Sheeting as EC instead of Missed

Ouch

[quot="UpstateNYUPSer, post: 1276211, member: 12570"]What if the delay was caused by a mechanical issue with the plane?[/quote]
What If your aunt was a man? She then would be your uncle. Lol lol lol lol.

CharleyHustle

All I know is that 25 some years ago when there was no Next day Air and you were loaded up to the gills you stayed out till you made an attempt on every package no matter what the weather was. EC, missed, NSN, Not In, Who Cares, I'm just glad that the company finally realizes that there is no sense trying to make headway when there is no headway to be made and they get us off the road when the weather dictates we should be off the road.

upschuck

EC is a valid reason if you leave building with a normal stop count and you can't get them off if you were delayed because of weather, and not only if their street of driveway wasn't passable. If they load you up with 30, 40, or 50 more stops that can't be attempted and cut runs, then those should be marked as missed, anything else is UPS being dishonest to the customer.

urbina362

Is not working as directed!, is doing the right ethical thing. Missed package is a missed package. So you get fired for being honest, what do you think the arbitrator would say?, just because your center management team has no honesty does not mean you don't.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Is not working as directed!, is doing the right ethical thing. Missed package is a missed package. So you get fired for being honest, what do you think the arbitrator would say?, just because your center management team has no honesty does not mean you don't.

There is no denying that EC is being used as a dispatch tool and that undelivered packages in an area not affected by inclement weather should be sheeted as missed rather than EC. That being said, are you willing to sacrifice your livelihood based solely on a principle that does not personally affect you? Are you willing to sit on the sidelines for up to 6 months or more waiting for an independent arbitrator to decide your fate? While this arbitrator may indeed agree with your principle you would most likely lose your case based upon your failure to work as directed.

Thankfully our center manager does not allow the indiscriminate use of EC; in fact, we must call and ask "permission" before using EC.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

I for one am not going to put 29.5 yrs on the line because I would win at arbitration.
I admire your grit, but I will let you change the UPS world.
Pick your battles, this isnt one I wish to fight.

Z

ZQXC

I for one am not going to put 29.5 yrs on the line because I would win at arbitration.
I admire your grit, but I will let you change the UPS world.
Pick your battles, this isnt one I wish to fight.

Know when to hold them; but, more importantly, know when to fold them.

some1else

Banned
I will say this from the "customer" perspective. I go through alot of trouble to keep my driveway and sidewalk perfect. I do the 12hr ups route and get home and clean it up. My driveway is 800' long and it is down to the gravel the same day it snows every single time. The main road is always plowed becuase their is a DOT depot just past me. Whenever i am getting a package and it says nondeliverable due to weather conditions i take a nice photo of the road and driveway and shoveled sidewalk and porch; to include the nice big turnaround i put in when i moved here. Guess how happy i am that some idiot at ups or fedex save some $ by understaffing when i go through all that trouble to have my address ready to recieve my deliverys

Luckily working for brown i know better than sending it to the carrier (usually have most problems with "lasership" types and sometimes fedex; mail does ok and ups knows me! Its on counter by diads if it isnt on my porch) i send the picture to whoever shipped the package. Generally amazon or ebay seller. I get a refund or discount most of the time.

kingOFchester

Work as directed.

Document everything and keep it in a nice organized file.

keep copies of messages sent.

If instructed to do something shady use the 800 number, but work as directed and document.

If you are ever called into office for something and they are giving you a warning letter and have your file open, break out that file you have and start flipping threw it. If you are good at documentation, 10 to 1 you will walk out without even a "talk with".

barnyard

KTM rider
My center has always been fairly conservative in using EC. Late air is almost always X, very rarely coded weather and when it is, it is legit.

We had an inch of snow the other day and I had 4 ECs. An inch sounds like nothing and it usually is, but it was followed by 45 mph sustained winds. By noon, driveways that were good earlier, had 3 foot drifts at the entrance.

I am always torn when I EC a package. If I can get down the road and get rolling once I stop, I will almost always walk a package off. If stopping means I get stuck, then I EC it.