Shop Steward Sent Home!

So today I was sent at the end of the day away from my work station to go help load because a belt was in need of help and my shop steward was beside me loading (or pulling work) rather, when he had noticed a supervisor loading 3 trucks. (Nothing new at my
Local) I saw the belt supervisor loading it also and was just about to ask my shop steward if he had seen him loading as well. Luckily, he caught on to it and told him why he was loading.. he responded saying because he had sent one of his loaders home. They then began going off at each other... Shop Steward: "Its Union Law NOT to load cars you know?" PT Sup: "But my FT Sup is YELLING at me telling me to get the truck bulked in before departure"

Then the two just started going at each other hourly vs. management type of deal blah blah; in conclusion to the whole argument the PT Sups sends my Shop Steward home.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
So today I was sent at the end of the day away from my work station to go help load because a belt was in need of help and my shop steward was beside me loading (or pulling work) rather, when he had noticed a supervisor loading 3 trucks. (Nothing new at my
Local) I saw the belt supervisor loading it also and was just about to ask my shop steward if he had seen him loading as well. Luckily, he caught on to it and told him why he was loading.. he responded saying because he had sent one of his loaders home. They then began going off at each other... Shop Steward: "Its Union Law NOT to load cars you know?" PT Sup: "But my FT Sup is YELLING at me telling me to get the truck bulked in before departure"

Then the two just started going at each other hourly vs. management type of deal blah blah; in conclusion to the whole argument the PT Sups sends my Shop Steward home.
Grievance it.

Get paid.

HardknocksUPSer

And?

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I always told people, just file on me. Sometimes it's the only way the guys upstairs will listen to staffing concerns. I never did get filed on as a PTer though. None of my local sorters cared.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

Sounds like you have a rookie for a Steward.

A good Steward will never argue with a sup on the belt.

A good Steward will never use the term "union law."

A good Steward may ask the sup why he is loading, but will most likely just document the time and, at the end of the day, ask the center manager to pay an hourly for the time.

If the center manager refuses to pay, it is a no brainer grievance. It will win everytime.

Sounds like you have a rookie for a Steward.

A good Steward will never argue with a sup on the belt.

A good Steward will never use the term "union law."

A good Steward may ask the sup why he is loading, but will most likely just document the time and, at the end of the day, ask the center manager to pay an hourly for the time.

If the center manager refuses to pay, it is a no brainer grievance. It will win everytime.
My steward is an old rag.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
So you just blatantly disregard the contract?
Sounds about right
When you're a PT sup, you do what you're told by the Full Timers as well.
He doesn't control staffing or has any power to make grievable decisions.
If he's told to do something that can be grieved, he still has to do it.
A union employee just has to say something then file a grievance.

It's up to the FT managers to keep staffing full.

When you're a PT sup, you do what you're told by the Full Timers as well.
He doesn't control staffing or has any power to make grievable decisions.
If he's told to do something that can be grieved, he still has to do it.
A union employee just has to say something then file a grievance.

It's up to the FT managers to keep staffing full.
All FT managers care about are numbers in the end. They can care less if he or she (FT Sup) works their PT Sups loading trucks and gets hit with a grievance for doing so.

Method$

All it takes is a backbone. I filed on a full time sup doing a rte after a driver was fired (the firing was just). Ft sup pulled my aside and thanked me.

(Maybe he was working too hard?!?)

Drink Craft Beer

Within the last year (on the pre-load) PT sups are told to harp about stacking outside the truck which leads to egress/safety issues. Then they'll go over and pull the loader's stuff off the belt for him/her while loader putts the stack-out(s) away.

Do it all the time and when you bring it up to them they say it was an egress issue which means Sups allowed to do it. But the areas you see this mostly are the heavy areas that are set up by the FT Sups for the loader to fail.

Widened the belt, sped up the belts, have more people scanning at one time, have a big pile of semi-sorted :censored2: going down the belt (splitters expected to load trucks also), can't see all your stuff going down but still expected to pull it (and pull for your neighbor if he missed anything) = more time looking for your :censored2: than you have time to put it away.

Long gone are the "single file" days