Telematics and lunch break......

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Im too old to use that excuse and I know kOC was being sarcastic,(ITS HIS SIG LINE) but when you get to the end of the female cycle (CALLED MENOPAUSE) you cannot predict, when the visitor will visit. And trust me its not fun to call the center be on speakerphone, (unbeknownst) AND TELL THEM TO BRING YOU SOME CLEAN BOWNS, PADS, AND SThU, OR COME AND GET MY TRUCK AS i NEED TO GO HOME.
I remember being told to use that excuse, I never used that excuse, til it happened. And did everyone walk away and ignore me? Hell no I got in and everyone, I mean everyone knew, and was asking Are you ok? For Gods sake dont they have wives? Yes Im ok, its a normal function, just not real normal right now.
But Ill bet I could use it now to shut them up, they are so oblivious they dont even know how old I am.

brownman15

ups does not have to pay u to find a shady spot to eat. Weather it be 30 seconds away or 15 minutes away. All situations are not the same, but in this case ups is correct. Lunch starts when u break trace and u should be back on trace when lunch is over. If u have an office job, and lunch is from 1200-100, your lunch starts at 1200, not when u reach the cafeteria.

an office job you are relieved of duty when you leave your desk where are job we are relived of duty when we leave our truck and dol says to be on a meal period you have to be relieved of duty and dot says all drive time must be reported for hours of service the company and driver can be fined for falsifying logbook and our diad is our logbook

804brown

Sorry, but I think she was wrong. She had to know that every 28 days she had a monthly visitor. Many many other jobs would require a female to be prepared for this predictable event. Will an airline land so that a stewardess could get some feminine hygine products? Will a school bus driver be allowed to show up to school late due to not being prepared with pads? Could a female officer blow off a robbery to pick up some tampons? Should a teacher be allowed to leave in the middle of class to get pads? If my teenage daughter left school to buy these type of products, I would have a HUGE issue with that. She would loose cell phone for X amount of time for not being prepared. Sorry, but that should not be an excuse. Had she driven 5 miles to find a sanitary place to "apply" the product, then I would agree.....but to purchase.....sorry UPS should not be paying for the fuel and time for a women to buy a product for an issue that was predictable.

So you are saying she should have "expected the unexpected"?? Whether she is regular at 28 days or was early or maybe should have had an emergency pad on her, the fact is she had a personal hygene matter that needed to be taken care of. The point is: was this a one time occurence or an everyday/week thing. The use of telematics and gps by management gives them so much information that they conjure up scenarios of deceit and you are guilty until proven innocent. It is not condusive to a healthy workplace.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Sorry, but I think she was wrong. She had to know that every 28 days she had a monthly visitor. Many many other jobs would require a female to be prepared for this predictable event. Will an airline land so that a stewardess could get some feminine hygine products? Will a school bus driver be allowed to show up to school late due to not being prepared with pads? Could a female officer blow off a robbery to pick up some tampons? Should a teacher be allowed to leave in the middle of class to get pads? If my teenage daughter left school to buy these type of products, I would have a HUGE issue with that. She would loose cell phone for X amount of time for not being prepared. Sorry, but that should not be an excuse. Had she driven 5 miles to find a sanitary place to "apply" the product, then I would agree.....but to purchase.....sorry UPS should not be paying for the fuel and time for a women to buy a product for an issue that was predictable.

You obviously don't understand that schiat happens. I wasn't going to bring this up but since you are being such a hard ass about it I will.

My old steward who had worked for the company for 20+ years and had been a steward for 10+ started having problems with bleeding. She thought it was her period. To make a very long story short she ended up having colon cancer.

Don't be such a jack ass. Schiat happens.

Ooooooh BTW, she survived her cancer.

iamhuge

Banned
ups does not have to pay u to find a shady spot to eat. Weather it be 30 seconds away or 15 minutes away. All situations are not the same, but in this case ups is correct. Lunch starts when u break trace and u should be back on trace when lunch is over. If u have an office job, and lunch is from 1200-100, your lunch starts at 1200, not when u reach the cafeteria.

