Strike called off! Contract agreed to by June 30th!

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I got a bonus.....as a part-timer. Around that time. It happened. Most took it happily.

I took the bonus but was not happy. I could see where more and more members would be replaced by lower wage PT jobs. I was correct.

There was no contractual bonus in 82.

I swear the 82 Contract had a bonus.. Casey passed on and willed it to his employees (Union and Union free) his minions used it to sell us out for a two tier concession …memory not as good as it was… could be wrong..:wheelchai

If there was, it would have been outside the contact. Casey didn't pass until June 6, 1983.

I honestly don't remember. I was just a know-it-all PT punk at the time.... :biggrin:

oldngray

nowhere special

If there was, it would have been outside the contact. Casey didn't pass until June 6, 1983.

I honestly don't remember. I was just a know-it-all PT punk at the time.... :biggrin:
I'm thinking it was more like 85 or 86. I was full time then but remembered what it was like to be part time. Plus I was still part time in 82.

Over70irregs

DO NOT SETTLE CONTRACT EARLY. Inflation is moving so fast you will be down a 2-3 years worth of value increases before winter. Push that B-);h to July 31+……. COLA is just a fart 💨 in the wind.

DriverNerd

DO NOT SETTLE CONTRACT EARLY....Push that B-);h to July 31+
If the company gave us everything we asked for and had it agreed to by the middle of May* I'd vote yes in a second. I don't see the reason it has to be dragged out to the very end.

*Of course this isn't going to happen.

PT Car Washer

If the company gave us everything we asked for and had it agreed to by the middle of May* I'd vote yes in a second. I don't see the reason it has to be dragged out to the very end.

*Of course this isn't going to happen.
The biggest problem is different groups want different things. Some want a higher pension, some want to eliminate the 22.4 position, some want a higher starting wage both PT and FT, others want to eliminate the 4 year progression etc.

Thebrownblob

The biggest problem is different groups want different things. Some want a higher pension, some want to eliminate the 22.4 position, some want a higher starting wage both PT and FT, others want to eliminate the 4 year progression etc.
And yet everyone of those things could be addressed, doesn’t mean we will get exactly what we want, but it does mean we get something.

PT Car Washer

And yet everyone of those things could be addressed, doesn’t mean we will get exactly what we want, but it does mean we get something.
We used to look forward to contract time as a chance to gain either more time off or higher wages or better benefits. Now it is just what are we willing to give up.

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
We used to look forward to contract time as a chance to gain either more time off or higher wages or better benefits. Now it is just what are we willing to give up.
we can give up minimum wadge union members being shorted by ups at every opportunity they get.cutting everybody and sups doing our work to get their numbers up!!

Swanson

Or how about union members doing the same job, except one is making 40 an hour the other is making minimum wage.What type of union is that?How are we brothers n sisters with ups splitting us up like that?

PT Car Washer

Or how about union members doing the same job, except one is making 40 an hour the other is making minimum wage.What type of union is that?How are we brothers n sisters with ups splitting us up like that?
Never used to be like that. Everyone from Feeders to unloaders to the guy that cleaned the toilets made within a couple Dollars the same wage. And the Union was stronger because of it.

Swanson

Never used to be like that. Everyone from Feeders to unloaders to the guy that cleaned the toilets made within a couple Dollars the same wage. And the Union was stronger because of it.
its a bad scene,i'm a union guy in my blood,from my great grandfather getting shot at by the feds to start the ilwu out here.im in a fight with mangement everyday at work.its tough when we have people accepting being ripped off everyday coming in early setting up for free(shaping up) and being afraid of management.i tell them their rights but they are afraid

qdg2

I was in Automotive till around 1990.

From my start(with the Co.(very early 80's) till 90....somewhere in there we got a signing bonus. $500-$1000 was a lot of money back then.....buy a lot of gas....we got people making $500 a.....DAY!

qdg2

its a bad scene,i'm a union guy in my blood,from my great grandfather getting shot at by the feds to start the ilwu out here.im in a fight with mangement everyday at work.its tough when we have people accepting being ripped off everyday coming in early setting up for free(shaping up) and being afraid of management.i tell them their rights but they are afraid
Been going on 42 years here......