Terminations in 804 begin: 20 drivers fired Monday

804brown

Update 4/3: Thursday, a UPS spokesperson informed The Huffington Post that the contract between UPS and the Teamsters includes a no-strike clause. Management at the Maspeth facility, where employees worked, warned the employees as they were leaving that their jobs were at risk, the spokesperson said. The Teamsters did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

It would really help the situation if the IBT would at least make a statement.
Why is Hoffa hiding!! Time to take a stand with the Maspeth 250!! He is too busy trying to intimidate the members who are voting NO on his pathetic contract!!

804brown

Update 4/3: Thursday, a UPS spokesperson informed The Huffington Post that the contract between UPS and the Teamsters includes a no-strike clause. Management at the Maspeth facility, where employees worked, warned the employees as they were leaving that their jobs were at risk, the spokesperson said. The Teamsters did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Why is Hoffa hiding!! Time to take a stand with the Maspeth 250!! He is too busy trying to intimidate the members who are voting NO on his pathetic contract!!

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Like what?
"We agree with UPS?"
There is probably a good reason the IBT is saying nothing.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Friendly reminder:

Discussion can be animated, which is fine, but we do not welcome personal attacks, on- or off-board. Derogatory, insulting, or belittling statements, directed at other members as well as direct or indirect personal attacks are not permitted on our forum.

It is fine to disagree with a different viewpoint, but please limit this to challenging the idea and not make your comments a personal challenge or make derogatory personal comments about individuals or their choices or circumstances, which disparage their ideas, opinions, their occupation or their personal situation. These examples are not exhaustive. Insulting or disparaging another member is a personal attack regardless of the manner in which it is done. These offensive comments are contrary to the spirit of legitimate, reasoned debate and damaging to the purpose of our community.

Oh, I'm not angry at all. Posting is venting and the cussing part was just a joke.
Its better to answer than to allow some stupidity to go unanswered.
But, spineless digs against people already beat down are truly aggravating to others that see that we all make decisions that may turn out with different endings than anticipated.

They are our fellow coworkers, they are dads, husbands, grandfathers and their families are hurting right now.

Who is casting the first stone? Better think twice.
Amen

If the protest occurred on February 26, isn't UPS's termination of these employees untimely? Our supplement allows 10 days for the employer to take action, not 34 days, or "as soon as replacements are trained."

According to the New York Daily News, the first 20 were fired Monday. One of the employees terminated stated he was pulled in the office after his shift and notified then.

browned out

Why did the 20 drivers receive disparate discipline and the other 230 are still on the job? Why did Jaro Reyes receive a discharge while other employees in violation of the exact same offense received no discipline? I would explore all avenues from the nlrb to hiring a labor lawyer. Is it because of Reyes ethnicity? Or because of his union activism? There has to be a reason why he was singled out and other employees doing the same thing on the same day received no discipline?

Why did the 20 drivers receive disparate discipline and the other 230 are still on the job? Why did Jaro Reyes receive a discharge while other employees in violation of the exact same offense received no discipline? I would explore all avenues from the nlrb to hiring a labor lawyer. Is it because of Reyes ethnicity? Or because of his union activism? There has to be a reason why he was singled out and other employees doing the same thing on the same day received no discipline?
So you think ups was being racist?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Jesus lol. * I wish scientists would put you in a rocket and shoot you to Jupiter. The world would benefit greatly. So, in your worldview, any idiot doing something unsupported by the organization of which they are part of should be supported by said group, based solely on the fact that they are in the group? How do you "think" like this and not die from driving into a river or something else equally as foolish?

Why hasn't the Pope stood up to these so-called "victims" of pedophilia and let them know that priests don't commit crimes and that the priests will be supported publicly by the Vatican? Why does the Vatican try and brush this under the rug? Just own it publicly, amirite? Stand by your members!!!11111 haha

What a neanderthal lmao.

"Put me on a rocket and shoot me to Jupiter"?

