Seat Belt Pledge

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Conspiracy can figure out why it never stuck, but at one point (early 70's), it was going to be law. This was the 1970's. If it was really needed, it couldve been accomplished. Youre guess is as good as anyone elses

It was realized that the owners of the cars who didnt want to wear the seat belts were simply bypassing the system by pulling the belt out of the reel far enough to activate the switch and then tying a knot in it.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Yes... No reason... Except, as I said this was not the only goal.

Many here thought the sensors were stupid because we already had nearly perfect compliance. That wasn't true.

We now have 99.9% compliance in Telematics centers with the existing system.

I doubt its as simple as you say to wire the seat belt to the ignition.

As I said, I told you why they didn't. This method improved safety, Automotive, and performance.

Your method would either have been additional expense and / or do less than what was chosen.

BTW, I rent cars often. Most lock out the ignition from starting without the brake pedal being pushed. I have never had one that locks out based on the seat belt..... I wonder why? Maybe its not as easy to do as thought? I don't know....
Sorry to go off subject, but I was wondering this. What are you doing in all those rented cars?

Bristol Brown

A few facts have been overlooked.

There have been a number of deaths and serious injuries caused by the operator falling out of the seat while backing or by hitting their head on the vehicle or a pole next to the car while leaning out of the door opening while backing.

It is very clear that enforcement encourages use, saves lives and prevents injuries.

UPS vehicles in the UK are fitted with a rear camera and mirrors on both sides,there is no need to stick your head out to reverse so there is no need to wear a seatbelt while backing on to a loading bay at very low speed.There is no realistic example where a seatbelt can keep you safe when backing in fact the seatbelt can restrict your movement when backing.

curiousbrain

UPS vehicles in the UK are fitted with a rear camera and mirrors on both sides,there is no need to stick your head out to reverse so there is no need to wear a seatbelt while backing on to a loading bay at very low speed.There is no realistic example where a seatbelt can keep you safe when backing in fact the seatbelt can restrict your movement when backing.

What if another vehicle drives into you while you are backing up?

Catatonic

Nine Lives

What if a meteor strikes the truck while backing?

Bristol Brown

What if another vehicle drives into you while you are backing up?

What if he does? How will your seatbelt keep you safe?

If a meteor hit your truck again your seatbelt would be useless and could possibly hinder your escape from the vehicle.Its like saying a high viz vest will stop a package falling on you.

curiousbrain

What if he does? How will your seatbelt keep you safe?

Might prevent you from being thrown out of the vehicle, either by the initial impact or as a result of rolling or falling. It might prevent the inertia from giving you bodily injury - e.g. whiplash. It might prevent your head from hitting the steering wheel or other hard surface, thus rending you unconscious.

Would you not agree?

iowa boy

Might prevent you from being thrown out of the vehicle, either by the initial impact or as a result of rolling or falling. It might prevent the inertia from giving you bodily injury - e.g. whiplash. It might prevent your head from hitting the steering wheel or other hard surface, thus rending you unconscious.

Would you not agree?

In some of our vintage package cars, we have the low back seat that does nothing to protect your head from bouncing off the bulkhead once it bounces off the steering wheel when you only have a lap belt to hold you in the vehicle. I agree that the belt will keep you in the car, but the whole whiplash thing gets thrown out the window when you only have a lap belt to secure you in the vehicle.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Would you not agree?

It might rip you in half at the waste.

Re-Raise

Restrict your movement when backing??? What are you doing in there?

Just wear your seatbelt. It is a pretty easy habit to get into.

Fasten the seat belt and turn the key, I can't even imagine not doing it anymore.

curiousbrain

In some of our vintage package cars, we have the low back seat that does nothing to protect your head from bouncing off the bulkhead once it bounces off the steering wheel when you only have a lap belt to hold you in the vehicle. I agree that the belt will keep you in the car, but the whole whiplash thing gets thrown out the window when you only have a lap belt to secure you in the vehicle.

I was just throwing out arbitrary examples, but I defer to your experience; I stand 2/3 corrected.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Our Center manager was standing outside this morning in his fancy orange vest watching drivers arrive. He asked one driver if he was wearing his seat belt in his personal vehicle. None of your damn business. We rewarded him with yet another accident tonight. I swear the more this company pounds safety the more accidents we are going to have. Everyone is on pins and needles all day.