The Six Keys to Labor Negotiations

Mailboxbandit

That doesn’t sound even remotely possible without them being 22.4 in the last contract. August 2019 is the cut off for forcing a Tuesday through Saturday schedule. I understand you don’t like Saturday work, but we were going to do it one way or the other. The company has actually had that flexibility in the contract for many years.
And again I ask you, which teamster presidential candidate were you going to vote for that Didn’t let us work Saturday?
I'm not trying to get into any type of argument, I'm just telling y'all what is going on. These guys were never 22.4, always Mon through Friday.

A lot of these guys went on the road between 20 and 21, as RPCDs Mon through Fri.

Looks like We could have protected any drivers that weren't currently Tue through Sat from being forced to come off of Mon through Fri.

Thebrownblob

I'm not trying to get into any type of argument, I'm just telling y'all what is going on. These guys were never 22.4, always Mon through Friday.

A lot of these guys went on the road between 20 and 21, as RPCDs Mon through Fri.

Looks like We could have protected any drivers that weren't currently Tue through Sat from being forced to come off of Mon through Fri.
I wasn’t even doubting you. I just said it doesn’t seem possible. There’s always exception to the rule. And once again, like I said, someone was going to deliver these packages and the line had to be drawn somewhere. I’m perfectly fine with it. Contractually the company has had the ability and flexibility to schedule you Saturday for a very long time.

And like some have said here you haven’t said to me what Teamster presidential candidate was going to do the things you want. Sometimes things are just what they are.

Thebrownblob

Correct, never 22.4. These guys in our building were Mon through Fri RPCD, from the time they went on the road. Now they are forced to Tue through Sat, after the new contract went into effect.
But they cannot be forced on a sixth day. So they’re still only working five consecutive days. Seems pretty fair to me.

Mailboxbandit

I wasn’t even doubting you. I just said it doesn’t seem possible. There’s always exception to the rule. And once again, like I said, someone was going to deliver these packages and the line had to be drawn somewhere. I’m perfectly fine with it. Contractually the company has had the ability and flexibility to schedule you Saturday for a very long time.

And like some have said here you haven’t said to me what Teamster presidential candidate was going to do the things you want. Sometimes things are just what they are.
I understand stand the question about what the president could have done. My answer is, The president (SB) could have fought for anyone Mon through Friday to stay Mon through Fri. And anyone that was currently 22.4 (COULD) be used for Tue through Sat, while also being classified as a RPCD. And of course new hires would be Tue through Fri until their seniority got high enough. That's what I would have pushed for if I was the President.

Mailboxbandit

But they cannot be forced on a sixth day. So they’re still only working five consecutive days. Seems pretty fair to me.
Correct, they cannot be forced six days. But, it's sucks when you've been Mon through Fri, and now told you gotta give up your Saturdays, most of these people have spouses and kids.

I understand stand the question about what the president could have done. My answer is, The president (SB) could have fought for anyone Mon through Friday to stay Mon through Fri. And anyone that was currently 22.4 (COULD) be used for Tue through Sat, while also being classified as a RPCD. And of course new hires would be Tue through Fri until their seniority got high enough. That's what I would have pushed for if I was the President.
No, no one could have fought to make sure no one worked Saturdays because the operation has to be staffed. Someone has to deliver, lower seniority guys will be forced to fill the positions higher seniority guys didn't bid, just like every other situation. This is the result of eliminating forced sixth punches. Someone has to deliver it. There's no perfect solution to any issue, unfortunately.

Thebrownblob

Correct, they cannot be forced six days. But, it's sucks when you've been Mon through Fri, and now told you gotta give up your Saturdays, most of these people have spouses and kids
All of us do and all of us had to deal with seniority issues of one kind or other. The international did a fine job of making certain people did not have to work six days a week.

Thebrownblob

Well, I appreciate your answer, and I’m going to guess that you would agree with me. There isn’t a president who would’ve said no one’s working Saturday. Moving forward this is a negotiation with two parties and this was probably the best agreement that could be reached regarding who works Saturday. By the percentage of people who voted this contract in I would have to guess the majority felt it was sufficient.

Thebrownblob

No, no one could have fought to make sure no one worked Saturdays because the operation has to be staffed. Someone has to deliver, lower seniority guys will be forced to fill the positions higher seniority guys didn't bid, just like every other situation. This is the result of eliminating forced sixth punches. Someone has to deliver it. There's no perfect solution to any issue, unfortunately.
Very true, and Feeder drivers have worked on weekends forever.