UPS Plans to Cut Non-Driver Jobs to Mitigate Union Labor Costs

ThePackageDeli

I like this idea a little bit:

Eliminate all pre-loaders. Make drivers load their own trucks (better for them anyway). 7-hour dispatches to compensate for the time spent loading their own truck. Hire more drivers to compensate for the lighter dispatches.

ThePackageDeli

Nobody wants a pension over a 401k….dude you must be a millennial…it is the exact opposite. Or how about a driver with a 401k and pension. My pension will pay me about 10-11k a month in local 639….Do you have any idea how much money a guy would need in a 401k to withdraw that kind of money?
Both pension and 401k together is obviously better than either by themselves. But, if you had to pick between one or the other the 401k if utilized to it's maximum potential is way better than the pension. Use an online calculator to verify this.

TheDick

I like this idea a little bit:

Eliminate all pre-loaders. Make drivers load their own trucks (better for them anyway). 7-hour dispatches to compensate for the time spent loading their own truck. Hire more drivers to compensate for the lighter dispatches.
Before preload was created to give ups more control over dispatching, thats how it was. Drivers came in a did it themselves. All we really need is the keys to the bldg. We'll do the rest.

RangerMan06

Both pension and 401k together is obviously better than either by themselves. But, if you had to pick between one or the other the 401k if utilized to it's maximum potential is way better than the pension. Use an online calculator to verify this.
I would need nearly 3.5 million in my 401k to equal what my pension will pay. To each their own but most upsers will be drawing significantly more from a pension than 401k

RangerMan06

A 401k with 3.5 million in it will average $29,000 per month in growth. The 401k wins. And after 30 years, you'll still have 3.5 million in the 401k to pass on to the next generation.
If A driver places 30% of his salary for 30 years with a 5% growth average he'd only have 1.8 million.