Seniority for bidding and vacations

Packmule

It's not really an issue for me. A coworker and myself had gotten the contract books a short while back and were discussing some of the wording. I love some parts of law, and a good debate. I was hoping to hear from anyone that had personally dealt with this sort of thing.
I have 5 years Pt years and 32 Ft. I Am second on our bld's seniority list. Number one had been with the company 4 1/2 years less than me, but because he got FT 6 mos before me he will always be one step ahead. Should add, he was in a different center which the company closed down. this is why he was able to dovetail into our bld's and keep his seniority.
Used to suck, but not since we both got high enough to pick first on vacations.
Nice guy and I will miss him if he leaves before me.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I agree that the vacation selection process needs to be tweaked. The selection order should still be based on classification seniority while the total number of weeks should still be based on company seniority; however, I agree that it is unfair that senior guys get all the prime weeks while junior drivers are left to pick from the scraps. The selection process should be done in several rounds----the first round everyone would choose their first two weeks with each successive round following the same format until all vacation weeks have been selected. Yes, I am a senior driver, but I am not that old that I don't remember how frustrating it was to not be able to choose time off while the kids were on their school vacations.

I also agree that no one who is on vacation should be able to work unless everyone else is already working. I disagree that they not be allowed to run their own bid route.
especially these old timers who have grown kids with their own children who take off spring break and all of the summer..bs...and this is something that should just be agreed on by the company and the union..NOT used as a bargaining chip during negotiations..

Coldworld

60 months and counting
A few years ago this was a hot topic in my center. Not having enough steward business to do, I did an analysis of the vacation selections (200+ on our list) and found the most senior drivers with 7 weeks averaged 3.5 summer weeks while the next tiers of 5 & 6 week drivers averaged 4+ summer weeks. Now that's logical in that these guys most likely have younger kids off school in the summer. So at least in this center, it wasn't the greedy senior drivers after all.

Before switching to any other selection, do some math. Twice through will leave very few summer weeks left for senior guys in round two and nothing for junior employees and that will be the case for many years.

Switching systems means those guys that sacrificed those vacations in prior years lose twice. Leaving the once through in place will eventually pay off.

A better solution (IMO) would be to either negotiate increased vacation pay for non summer weeks or pay 43 hours for summer weeks, 47 hours for non-summer, and watch the summer open up. Then it remains a seniority choice and money makes people do strange things...
how about just let a larger amount of drivers off every week..when they started to combine centers they didnt raise the amount of drivers off every week until they absolutely had to and i believe around here it was only a couple more....the drivers are going to get paid for vac..open the weeks up

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I have 5 years Pt years and 32 Ft. I Am second on our bld's seniority list. Number one had been with the company 4 1/2 years less than me, but because he got FT 6 mos before me he will always be one step ahead. Should add, he was in a different center which the company closed down. this is why he was able to dovetail into our bld's and keep his seniority.
Used to suck, but not since we both got high enough to pick first on vacations.
Nice guy and I will miss him if he leaves before me.
why dont you guys make it a big celebration and leave together on the same day..maybe the company will break out the apple juice and cookies...

barnyard

KTM rider
I am not sure where to ask this question:

My SO had a standing route from Arkansas to Mississippi. He was told today that a returning senior guy now has his route and he has to go to Texas. Can they do this? I am confused on how this occurs.

Sounds like a question he/she should be asking his/her shop steward.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
especially these old timers who have grown kids with their own children who take off spring break and all of the summer..bs...and this is something that should just be agreed on by the company and the union..NOT used as a bargaining chip during negotiations..

This is what seniority is all about