Standoff!

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by soberups, Oct 16, 2009.

1. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

I walked off a long driveway delivery and when I got back to the truck I had a passenger.

Fortunately for me she was a real sweetheart, and the biggest problem I had was that she followed me to my next 2 stops so I finally had to put her in the back and take her home to keep her from getting hit by a car in the road.
    pretty pitbull.jpg

2. MC4YOU2

MC4YOU2 Yep, not wearing brown anymore

Thanks for sharing Sober, my route dogs make my day a lot of the time. They are as much a part of my attitude as my best customers. I have 2 pits bulls at home and am always on the lookout for cool pit pix. This ones a keeper!

3. soberups

Heres another one
    buddy 2.JPG

4. MC4YOU2

Cool! My 2 Pits. Gotta love em.
    IMG00009.jpg

5. soberups

To this day I get choked up thinking about my pitbull Sheba. I had her for 15 years, and finally had to put her to sleep because her arthritis got so bad. I really miss her. She was a brindle, and I never did crop her ears or tail, so she looked very gentle and goofy. She shared a bed with our toy poodle, and would frequently play with our cat. She was a lap dog, basically a 75 lb tongue with a pit bull attached to it. Crap, I'm getting weepy and I need a kleenex....

6. dilligaf

dilligaf IN VINO VERITAS

Sober, I know what you mean. I have had pits before and they are great dogs. Had a choc female and a yellow brindle male. They had beautiful puppies. Had 3 litters when my boys were very young and my boys would wade in and play with those puppies from the day they were born.

7. MC4YOU2

I feel your pain brother. These are my two older friends gone for almost 4 years now, but forever in my heart, for sure. The last 2 pix are of my stepson's pit who also lived with us for years, who loved to climb trees!
    bubbachelsea.jpgTitan tree 1.jpgtitan tree 2.jpg

8. ol'browneye

ol'browneye Active Member

Sorry Sober but IE called and said your bulkhead door was open way too long at that stop and all knowing telematics decided you left it open while you walked that stop off. This picture is their proof! You're fired!

Seriously though, some of the nicest dogs I run into on my route are pitbulls. We even had one customer that got a lot of pkgs for his home business put "dog is friendly " on his labels so any different driver wouldn't be afraid of his pitbull, and she really was the sweetest thing.

I had one house that had 2 very friendly pitbulls. One day I pull up and as I approached the house they were jumping on me and licking me. I saw what I thought was a rag or a mophead laying by their door. As I got closer I realized it was the neighbors little yorkie. His throat had been ripped out and there was blood everywhere! I just thought "Nice doggie."

9. helenofcalifornia

helenofcalifornia Well-Known Member

10. Nikki

Nikki New Member

lol it happens, thankfully our pets dont go for others pets. my cat (3month old siamese ) likes squirls and birds, and so do our dogs...if they catch something i let them eat it. most people think its gross but its just a fresh diet to them, lol

11. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

12. trplnkl

trplnkl 555

That proves it, even other dogs hate those yapping irritating yorkies.

13. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

It's a certain brush stroke an artist uses on canvass.

14. ideliver2u67

ideliver2u67 20 Down

Maybe its just all the news headlines I have seen. But I am scared to death of Pitbulls. I have had a couple on previous routes and none have been the kind where you wanna chance a friendly pat on the head, without losing an arm. My daughter just baught a blue Pit from Alaska, and picked it up from the airport on Friday, so maybe my fear of them will change as i get acquainted with the breed. HOPEFULLY!!!

15. dilligaf

dilligaf IN VINO VERITAS

Pits are great dogs but they are like any other dog, if they aren't raised right then they are dangerous. Just like Shepards, Rotts, and any ankle biter you can name.

I have raised Rotts and Pits and have Boxers now. Any dog has to be taught manners and if the owners don't have any than like as not the dogs won't either. If your daughter teaches her dog the rights and wrongs then you won't have any problems and that dog will be the best dog there is. Set your ground rules with the dog when you are around it and stick to them everytime you are around the dog. And start when the dog is still a puppy. All the basics - sit stay down come heal. All dogs follow an alpha leader, it is their nature. If you establish yourself as an alpha leader from the get-go then you will have far less problems in the future.

16. ideliver2u67

ideliver2u67 20 Down

Thanks for the info dilligaf. And believe me, for as much as I will be around this dog, I will give your techniques a shot. But if I cant work anymore cause I lose an arm or a leg, you are gonna have to answer to my supervisor. lol

17. dilligaf

dilligaf IN VINO VERITAS

HA! You have to find me first.....................:surprised:

18. helenofcalifornia

helenofcalifornia Well-Known Member

But what about those stories that say a sweet Pit just turned crazy wild and attacked for no reason? Legend or fact?

19. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

Yeah! When their pitbulls maul some kid, the first words out of the owners mouth are always, "He is sooo sweet, he'd never attack someone!".

20. ideliver2u67

ideliver2u67 20 Down

You never hear that about a bassett hound!!! I will stick with the small dogs, Thank You... lol