To BeReavement leave or NOT to BeReavement leave

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Never had this situation before so I'm looking for the infinite wisdom of the board. I had a family death out of state on Tuesday. Friday all the services occurred. I worked Wednesday and had bereavement leave for Thurs-Sun. Could not get a flight Thursday morning from any airports near me so I drove 6hrs later in the afternoon to get to an airport that had a flight out.

Spent all day driving to catch a midnight flight but as my luck goes, I did not make it to the airport fast enough to get the flight. Before turning around, I rested for about 3.5 hrs then made the 6hr drive back home. Because of the time driving, I got back home Friday morning around 11am so of course did not go to work.

Do I need to cancel bereavement leave or just not worry about it? Never had this issue before.

scooby0048

You Skyped a funeral?

Well, I ooVoo'd it but in other words, yeah I video conferenced a funeral. My mother and sister knew how upset I was about not getting there fast enough and they knew my Yiaya would have approved. This was also discussed with other members of the family and the priest for their approval.

While you might find this tacky, I could not be there and it was my sisters and mother who suggested it. I was hesitant to say the least but I am so thankful it happened because I got to hear and see the service and slept easier knowing that they did a fantastic job honoring her memory with the sermon.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We taped my Dads funeral. I have never watched it but, I have it. You get the time off whether or not you attend.

Your last sentence is a bit misleading. You have to at least make an effort to attend the services in order to be paid for the time off. You can't just stay home and expect to receive bereavement pay.

scooby0048

We taped my Dads funeral. I have never watched it but, I have it. You get the time off whether or not you attend.

It's not taped and is gone as Yiaya is. Don't think I would want to see it again...at the moment it was just a brother and sister remembering their grandma.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Well, I ooVoo'd it but in other words, yeah I video conferenced a funeral. My mother and sister knew how upset I was about not getting there fast enough and they knew my Yiaya would have approved. This was also discussed with other members of the family and the priest for their approval.

While you might find this tacky, I could not be there and it was my sisters and mother who suggested it. I was hesitant to say the least but I am so thankful it happened because I got to hear and see the service and slept easier knowing that they did a fantastic job honoring her memory with the sermon.

You tried but couldn't get there. The online streaming is good. Like you said, you got to see the service and were certainly there in spirit.

Sorry for your loss.

scooby0048

You tried but couldn't get there. The online streaming is good. Like you said, you got to see the service and were certainly there in spirit.
Sorry for your loss.
Thank you and I think it was just as important to my mother that I could see the service.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Your last sentence is a bit misleading. You have to at least make an effort to attend the services in order to be paid for the time off. You can't just stay home and expect to receive bereavement pay.
No one reads the guest book. The benefit gives you time off for the death of a covered family member. There are people who cant do funerals, for whatever reason. They are still given time of for the covered relative.

oldngray

nowhere special
The obituary is just to confirm the relative died. You can get that from the newspaper. Still doesn't require you to attend the funeral.

oldngray

nowhere special
Its your right to take time off. Your preference may be to grieve at home. Or take care of estate details. Doesn't matter what you do if a qualifying relative dies.