Stock

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I like how they argue that Joe Blow, who works on a Ford assembly line, can't be a lazy union guy because Patrick Mahomes is really good at football.

Got to really love that Vice.com journalism!
"An irrelevant conclusion, also known as ignoratio elenchi or missing the point, is the informal fallacy of presenting an argument that may or may not be logically valid and sound, but fails to address the issue in question. It falls into the broad class of relevance fallacies."

PT Car Washer

"SubTropolis is a 55,000,000-square-foot (5,100,000 m2), 1,100-acre (4.5 km2) artificial cave in the bluffs above the Missouri River in Kansas City, Missouri, United States, that is claimed to be the world's largest underground storage facility."
My dad when he was a Union truck driver for Super Value was tripped there a few times either for pick up or delivery.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
"An irrelevant conclusion, also known as ignoratio elenchi or missing the point, is the informal fallacy of presenting an argument that may or may not be logically valid and sound, but fails to address the issue in question. It falls into the broad class of relevance fallacies."
I said the UAW guys are lazy, and you come up with nonsense about NFL players. In the broader sense, it's attempting to compare some of the scarcest and most specialized skillset to an abundant pool of unskilled labor.

I'm not sure what the latin term is, but it's known colloquially as comparing apples and oranges.

Aquaman

I said the UAW guys are lazy, and you come up with nonsense about NFL players. In the broader sense, it's attempting to compare some of the scarcest and most specialized skillset to an abundant pool of unskilled labor.

I'm not sure what the latin term is, but it's known colloquially as comparing apples and oranges.
Go paint a pickup truck and tell me if it’s skilled labor. You’re arrogant dude.

vantexan

Go paint a pickup truck and tell me if it’s skilled labor. You’re arrogant dude.
In those factories so much is automated and the parts are made so precisely it doesn't take high skills to assemble things. What it does take is being on your feet for long periods doing repetitive work that breaks you down over time. From that perspective I don't blame the workers from being any different than UPS workers in wanting good compensation for wearing themselves out. The question is how much is enough? Don't kill the company demanding too much. And folks like @59 Dano just flat out hate that a union gives the workers a say. They are there to be used for the management's ends to make management wealthy. Anything that inhibits that is despised.

59 Dano

Go look at the qualifications to get a production job. HS diploma, ability to pass a drug test, and willingness to work different shifts. Those are the big ones. They hire people off the street, just like FedEx does for couriers.

Why don't you STFU until you figure out what you're talking about? Maybe you could take your own advice. Go get a job pushing the button on the machine every couple of minutes that puts the tailgate on and tell me it's skilled labor.

Last edited:

59 Dano

In those factories so much is automated and the parts are made so precisely it doesn't take high skills to assemble things. What it does take is being on your feet for long periods doing repetitive work that breaks you down over time. From that perspective I don't blame the workers from being any different than UPS workers in wanting good compensation for wearing themselves out. The question is how much is enough? Don't kill the company demanding too much. And folks like @59 Dano just flat out hate that a union gives the workers a say. They are there to be used for the management's ends to make management wealthy. Anything that inhibits that is despised.
Dude I don't care one way or the other if they belong to a union.

yadig

Go look at the qualifications to get a production job. HS diploma, ability to pass a drug test, and willingness to work different shifts. Those are the big ones. They hire people off the street, just like FedEx does for couriers.

Why don't you STFU until you figure out what you're talking about? Maybe you could take your own advice. Go get a job pushing the button on the machine every couple of minutes that puts the tailgate on and tell me it's skilled labor.
I wish FedEx had them same qualifications for a front line manager!

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American

Curious. Have you ever worked in a union shop?

In my experience (union shop in a RTW state), there were abuses on both sides that ended up being mitigated by the fact there WAS a union. As in your case, management was limited to the abuses they would attempt to foist on employees. Employees abusing the system were usually left unprotected, and rooted out, by their own stupidity.

So, unless you know from personal experience that this was an outlier, you are speaking from ignorance.

Aquaman

Sorry… I forgot you know everything.

59 Dano

Curious. Have you ever worked in a union shop?

In my experience (union shop in a RTW state), there were abuses on both sides that ended up being mitigated by the fact there WAS a union. As in your case, management was limited to the abuses they would attempt to foist on employees. Employees abusing the system were usually left unprotected, and rooted out, by their own stupidity.

So, unless you know from personal experience that this was an outlier, you are speaking from ignorance.
Worked in a union shop. IBT. They fought like hell to make sure we got the same pay and benefits that our company's non-union shops made. Winning!

But anyways, the comment was about UAW auto plant workers. Go visit a plant sometime. It's not 1947 anymore.

59 Dano

Most managers become rtd’s! They finally get tired of the abuse and lies and they make more money too. Who’s the dummy now?
Not sure why you'd brag about the RTD ranks being filled with failed managers, but okay.

Aquaman

It's not knowing everything, it's looking at the job requirements.

Perhaps you should give it a try before you strut in and act like these guys are splitting the atom.
Being a well adjusted grown man, is knowing there are people who are less educated, less qualified and less intelligent that can do things at a level you can’t.