Termination Due to Unreported Accident

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Admitting the non reporting of the accident on paper....I would think. UPS could use it to hang her out to dry.

So you would prefer she hide behind the contract just to get her job back? What happened to doing the right thing?

On Thursday I witnessed a feeder driver unintentionally damage company property and not report it.

Whatever happened to doing the right thing?

upschuck

If the accident messed up the track on her door, then how could she deny that she knew it happened? She is in a uphill battle, maybe the BA has had this situation before and that letter help them get their job back.

C

chuchu

So you would prefer she hide behind the contract just to get her job back? What happened to doing the right thing?

On Thursday I witnessed a feeder driver unintentionally damage company property and not report it.

Since i cant send you a PM...Be careful posting that you witnessed that. The word "complicit" comes to mind.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

Theoretically, there is nothing wrong with being an adult, stepping up and admitting you made a stupid decision. At ups, being truthful could also be giving management the rope they need to hang you with...

C

chuchu

Theoretically, there is nothing wrong with being an adult, stepping up and admitting you made a stupid decision. At ups, being truthful could also be giving management the rope they need to hang you with...
This time, it would have saved her neck.

I broke a mirror a couple years ago. Two circle of honor drivers came up to me the next week and said they would have called the mechanic to fix it when they got in. They thought it was too much harassment for a mirror. A head on collision and a cracked mirror shouldn't be treated the same. Drivers in my old centers said I wasted a perfectly good avoidable on a mirror. I told them all it was better to assure to keep my job than not.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Kinda rude response, USNY.

Perhaps but her reasons, whatever they may be, are not pertinent to the thread and are quite frankly none of her business.

I started this thread hoping that if at at least one person read it and learned something from it then it was a worthwhile thread.

chuchu, let's say I am not worried about being complicit and leave it at that.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Failure to report an accident....

Is a cardinal sin in every supplement or rider.

Including, Article 58 of the Upstate/West Ny Rider.

ARTICLE 58 - DISCHARGE OR SUSPENSION

A. The Employer shall not discharge nor suspend any employee without just cause, but in respect to discharge or suspension shall be

given at least one (1) warning notice of the complaint against such employee, in writing, and a copy of the same to the Union and job steward affected, except that no warning notice need be given to any employee before he/she is discharged if the cause of such discharge is dishonesty, or being under the influence of alcoholic beverages, or taking of or being under the influence of non-prescribed drugs or illegal substances during working hours or on Company business or property, or possession of or selling of non-prescribed drugs or illegal substances in Company equipment or on Company premises, or on Company time, or unprovoked physical abuse or bodily harm to a Supervisor or other employee, or negligence resulting in a serious accident while on duty, or the carrying of unauthorized passengers, or failure to report an accident, or punching a time card other than employee’s own for the purpose of stealing time.

-Bug-

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

While you have our supplement on your laptop can you post our "Snow Emergency" language on the "Snow Day" thread? There are some members here who think UPS never shuts down due to the snow.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Had one of our major runner/gunners not report an accident last November in my center. Was off for about two weeks and was supposed to go to panel on Wednesday, December 4th. We were extremely short of drivers due to bad weather setbacks and injuries. He was called into work on Tuesday December 3rd and granted his job back without a panel decision.
There is a posting now on UPSers.com highlighting the drivers who delivered more than 400 stops per day in our district and his name was mentioned for 5 different days.
Last three drivers in my center prior to this one were terminated at panel, but they were some of the least best in terms of production.
Double standards anyone?
BA says this will send one hell of a precedent for future nonreports.