To BeReavement leave or NOT to BeReavement leave

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by scooby0048, Sep 27, 2014.

1. scooby0048

scooby0048 This page left intentionally blank

Never had this situation before so I'm looking for the infinite wisdom of the board. I had a family death out of state on Tuesday. Friday all the services occurred. I worked Wednesday and had bereavement leave for Thurs-Sun. Could not get a flight Thursday morning from any airports near me so I drove 6hrs later in the afternoon to get to an airport that had a flight out.

Spent all day driving to catch a midnight flight but as my luck goes, I did not make it to the airport fast enough to get the flight. Before turning around, I rested for about 3.5 hrs then made the 6hr drive back home. Because of the time driving, I got back home Friday morning around 11am so of course did not go to work.

Do I need to cancel bereavement leave or just not worry about it? Never had this issue before.

2. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 ahhh....the mouth breathers

If they ask you for proof...which I doubt....show them a copy of the obituary. It's not like you're required to show them your airline ticket stubs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. scooby0048

I did kinda attend the service, sister oovoo'd it with me since I could not get there.

4. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Oovoo'd?

You made a genuine effort to attend and will be paid for the time missed.

Sorry for your loss.

5. scooby0048

Thank you, I appreciate that.

ooVoo is a video chat like Skype.

6. UpstateNYUPSer

You Skyped a funeral?

7. scooby0048

Well, I ooVoo'd it but in other words, yeah I video conferenced a funeral. My mother and sister knew how upset I was about not getting there fast enough and they knew my Yiaya would have approved. This was also discussed with other members of the family and the priest for their approval.

While you might find this tacky, I could not be there and it was my sisters and mother who suggested it. I was hesitant to say the least but I am so thankful it happened because I got to hear and see the service and slept easier knowing that they did a fantastic job honoring her memory with the sermon.

8. toonertoo

toonertoo Most Awesome Dog Staff Member

We taped my Dads funeral. I have never watched it but, I have it. You get the time off whether or not you attend.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. UpstateNYUPSer

Your last sentence is a bit misleading. You have to at least make an effort to attend the services in order to be paid for the time off. You can't just stay home and expect to receive bereavement pay.

10. scooby0048

It's not taped and is gone as Yiaya is. Don't think I would want to see it again...at the moment it was just a brother and sister remembering their grandma.

11. idrivethetruck

idrivethetruck Slow & steady wins the race.

So who does UPS have monitoring whether you attend or not?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Nowhere in the contract does it say that you actually have to attend the funeral. It only mentions time off to allow you to attend.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

You tried but couldn't get there. The online streaming is good. Like you said, you got to see the service and were certainly there in spirit.

Sorry for your loss.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. scooby0048

Thank you and I think it was just as important to my mother that I could see the service.

15. toonertoo

toonertoo Most Awesome Dog Staff Member

No one reads the guest book. The benefit gives you time off for the death of a covered family member. There are people who cant do funerals, for whatever reason. They are still given time of for the covered relative.

16. UpstateNYUPSer

99% of the time they take you at your word. Every once in a while they will request documentation, such as an obituary from the paper or a handout from the service itself.

17. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

The obituary is just to confirm the relative died. You can get that from the newspaper. Still doesn't require you to attend the funeral.

18. UpstateNYUPSer

What's the sense of taking time off from work if you're not going to pay your respects?

19. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Its your right to take time off. Your preference may be to grieve at home. Or take care of estate details. Doesn't matter what you do if a qualifying relative dies.

20. rod

rod retired and happy

its like talking to a brick wall

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List