Stock

vantexan

I’m genuinely interested in where you think this company is going? All the advertisement this new contract did for UPS is going to have their warehouses full of handlers waiting for six figure driving jobs. FedEx has shown their priority is NOT their company drivers. And is still trying to hire $15/hr handlers, who have zero interest in staying here. There’s the UAW strike going on where they’re demanding 40% increase. And they’re going to get it. Personally I think companies the size of FedEx are not going to be able to stay non-union if they don’t start ponying up some competitive money. And by competitive I mean competing against inflation. This company is having a really really really difficult time letting go of the way they’ve always done business in regards to employees. The days of slowly reducing benefits, and dragging out pay progression are coming to an end for places like FedEx. What do you think? Do you think after this merge shakes out, there will be a leaner, more lucrative company standing? Or is it just going to be the Big Lots of shipping after this lol.
They likely will never be generous, but inflation is another matter. If they don't pay better than other jobs available in a given area then people will choose those other jobs rather than run for FedEx. What used to be the case was FedEx offered benefits and a defined pay progression. Even when they started screwing with the raises they still started people off better than what many local jobs did and had a retirement plan/healthcare(sort of). Stripping all that away and keeping pay down is likely to make current turnover look reasonable. I know it's a corporate dream to have everyone work for peanuts and no benefits but considering the demands they put on employees I think they're being extremely shortsighted.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I’m genuinely interested in where you think this company is going? All the advertisement this new contract did for UPS is going to have their warehouses full of handlers waiting for six figure driving jobs. FedEx has shown their priority is NOT their company drivers. And is still trying to hire $15/hr handlers, who have zero interest in staying here.
UPS has always had handler turnover because people either were tired of or had no interest in waiting forever for a well-paying driver job. That won't change. If you think FedEx should pay $20 for a handler, you're nuts. You'd get a slightly better crop of handlers but either you can do the job or you can't.

There’s the UAW strike going on where they’re demanding 40% increase. And they’re going to get it.
Huge if true.

Personally I think companies the size of FedEx are not going to be able to stay non-union if they don’t start ponying up some competitive money. And by competitive I mean competing against inflation. This company is having a really really really difficult time letting go of the way they’ve always done business in regards to employees. The days of slowly reducing benefits, and dragging out pay progression are coming to an end for places like FedEx. What do you think? Do you think after this merge shakes out, there will be a leaner, more lucrative company standing? Or is it just going to be the Big Lots of shipping after this lol.
They have the money and will gladly spend it to put out any fires.

It will be fine

They have the money and will gladly spend it to put out any fires.
It’s a shame they see putting out fires as more profitable than fire prevention. I’d think the terrible customer service and cost of fixing messes would be more expensive than a minor increase in worker pay to remain competitive but it appears that’s not the case.

zeev

FedEx has always been a b.s. company but the changing business environment has exposed their ineptitude . Amazon and the warehouse model with truck delivery has changed the world. A friend of mine in the food business uses a company out of Kansas City that stores food in caves and can guarantee shipments in 1 to 2 days anywhere in n the country. The FedEx plan is just to run small package into the ground and become a trucking company with planes.

Artee

If you think FedEx should pay $20 for a handler, you're nuts. You'd get a slightly better crop of handlers but either you can do the job or you can't.
We are not in the largest market, but handlers at Express around here start out at $19.50+/hr before this last announced raise. Head 100 miles from us and handlers are easily over $20/hr.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
If you think FedEx should pay $20 for a handler, you're nuts. You'd get a slightly better crop of handlers but either you can do the job or you can't.
Still hiding in the 20th century, I see.

People who make more money can be incentivized to work harder in order to keep their job.

Obviously, that isn't how FedEx works at Corporate.

59 Dano

It’s a shame they see putting out fires as more profitable than fire prevention. I’d think the terrible customer service and cost of fixing messes would be more expensive than a minor increase in worker pay to remain competitive but it appears that’s not the case.
And sometimes the best option is a controlled burn.

59 Dano

We are not in the largest market, but handlers at Express around here start out at $19.50+/hr before this last announced raise. Head 100 miles from us and handlers are easily over $20/hr.
I was referencing his situation where they make $15.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
The UAW auto workers, some of the laziest people on the planet, would like a moment for rebuttal.
"The myth that unions shield “lazy” workers at the expense of a workplace’s highest achievers is a common one (which is funny, because who is lazier than a manager who makes six figures to “just check in” periodically while other people do all the actual work).
Organizer Furman said one of the easiest ways to rebut the idea that unions drive talent away is to look at two of the industries with the most powerful unions in the U.S.: professional sports and acting. “The NFL, the Major League Baseball, the NBA, Hollywood, they all have very strong unions,” Furman said. “They don't ‘protect bad basketball players.’ If it were true that excellence at your job means you don't need a union, then why are the best workers we know of—the people who are on TV for how good they are at their jobs—union members?” Five Common Anti-Union Myths, Busted

59 Dano

"The myth that unions shield “lazy” workers at the expense of a workplace’s highest achievers is a common one (which is funny, because who is lazier than a manager who makes six figures to “just check in” periodically while other people do all the actual work).
Organizer Furman said one of the easiest ways to rebut the idea that unions drive talent away is to look at two of the industries with the most powerful unions in the U.S.: professional sports and acting. “The NFL, the Major League Baseball, the NBA, Hollywood, they all have very strong unions,” Furman said. “They don't ‘protect bad basketball players.’ If it were true that excellence at your job means you don't need a union, then why are the best workers we know of—the people who are on TV for how good they are at their jobs—union members?” Five Common Anti-Union Myths, Busted
I like how they argue that Joe Blow, who works on a Ford assembly line, can't be a lazy union guy because Patrick Mahomes is really good at football.

Got to really love that Vice.com journalism!