national master agreement. It clearly provides the answer to all these questions.

No one has to sign anything outside the limitations of the contract that would constitute as an "extra agreement". By pledging, or being asked to pledge, you are in effect making a contract with UPS outside the contract.

Whether or not in the future, UPS tries to pull that piece of paper out when it catches you with the belt off, and attempts to use it in your labor hearing or arbitration is another question. NEVER sign anything other than the back of your paycheck.

If you sign anything with an insurance company, and you get into an accident, and if coincedentally you have the seatbelt off, there is a possibilty the insurance company may transfer liability to you (depending on state laws).

So, the answer lies in the contract. NO. Dont sign any agreements or pledges no matter how benign they appear on the surface.

Peace.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I wear mine. I may forget for a nano second, and thats when they will be right there. Good Lord, we are treated like machinery. I always have my door shut also, but from time to time, maybe twice a day Ill forget for a second, and it shuts itself. We had a 25+ yr driver fired today, for having his door open. I have to wonder, how many nano seconds it was open. I got yelled at for looking at my diad during the pcm, yet I could recite verbatim the whole Pcm. Just exactly how stupid do they really think we all are, that they have to reprimand us for second grade things. It is insulting, but it pays well. But where is the respect for being a human being?
I guess thats why no one can take the time to present any of us with our yrs of service awards, safe driving awards, etc. Our center will need to build a spare room to store them. But the only thing that is important is drivel. Beat us daily about injuries and accidents, usually not involving us.
Thanks UPS you are such a great company, pay us so well, customers love UPS.
Yet UPS treats us like imbeciles. How did we ever get to this point?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
We got to this point by becoming "fat" in the managerial ranks.
Now, the fat, is desperately scrabbling to justify their existance.
Hopefully last years cuts were just the tip of the iceberg and the remaining suits will only have time for meaningful tasks.

over9five

Staff member
Lets start with the basic answer to the original question on this thread. Would anyone sign it? Do we have to sign it? Should we sign it?

The answer is simple. Refer to article 6 of the national master agreement. It clearly provides the answer to all these questions.

No one has to sign anything outside the limitations of the contract that would constitute as an "extra agreement". By pledging, or being asked to pledge, you are in effect making a contract with UPS outside the contract.

+100. The definitive answer.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We got to this point by becoming "fat" in the managerial ranks.
Now, the fat, is desperately scrabbling to justify their existance.
Hopefully last years cuts were just the tip of the iceberg and the remaining suits will only have time for meaningful tasks.

Last years "cuts" were the equivalent of a 500 lb. man having liposuction and removing a few ounces of excess fat from beneath his chin. He might look a bit leaner... from the neck up at least...but if you widen the camera angle a bit it becomes obvious that the truth of his situation hasnt really changed.

island1fox

:happy-very:Obviously the petition accomplished what it was intended to do which was to create discussion and awareness signed or not.
To me personally any driver fireman, police etc who does not make use of a seal belt is not too bright.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Intersection accident. Now to solve the problem we have a crack team of Suits coming in next week to do observations on us. Apparently whatever their regular job is can wait.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, we have issued another round of management cuts. They will be taking place in these areas ....."

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Intersection accident. Now to solve the problem we have a crack team of Suits coming in next week to do observations on us. Apparently whatever their regular job is can wait.

Here's my prediction; they will show up, make a few observations, have several hours of meetings, and wind up inventing a new acronym for us all to memorize and recite. They will find some way of quantifying their efforts into a metric, and they will then manipulate that metric in order to create the illusion of an accomplishment. Promotions await!

over9five

Staff member
Here's my prediction; they will show up, make a few observations, have several hours of meetings, and wind up inventing a new acronym for us all to memorize and recite. They will find some way of quantifying their efforts into a metric, and they will then manipulate that metric in order to create the illusion of an accomplishment. Promotions await!

Will they hand this over to idiots in cubicles to implement, or are they the idiots in cubicles?

rod

Retired 22 years
The only thing they will accomplish is to run up their expense account charges at some fancy motel and restraunt to where it exceeds the cost of the intersection accident. Then they will leave town patting each other on the back and congradulating each other on what a bang up job they have done.

Bristol Brown

:happy-very:Obviously the petition accomplished what it was intended to do which was to create discussion and awareness signed or not.
To me personally any driver fireman, police etc who does not make use of a seal belt is not too bright.

What if he is backing his vehicle 15ft should he wear his seat belt then? Can anyone tell me how you can be safer wearing a seatbelt when backing your vehicle at a snails pace?