The corruption of management is ridiculous.

BryantheLion

I leef deengs up n boot dem down
I saw my time for the week and AGAIN, they did not pay me for Wednesday. I spoke to my PT Sup and fixed the problem quickly, although I still have to see if I get paid my 5 hours from last Friday that they didn't pay me. Why does management feel the need to not pay the part timers? I work hard and bust my ass for $8.50/hr, I do as I'm told without any problems, why must they take away time that I WORKED for? I'm not the only one in my PD that this has happened to. I don't want to think discrimination, but I sense a little of that.

I plan to stick around until I can become a package car driver, but knowing that I might not even be paid for a day of work makes me think otherwise. I shouldn't have to worry about not being paid for certain days, it shouldn't be an issue, but for UPS, it's a BIG one.

Besides my rant, I asked my PT Sup if I can sort for a bit to get that $1 raise, but I was declined. I know the sort/the whole belt already. I've BEEN knowing it. Is this something I can fight for? What reason does he have to deny me if I know it already? All in all, it's easy work, but it gets annoying/stressful when I have to worry about time that's not being paid.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
It happens to all of us. Keep after them to pay you. I don't know if it's honest mistakes or fudging #s or maybe both but they should be more respectful to ppl who work as hard as we do. I swear sometimes they act like we're taking something from them when in fact they are the takers.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Dude! You are protected by one of the best unions in the world. You shouldn't be worrying about that. Have you been reporting this to your shop steward(s)? If you really want to put an end to it, file a grievance, you'll also get penalty pay.

BryantheLion

I have no idea how to file a grievance. The FT Sup is actually on vacation and I was hoping to speak with him first to see if he could fix it before heading to the shop steward. Another thing I was screwed over is not getting my bus pass for the month of February. I constantly reminded my FT Sup, but the $36 wasn't deducted which means no bus pass for me. Now going to NJ from NY is gonna kill my pockets.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Def try to work it out first.

Find out who your shop steward is and tell them you want to file. A good steward will guide you through it. A lazy one will hand you a form and hopefully a copy of the contract.

Squint

No more work for me!
Meadowlands facility? That building has so many shifts that if your shift straddles another you will run into many different scenarios of pay discrepancies. Keep track of your punch in/out times and make sure you get every click.

J

jibbs

You're likely denied the opportunity to sort because it's all filled up and you're a new employee.

Things tend to work by seniority inside UPS, and even then, sometimes seniority gets trumped by an individual Teamster's competence (or lack thereof) in performing their job responsibilities.

I know loaders in my center that have a terrible time with misloads and unsequenced loads tend to get moved to the sort aisle (what I've been told other shifts call pick-off) or unload. Some of them last, but most aren't prepared for the shock on your body when you go from loading to the pure physical job of unloading or the almost-purely physical job of sorting.

BryantheLion

Why did you feel the need to use the word "discrimination" in your post?

The FT is African American and I'm Hispanic. Last Friday, it was 2 co workers and myself wrapping everything up, the other co workers being African American as well. One of the co workers even asked the FT if he got our times down, which he said yes to. Out of the 3 of us, I'm the only one who didn't get paid for last Friday, 2 other co workers (both Hispanic) didn't get paid either. The FT gets along with them very well, jokes around, etc, but is very stern when it comes to me. As I said in my first post, I asked my FT Sup if I can get a bus pass way back in December, because it was too late for me to one in January..so I was hoping I can get one for February. He said he'll write down my name on a list or whatever. I reminded him several times about the bus pass and he said he'lll take care of it.

Here we are at the end of the month, one of the previous co worker I was talking about had the $36 deducted from his check for the bus pass, but I've yet to see my deduction. $6.40 round trip to NY and $5 on metro card 5 days in a week on top of the union dues is leaving me with nearly nothing, that's hoping that I'm still being paid for my work. I admit that it might not be discrimination at all and I'm just overthinking it, but it's just an open possibility.

BryantheLion

You're likely denied the opportunity to sort because it's all filled up and you're a new employee.

Things tend to work by seniority inside UPS, and even then, sometimes seniority gets trumped by an individual Teamster's competence (or lack thereof) in performing their job responsibilities.

I know loaders in my center that have a terrible time with misloads and unsequenced loads tend to get moved to the sort aisle (what I've been told other shifts call pick-off) or unload. Some of them last, but most aren't prepared for the shock on your body when you go from loading to the pure physical job of unloading or the almost-purely physical job of sorting.

I believe pick off is what I meant to say, when I first worked here, I was allowed to pick off for a week to get the $1 raise. UPS is the only place I've worked for that rewards hard work with even more work.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I believe pick off is what I meant to say, when I first worked here, I was allowed to pick off for a week to get the $1 raise. UPS is the only place I've worked for that rewards hard work with even more work.
Money deducted from your paycheck for a bus pass?????? Never heard of such a thing

BryantheLion

Money deducted from your paycheck for a bus pass?????? Never heard of such a thing

Not sure if all UPS hubs are similar, but normally a bus pass from NY to NJ would cost a little over $100 I believe, UPS has it at a discounted price for $36 and it's normally deducted from your check on the 3rd week of every month. A lot of workers come from NY to work in NJ.

We have two bus terminals and dedicated bus routes just for our building. They used to sell discounted passes at the building but now riders have to get them directly from the bus lines.