Something that really annoys me on Brown Cafe...

oldngray

nowhere special
Almost every union thread gets derailed and turns into the same name calling after the third or fourth post. Newbies would quickly run away if that was all they saw.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
So what is the answer? Ban veteran members for being post happy so we can maybe get new members? Where do you draw the line? Sounds like a whole bunch of Mod work to me then.
Well, let's see where some open discussion gets us. Not thinking banning people is the answer and as for this mod (me) I'm also not into more mod work. I actually like it better when members self moderate.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
So what is the answer? Ban veteran members for being post happy so we can maybe get new members? Where do you draw the line? Sounds like a whole bunch of Mod work to me then.
I think a good starting place might be for Cheryl or the mods to simply talk to the chronic offenders and ASK them to voluntarily change their behavior. If that doesnt work, their off topic posts could simply be moved to the Meaningless Fluff or other appropriate folder as needed. Basic housekeeping and online etiquette, not censorship.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Is when someone who is apparently desperate for attention (A) necroposts a bunch of old threads and (B) clogs up every thread with irrelevant banter and one-line responses to other individuals rather than using the Private Message feature.
The fact that we see more and more people using the phrase "on topic" in their subject line indicates to me that they also have a concern about their thread disintegrating into a bunch of meaningless banter. It gets annoying having to continually scroll thru page after page of posts that amount to nothing but 2 people sending text messages to one another that have nothing at all to do with the original topic.
Rant over thanks for listening.
Good rant.

Can't say I agree however. This whole site for many of us, is simply pure- entertainment purposes only.

Last edited:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Well, let's see where some open discussion gets us. Not thinking banning people is the answer and as for this mod (me) I'm also not into more mod work. I actually like it better when members self moderate.

I suppose that this forum could easily be described as social media. And, in any social setting, different personalities will be involved. I know that I don't agree with everyone I deal with day to day, and I don't here.

Like I stated earlier, use the ignore button. It really is a wonderful tool. And as for newbies, most are treated fairly as long as they don't come in and ask the same questions over and over. There is a stickied thread to guide them. And, as a matter of fact, a couple posters over in the "Romper Room" often give them the best and most honest answers.

soberups

Just because it annoys you really shouldn't be a reason for all that moderation.
I agree.
But if it annoys new members to the point where they dont come back, that isnt good for Brown Cafe as a whole.
I know I am on here a lot less than I used to be. I used to get on here during my break time at work, and I seldom do that any more because if I only have 10 minutes for a break I dont want to waste half of it scrolling through spam.
If I feel that way I suspect others do also.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I suppose that this forum could easily be described as social media. And, in any social setting, different personalities will be involved. I know that I don't agree with everyone I deal with day to day, and I don't here.

Like I stated earlier, use the ignore button. It really is a wonderful tool. And as for newbies, most are treated fairly as long as they don't come in and ask the same questions over and over. There is a stickied thread to guide them. And, as a matter of fact, a couple posters over in the "Romper Room" often give them the best and most honest answers.
What's "Romper Room"? Union forum?

hyena

I agree.
But if it annoys new members to the point where they dont come back, that isnt good for Brown Cafe as a whole.
I know I am on here a lot less than I used to be. I used to get on here during my break time at work, and I seldom do that any more because if I only have 10 minutes for a break I dont want to waste half of it scrolling through spam.
If I feel that way I suspect others do also.
So is this really about new members or you?

Johney

I think a good starting place might be for Cheryl or the mods to simply talk to the chronic offenders and ASK them to voluntarily change their behavior. If that doesnt work, their off topic posts could simply be moved to the Meaningless Fluff or other appropriate folder as needed. Basic housekeeping and online etiquette, not censorship.
Again you are asking for people who volunteer here to do double duty to appease you? If it's really that big of a deal to you then you word the poll, set it up, follow-up. Then maybe Cheryl will change things. Of course she can do what she wants it is her site and we are all invited to. All I'm saying is this hasn't seemed to be an issue until now.

soberups

This has nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing with anyone.
Its about forum etiquette, necroposting and thread hijacking.

soberups

So is this really about new members or you?
If it bothers me and prevents me from coming here as much as I used to then I suspect it has a similar effect on others who are new to Brown Cafe. If that assumption is incorrect then so be it. I do know that Brown Cafe is the only forum I belong to where this sort of behavior is tolerated.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
This has nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing with anyone.
Its about forum etiquette, necroposting and thread hijacking.

No disrespect intended, Sober, but you started the thread saying you are annoyed.

We may not all agree with you. It's the internet, deal with it.

soberups

Short of myself reading through the entire TOS can you direct me to where it says this is forbidden?
I have never read thru the TOS either so I dont know if it is forbidden or not.
If it is, it should be stopped. If it isn't, then perhaps it should be.
That would be a decision for Cheryl to make. I am merely expressing an opinion, nothing more.

Johney

I have never read thru the TOS either so I dont know if it is forbidden or not.
If it is, it should be stopped. If it isn't, then perhaps it should be.
That would be a decision for Cheryl to make. I am merely expressing an opinion, nothing more.
I'm guessing it is not there. Cheryl and the mods do seem to do their job enforcing the TOS rules so for what is happening is against it I believe it wouldn't be happening. I'm out on this. You don't like it? Start a poll, you're a veteran member follow-up with your results if it seems there needs to be a change my guess is Cheryl will make it happen. Until then ignore people who annoy you.

soberups

No disrespect intended, Sober, but you started the thread saying you are annoyed.

We may not all agree with you. It's the internet, deal with it.
Point taken.

In hindsight, I probably should have chosen a better title for the thread.

I shouldn't expect Brown Cafe to conform to my wishes. I just hope the behavior I am seeing does not cause others to stay away.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Point taken.

In hindsight, I probably should have chosen a better title for the thread.

I shouldn't expect Brown Cafe to conform to my wishes. I just hope the behavior I am seeing does not cause others to stay away.

I've been on here a little longer than you and @Johney has been here a little longer than me. BC has changed, a lot. It will continue to change. Jeez, blame Google for making it easier to find.

Just relax and have fun.