Wow, how some can not see the obvious.

Yes, UPS does not have to compensate a driver to find a "shaded" spot. However, they are required to pay drivers to find a safe, secure place to park and secure vehicle. I am, and will get paid for the time it takes to get off road, find a spot that is not putting myself or vehicle at risk. Secure vehicle. Last step, clock out, place DIAD on shelf and close bulk head. Upon return, 1st step open bulk head, clock in and then inspect vehicle before rolling forward. It isn't rocket science.

Wheels on the truck go round and round, pay check goes up and up.[/QUOTE] What the hell u talking about obvious. The guy coulda parked as soon as he got into the parking lot and been safe. Look, he not gonna get into trouble driving 30 seconds to shade, but the correct way to do it is the way i stated. You guys can spin it anyway u want to make it work better for u. Ill do it the correct way.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
What the hell u talking about obvious. The guy coulda parked as soon as he got into the parking lot and been safe. Look, he not gonna get into trouble driving 30 seconds to shade, but the correct way to do it is the way i stated. You guys can spin it anyway u want to make it work better for u. Ill do it the correct way.
You do it what ever way you want but when it's 110 here, I'm looking for shade if it is at all possible. And I'm gonna get paid for it.

iamhuge

Banned
[-]ups[/-] UPS does not have to pay u to find a shady spot to eat. [-]Weather[/-]Whether it be 30 seconds away or 15 minutes away. All situations are not the same, but in this case [-]ups[/-]UPS is correct. Lunch starts when[-] u[/-] you break trace and u should be back on trace when lunch is over. If u have an office job, and lunch is from 1200-100, your lunch starts at 1200, not when u reach the cafeteria.

I am on the clock whenever I am in that seat and responsible for that truck. PERIOD. If I am driving I am being paid. If I have to drive to a spot so I can go to the bathroom or have lunch then I am PAID for that time. The only responsibility that I have is to not make that drive time any more excessive than absolutely necessary. The company's responsibility to me is to PAY me whenever I am DRIVING.
[/QUOTE] Bathroom is another issue. The first poster said driving to shade. It is not ups responsibilty to pay u to drive to lunch lol. U can bring a dam lunch. If u choose to drive off trace to mcdonalds, u are STEALING if u leave yourself on the clock. Sorry u people dont wanna hear this. But ive sat in many office meetings and panel hearings. I am right. In my area, ups may think im a dick for things i say or grivances ive filed, but they also know im honest and do things correctly. That comes in handy as a steward.

tourists24

What the hell u talking about obvious. The guy coulda parked as soon as he got into the parking lot and been safe. Look, he not gonna get into trouble driving 30 seconds to shade, but the correct way to do it is the way i stated. You guys can spin it anyway u want to make it work better for u. Ill do it the correct way.
You stated that lunch starts as soon as you break "trace". That is not correct. A driver at panel isnt going to lose his case at any panel because he went a half mile off trace to get to lunch (truth is the company wouldnt let it get that far on its own). Now if you are going a long distance off area thats another story. You go ahead and clock out as soon as you leave trace, but its not mandatory.

iamhuge

Banned
You do it what ever way you want but when it's 110 here, I'm looking for shade if it is at all possible. And I'm gonna get paid for it. [/QUOTE] Ok, thats your choice. But i choose to tell the original poster the correct way to do it.

iamhuge

Banned
You stated that lunch starts as soon as you break "trace". That is not correct. A driver at panel isnt going to lose his case at any panel because he went a half mile off trace to get to lunch (truth is the company wouldnt let it get that far on its own). Now if you are going a long distance off area thats another story. You go ahead and clock out as soon as you leave trace, but its not mandatory.[/QUOTE] Once again, i dint say he would get fired. Just saying, break trace, and ur lunch has started. Just cause u wont get fired, is not a reason to continue to do something the wrong way.

tourists24

Once again, i dint say he would get fired. Just saying, break trace, and ur lunch has started. Just cause u wont get fired, is not a reason to continue to do something the wrong way.
thats just it,,,, its not the right way. Your lunch starts when the engine shuts off at your stopping point. Why not start your lunch as soon as you stop complete your last stop before lunch? They've tried to get us to do that also

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
ok... the "telematics" guy for our center gave us this example:

these are 2 stops that are 1,000 yards apart......

