Should i switch to feeders ?

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Feeder is definitely NOT for everyone. If you'd enjoy air conditioning, improved mental health, a wide array of start times/shifts, more family time and upwards of a $50k a year raise, then feeder is definitely not the job for you. Stay in package and live in denial since in package "you really have a good thing going." Yeah, right.

Yeah I have to agree with Overpaid Union Thug. Your post might apply to you but definitely not to everyone. For me personally my mental health is fine in package, nothing stressing me out. My area doesn't get too hot or cold so air conditioning doesn't mean much. I actually like my everyday start time of 8:30am, I'm a creature of habit so different start times would suck for me. More family time I wouldn't be sure about but I can't see it being that much more with the longer hours in feeder. Speaking of which I know it's longer hours and a little extra per hour but I doubt it's 50K more. I made 105K last year so you're telling me I'll be getting 155K? And yeah I DO have a good thing going IMO. I love my route, I'm outside and active, seeing fine women out there everyday and getting paid nicely for it.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I could never adjust to working at nights like that as well. I turned it down a few times because it doesn't fit our family's overall lifestyle and plan.

Feeders is not for everyone and there is nothing wrong with that. I know many great feeder drivers and many great package drivers that all have a lot of time in and retired happy and well.

It's a individual choice. Nothing wrong either way

Overpaid Union Thug

We should have that, but the FT feeders guys say that a feeder job cannot be PT. The bosses say that they cannot have a package route do CPUs because then they would need more feeder qualified cover guys.
They are mistaken. There are combination package/CPU runs in my area. But not out of my center. And the need to qualify more drivers in feeders is not a valid excuse. But it's an excuse none the less.

Our CPU work is given to another building and it's allowed by our local. The funny thing is that they (the local) and, the feeder drivers in the building they mainly represent, would go ape shiiiat if anyone from another building made pick ups in their area. It would be squashed immediately. Double standards are a bitch.

azupser

Made two stops today, one of those was lunch! Feeder the only way to go!

Attachments

• 1459367252855.jpg
    1459367252855.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 229

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Yep. For me the only real advantage would be the AC in the tractors. But then again...... the cool air would likely cause me to pass out while driving. LOL
Many of the rigs that run at night into the morning have the ac on to help keep the drivers awake... You get too comfy with the heat on and you start to fall asleep..

MethodsMan

Feeder is definitely NOT for everyone. If you'd enjoy air conditioning, improved mental health, a wide array of start times/shifts, more family time and upwards of a $50k a year raise, then feeder is definitely not the job for you. Stay in package and live in denial since in package "you really have a good thing going." Yeah, right.

and work 60 hours a week? I'm good. I'll take my 45 hours. I work to live, not live to work.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
most feeder drivers will tell you it was the best decision they ever made. easier on body. so much so that you will have to work out at the gym to keep off the pounds.

the night work can be a blessing in disguise if you use your imagination. more time with kids actually. time to take care of drs. bank , etc. during business hours. it does take time to get used to sleeping days. cover windows, fans , and probably a sleep aid. you can get by with 5-6 hrs sleep since you can take an hr meal break/meal and nap. that's what most drivers do that work night feeder bids.

sure, it will probably be 55-60 hrs but it's not physical . plus you feel like you are your own boss. nobody really bothering you. the feeder runs we have have pretty liberal allowances. you can take you time and do things the right way and still be ahead of schedule. usually in feeder , safety is most important .

you can listen to sirius/xm radio all night . sometimes it doesn't even feel like you are working.

the best part is the prestige and respect you will get from other drivers. UPS feeder drivers are considered some of the best and we usually are the best. and well paid. even though i am retired , the prestige and respect I got is the part I miss the most.

good luck.

Overpaid Union Thug

So what center does he drive out of . He no longer drives feeders at the creek .
Definitely not here. Maybe he followed one of the runs that were moved to Massman. Other than that there's no other way to switch buildings in our local. Short of a new building opening up and getting forced there. Maybe he bid inside?

gorilla75jdw

They are mistaken. There are combination package/CPU runs in my area. But not out of my center. And the need to qualify more drivers in feeders is not a valid excuse. But it's an excuse none the less.

Our CPU work is given to another building and it's allowed by our local. The funny thing is that they (the local) and, the feeder drivers in the building they mainly represent, would go ape shiiiat if anyone from another building made pick ups in their area. It would be squashed immediately. Double standards are a bitch.
In which building does the combination of CPU and package pick ups take place . It definitely does not happen at the CREEK. I am interested in your answer because just like you , there is a number of folks that would love something like that over here at the Creek.

gorilla75jdw

Definitely not here. Maybe he followed one of the runs that were moved to Massman. Other than that there's no other way to switch buildings in our local. Short of a new building opening up and getting forced there. Maybe he bid inside?
#1 , what new building opening up ? I do know they are breaking ground on expanding White's Creek in June (,or so they have said they are ).

#2 . I had assumed with our past conversations you were working out of the Massman building . What building is your home ? If that answer needs to remain unknown I understand . But on my end , White's Creek is my home .

#3 as far as the employee I mentioned earlier . I know him personally, although I haven't spoke or communicated with him since he followed his work to Massman , but I do know factually (as,a steward ) that he followed work out of White's Creek to the Massman facility. If you think he followed his work to another facility I would like to know you think he now runs out of ?

Overpaid Union Thug

#1 , what new building opening up ? I do know they are breaking ground on expanding White's Creek in June (,or so they have said they are ).

#2 . I had assumed with our past conversations you were working out of the Massman building . What building is your home ? If that answer needs to remain unknown I understand . But on my end , White's Creek is my home .

#3 as far as the employee I mentioned earlier . I know him personally, although I haven't spoke or communicated with him since he followed his work to Massman , but I do know factually (as,a steward ) that he followed work out of White's Creek to the Massman facility. If you think he followed his work to another facility I would like to know you think he now runs out of ?
Im not in Massman. There is no new building coming up. That I know if v anyway. I only mentioned it because in our local that is the only other way for a full-time employee to switch buildings. Usually by force. Some of your co-workers there were forced to Whites Creek from Massman years ago. That guy could only have followed work that was moved to Massman a while back.

I didn't think anyone followed those runs though. There was a concern about what would happen to them if their run didn't have enough work.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Many of the rigs that run at night into the morning have the ac on to help keep the drivers awake... You get too comfy with the heat on and you start to fall asleep..
i ran with the windows open when that happened to me. also stopped every hr and a half to do a walk around and bump tires.

when super tired would run around set 3-4 times or do jumping jacks.

ManInBrown

I've never heard anyone regret it.
We've had a bunch go feeders in the last year. Not a single one came back. And the ones I have spoken to said it's unbelievable. It's like working for a different company. They all said other than the hours sucking, it's CAKE. They don't lift a finger, and a few said they could never do one day in package ever again.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
We've had a bunch go feeders in the last year. Not a single one came back. And the ones I have spoken to said it's unbelievable. It's like working for a different company. They all said other than the hours sucking, it's CAKE. They don't lift a finger, and a few said they could never do one day in package ever again.
That just tells you how much this company screws the drivers and inside employees....have to get every second out of you