To UPS Customers Reading This Site -

P

pickup

LIVING THE DREAM stated "2. "This Side Up" stickers. Dear God, if you only knew. The only time this sticker does anything is when the package is finally placed on your porch. Trust me, it has pointed in every other direction along the way. Don't send anything that has to stay in one position - it won't."

Very true, in feeders, hazmat materials have to be in the back of the trailer, with the accompanying paperwork on the side (yeah, right!). I always find hazmat liquid packages upside down with the arrow pointing down . It would probably take a bump or two on the highway to pop the lid when the contents and gravity are pushing it away from the container. I don't wait for that to happen I always upright them and try to brace them with other packages so that I don't have a hazmat leak. Remember feeder drivers, you're the one that is going to have to deal with a hazmat leak on the road, not the loaders. I would rather deal with turning them over now than explaining to a state trooper what the story is with the liquid coming out of the trailer

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
12. UPS Provides very popular services for a very good price. You need it there fast, you use "AIR", you need it there eventually, you use "GROUND". Air=Fast, Ground=Eventually. You, the customer, must make a judgment call. No, we cannot make it for you.

All too often, we will be in possession of your shipment with writing all over the box, labels (as stated, we read no labels) saying "RUSH, perishable, Please don't Dilly-Dally, deliver IMMEDIATELY!!!!"

And you have sent it UPS Ground.

Please, dear customer - The box could have a hand written label from GOD HIMSELF, stating "URGENT DELIVERY!!! HUMAN LIVER ENCLOSED for little Timmy's transplant!!!! MUST BE DELIVERED IMMEDIATELY!!!!" But if you sent it UPS Ground, that is how it is delivered.

So, by the time I deliver a defrosted human liver (probably during little Timmy's wake) to some very unhappy recipients, we are more than willing to point out that the sender sent it UPS Ground. We say it nicely, however, something such as "Huh, Aunt Beatrice who sent this must not have liked Timmy very much".

You're welcome.

DS

Fenderbender
Am I the only one that fails to see the humor in this thread?
Our customers are the bread and butter of ups.Personally,when I encounter a pkg that has fragile stickers on it,I treat it as such.You make it sound like we go out of our way to do a number on it like Jim Carey did in pet detective.I agree that a lot of people need to be trained how to package something to arrive in good shape,but most of the damages are caused by residential shippers that have no idea how many millions of pkgs go through our system every day.As drivers,you will not be disciplined for refusing to pick up a pkg that you feel will not survive the system.Most people appreciate the extra day it takes to repack thier ming vase and have it delivered intact.
Sorry but some things really bug me.

DorkHead

Am I the only one that fails to see the humor in this thread?
Our customers are the bread and butter of ups.Personally,when I encounter a pkg that has fragile stickers on it,I treat it as such.You make it sound like we go out of our way to do a number on it like Jim Carey did in pet detective.I agree that a lot of people need to be trained how to package something to arrive in good shape,but most of the damages are caused by residential shippers that have no idea how many millions of pkgs go through our system every day.As drivers,you will not be disciplined for refusing to pick up a pkg that you feel will not survive the system.Most people appreciate the extra day it takes to repack thier ming vase and have it delivered intact.

"Lighten up Francis"

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
am i the only one that fails to see the humor in this thread?
Our customers are the bread and butter of ups.personally,when i encounter a pkg that has fragile stickers on it,i treat it as such.you make it sound like we go out of our way to do a number on it like jim carey did in pet detective.i agree that a lot of people need to be trained how to package something to arrive in good shape,but most of the damages are caused by residential shippers that have no idea how many millions of pkgs go through our system every day.as drivers,you will not be disciplined for refusing to pick up a pkg that you feel will not survive the system.most people appreciate the extra day it takes to repack thier ming vase and have it delivered intact.

+ 1

hmmmm.......you have kids and senior citizens making 8.50 an hour working at a crappy job and you expect them to respect somebody else's junk?

yes!!

upsgrunt

Hmmmm.......You have kids and senior citizens making 8.50 an hour working at a crappy job and you expect them to respect somebody else's junk?

You're putting a price tag on respect and integrity? I agree the wage is low, but that is just childish to intentionally disrespect customers "stuff" just because you think that is retaliation that is due.

What should your kids do if you give them a dollar to mow the yard? tear up the mower?
If you don't like it, "work for change".

Maybe you should lighten up and just do your job.

brownIEman

Remember those shock sensors that turned red? I remember as a preloader , you guessed it, setting them off so they turned red.

Been with the company 17 years, I still remember I had just strarted, and one of the guys I was loading next to would whack those sensors every time he saw one. I remember thinking, "if the supervisor catches you doing that, you are screwed". Not 5 minutes after thinking that, the sup comes up to the belt, looks at a package with one of the stickers on it, pulls out a black pen, and says "White blus black make RED" and smacks the shock sticker with the pen turning from it from white to red...