2200 Loop Ave. and 2400 Loop Ave. (both on the same side of the road)

I deliver 2200 Loop and on my way to 2400 Loop I decide to pull into an abandoned parking lot and park in the rear under some shade trees and take my hour lunch.

they're saying I took a 105 minute break and saying my break started the second I turned my wheels right into the abandoned parking lot and my break was over when I pulled back onto Loop Ave.

now I know you can't drive 3 miles to your home like you used to and take break (WE ARE PAYING FOR THAT FUEL AND YOU BROKE TRACE!)

..........but that will turn your hour lunch into a 50 minute lunch.

any ideas?
Do not listen to IAMHUGEandhaveaninflatedattitudeanddontknowwhentoshutup.

You are on lunch the minute you are 'off' the truck. Let this go to panel and they will lose. Let them pursue it and let it go to panel. Or you can quote DOT regulations since they are so fond of following it (at least when it suits them).

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
thats just it,,,, its not the right way. Your lunch starts when the engine shuts off at your stopping point. Why not start your lunch as soon as you stop complete your last stop before lunch? They've tried to get us to do that also
​T, let him continue doing what ever the hell he wants to. He apparently doesn't care that he is giving his money to the company and has swallowed WAY to much brown coolaid.

iamhuge

Banned
Ok, thats your choice. But i choose to tell the original poster the correct way to do it.
It is NOT the correct way and you are wrong. MANAGEMENT sheeeesh[/QUOTE] tomorow u tell ur sup, u are breaking trace 5 minutes to go to some restaraunt. And he is paying u for it. U would never do that, cause u no u would get fired. Boy the truth reaaly hurts dont it. Why do u think ups came up with telematics anyway? Because they have a bunch of honest drivers? Nope. Wonder what u fools did before telematics? Ups already thinks we are a bunch of dishonest losers. After reading here, I cant imagine why....

DS

Fenderbender
UPS has always been efficient when it comes to production.The advent of technology has advanced to the point where the ones in the big office decided that they could use it to eliminate all forms of drivers stealing time on road.
More power to them.I don't care.I do the job as honestly and as efficiently as possible.
Talk to me if you have problems with my integrity on any given day.
I couldn't decide if these guys looked pissed off or proud....the song remains the same.

upsbikes.png

photo courtesy of Denverbrown.com

tourists24

tomorow u tell ur sup, u are breaking trace 5 minutes to go to some restaraunt. And he is paying u for it. U would never do that, cause u no u would get fired. Boy the truth reaaly hurts dont it. Why do u think ups came up with telematics anyway? Because they have a bunch of honest drivers? Nope. Wonder what u fools did before telematics? Ups already thinks we are a bunch of dishonest losers. After reading here, I cant imagine why....
5 minutes is a long way. This thread was talking about 30 seconds at one point.... I have no problem telling my sup that I will be going 1/2 mile or even a mile out of my trace to take my lunch. And yes they will be paying for it....

iamhuge

Banned
Thats just ridiculous. If ur stopping point is 10 minutes off trace, u seriously think thats ok.? God help u.

iamhuge

Banned
an office job you are relieved of duty when you leave your desk where are job we are relived of duty when we leave our truck and dol says to be on a meal period you have to be relieved of duty and dot says all drive time must be reported for hours of service the company and driver can be fined for falsifying logbook and our diad is our logbook
Thats my point. u shouldnt be driving around when ur done delivering. Bring a lunch and u wonrt lose any lunch time. Go to a restaurant off trace an u ARE falsifying records if u dont count it as lunch. Or just deliver till u get to a suitable lunch spot. Its not that hard folks.