That's your way to advance the debate? Sorry son, but never call and turn over your cards when you're only holding a pair of twos.

I've debated nominally intelligent management members here that could run circles around you. But I refuse to get drawn into a pissing match with an dullard supervisor. I have grievance forms for that.

Run along Junior.

* Post edited. No name calling please. For more info: http://www.browncafe.com/community/help/terms#tldr

Last edited:

browned out

So you think ups was being racist?

Not necesarily racist but definitely disparate Why was Reyes discharged for an action that other employees doing the same thing on the same day and they were not issued discipline?
Why are 230 drivers receiving preferential treatment while 20 are terminated?

Dracula

I
Where is TDU in all of this?

Sent using the conscience of Local 251

I don't know, and I don't care. TDU doesn't run our union.

We need our leadership to get off their asses and be heard. I don't care if the International has a beef with 804 or not. It's pathetic that local NY politicians are the only ones in a leadership position to make a stand here.

If hall is half the leader you say he is, then NOW is the time to prove it.

Not necesarily racist but definitely disparate Why was Reyes discharged for an action that other employees doing the same thing on the same day and they were not issued discipline?

Why are 230 drivers receiving preferential treatment while 29 are terminated?
I think this was the beginning. There will be more to come. They will discharge more as they get more trained. I bet it gets up into the sixties and stops. These driver won't get fired in the long run. Ups is staffing their operation and scaring and making these people sweat/think. People are going to retire apron ratification and I'm sure they were understaffed already.

Dracula

How so? I have been here for 25 years and say fire 'em all.

Coming from you, I can't say that is a surprise.

I believe these drivers made a mistake, but where I'm from, you never throw your brothers and sisters under the bus as you would choose.

Why was it a mistake? For one, it's against the contract and even if UPS does that every single day, we don't have the advantages to cheat and lie like they do. And if this ever gets to a court or an arbitrator, they might be screwed.

The second reason why this was a mistake, IMO, is you MUST consider our national leadership when stepping out on a limb. The silence we hear now should tell you how much backing you will get from the Hoffa crew.

Look, there are many ways to pull the tail of the tiger. If you have 250 drivers willing to walk out, then you have 250 drivers willing to put enormous pressure on this Masbeth facility with grievances alone. Following the contract to the letter and burying UPS in grievances for every violation would leave management in a serious bind.

But Upstate, mistakes aside, you never leave your brothers and sisters out to dry. To do so says everything about you and should remind all of us here to be careful about who you get in a foxhole with.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Coming from you, I can't say that is a surprise.

I believe these drivers made a mistake, but where I'm from, you never throw your brothers and sisters under the bus as you would choose.

Why was it a mistake? For one, it's against the contract and even if UPS does that every single day, we don't have the advantages to cheat and lie like they do. And if this ever gets to a court or an arbitrator, they might be screwed.

The second reason why this was a mistake, IMO, is you MUST consider our national leadership when stepping out on a limb. The silence we hear now should tell you how much backing you will get from the Hoffa crew.

Look, there are many ways to pull the tail of the tiger. If you have 250 drivers willing to walk out, then you have 250 drivers willing to put enormous pressure on this Masbeth facility with grievances alone. Following the contract to the letter and burying UPS in grievances for every violation would leave management in a serious bind.

But Upstate, mistakes aside, you never leave your brothers and sisters out to dry. To do so says everything about you and should remind all of us here to be careful about who you get in a foxhole with.

You have touched on an aspect of this story that just doesn't make sense to me.
Why is the IBT seemingly silent in regards to this quagmire, or are they in reality?
Despite the differences between Local 804 and the International, wouldn't this be an ideal opportunity for then IBT to come riding in to save the TDU local?
Wouldn't it be the prudent political move for the future?

Don't be surprised when that's how it ends.
If it doesn't end with at least an all out effort by the IBT, what a commentary it will be for 2016.