To the ISPs

sadmanhere

how can you enjoy yourself when youre on standby for any mistake your drivers do or a truck break down. i stay at home and worry

FedGT

I enjoy it.

Me too.

Biggest problem I see with teaming up is that most singles (quite a few multi owners) don't have the business sense. So now who ever is in charge has the liability on them to make sure things are splitting fairly, taxes are taken out properly, book work is being completed, and all vans are running like a larger company should have. I picture the books and taxes being the biggest problem, if I was in charge of a company of multi contractors I would be making it clear that everyone is paying out estimates taxes weekly after you sit down with the accountant and figure out everyone's liability. Do not drain the account every week and split it to everyone and assume every individual will save for the tax implications through out the year,

FedGT

how can you enjoy yourself when youre on standby for any mistake your drivers do or a truck break down. i stay at home and worry

I won't lie it was really strange and a little nerve-racking at first but got over it pretty quick. You just have to realize what owning a trucking company is. If I didn't have myself and manger out of a truck we would have failed many times and wouldn't be able to keep up with the growth. I ran a skeleton crew for the first year I did this and it was the most stressful year of my life never having the man power to deal with breakdowns or time off/injuries

bbsam

Staff member
Me too.

Biggest problem I see with teaming up is that most singles (quite a few multi owners) don't have the business sense. So now who ever is in charge has the liability on them to make sure things are splitting fairly, taxes are taken out properly, book work is being completed, and all vans are running like a larger company should have. I picture the books and taxes being the biggest problem, if I was in charge of a company of multi contractors I would be making it clear that everyone is paying out estimates taxes weekly after you sit down with the accountant and figure out everyone's liability. Do not drain the account every week and split it to everyone and assume every individual will save for the tax implications through out the year,
Personally I think it would be a nightmare and would have nothing to do with such a union.

bbsam

Staff member
Yeah. Takes.some getting used to but I usually have my vacation coverage man on standby. And a lot of it is mindset. An illness or setback in the morning is easy to handle. One at 3pm much tougher. The aim is always to succeed but one day I may fail. I'm not going to beat myself up over it.

Mainly I do volunteer work through the week. Keeps the mind occupied.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yeah. Takes.some getting used to but I usually have my vacation coverage man on standby. And a lot of it is mindset. An illness or setback in the morning is easy to handle. One at 3pm much tougher. The aim is always to succeed but one day I may fail. I'm not going to beat myself up over it.

Mainly I do volunteer work through the week. Keeps the mind occupied.

That plus checking out the soccer Mom's makes for a full day.

CJinx

the best thing now is to team up with other contractors and form a isp. and everyone does there own route..
I've never seen a "three-headed monster" ISP succeed beyond a year. They always end up folding due to infighting and no one will buy the PSAs, knowing they will be up for grabs for free when that ISP contract gets terminated.

sadmanhere

I've never seen a "three-headed monster" ISP succeed beyond a year. They always end up folding due to infighting and no one will buy the PSAs, knowing they will be up for grabs for free when that ISP contract gets terminated.

i have with the chicago bulls

FedGT

I'm sure it can work, but everyone better be able to pony up the few thousands of dollars to make a clean cut legal agreement and know what type of people they are before proceeding forward

CJinx

I'm sure it can work, but everyone better be able to pony up the few thousands of dollars to make a clean cut legal agreement and know what type of people they are before proceeding forward
Possibly; all the monstrosities I've seen were a handful of guys who weren't at scale two weeks before ISP goes live, and they hastily combine to stay afloat. It is a huge pain in the ass to deal with multiple people claiming to be the business owner.

STFXG

The better option would be to sit at home and enjoy yourself while others do the actual work.
If one had the money to buy out the others... If not, a single route with the owner running it himself makes the same profit as 3 routes with drivers. Have to get to 4 routes before you make more than a single route that's driven by the owner.

Crozz

5 routes 3 owners = failure! Unless you guys have a 3 week rotation as a driver. One has to drive, one has to be a floater, and the other has to answer and manage the routes. Rotating every week with five routes you can't afford more than two guys of. Pay yourself a fair weekly paycheck and at the end of the year split the profits, but with out a solid plan and lawyers involved to wright it up the Ao in the end get to call all the shots unless it's been set up with a lawyer and everyone agrees. You can have one Ao and Two BC now so you can all run the operation.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
It is a huge pain in the ass to deal with multiple people claiming to be the business owner.
None of them are the "owner." They're just Fred's mechanics and overseers.” But then again, if you don't like it, quit. McDonald's is hiring.

It will be fine

Our building has 4 or 5 groups that are comprised of former contractors that all own a stake in their corporations. They're all going on 5 years now.