Top 10 Biggest Hubs In US?

RoyalFlush

One of Them
Any predictions on which hubs will be the largest after the rumored consolidations? I doubt we'll see any ground hubs closing, but volume could shift and there is a possibility of an air hub or two closing /consolidating.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Any predictions on which hubs will be the largest after the rumored consolidations? I doubt we'll see any ground hubs closing, but volume could shift and there is a possibility of an air hub or two closing /consolidating.
Ups already moved as much of its air/cargo operation away from O'Hare to Rockford because its cheaper to take off and land at Rockford.

It would be almost impossible to move more work away from O'Hare because of the areas that receive their air volume from it. Just too far of a drive to go to Rockford from Indiana, Waukegan, Harvey, Joliet and some of the other out lying centers.

If UPS were to leave Rockford it would devastate the community around it. Rockford does do alot of 2nd day airs, which I guess could be trucked to areas within 2days of here, but we still need to service the areas that would take longer than 2 days to drive.

I'm surprised that GVICA Grande Vista hub in Los Angeles is not listed. It's pretty darn busy there.
Size and volume-wise should be CACH with 1.6-2 million packages per day. There are 1000 outbound doors, 550 drivers, and 11,000 employees. It straddles 2 counties Willow Springs and Hodgkins, IL. At 2,130,000 square ft., it is a 3.5 mile walk around the facility!

L

Loufan

I worked at the Louisville air hub for the first 6 months of my employment at UPS, then our sort got moved to it's own building about 5 miles off airport property. But I remember one time I was asked to help another belt in another building at the airport hub (whatever it's called) As soon as I entered the building it was a huge hallway. It seemed like a mile long. Every 30 feet there was an door way into the building with all the belts. It was so huge and it was only one of the buildings and there are at least 5 stops on the tram.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Some of these HUBS do 300,000 on one sort....... Top ten HUBS have to do atleat 700k a day to be considered.

Yes, I realize that CHEMA is not in the top 10. However, CHEMA did almost 800k (around 780k) on peak day this year, and 320k on the twilight sort. breaking it's 22 year high water mark.

Anyhow, it's pretty incredible the amoutn of packages that are processed. It must also be incredible how many area damaged/destroyed along the way.

Buffaloaf

Ups already moved as much of its air/cargo operation away from O'Hare to Rockford because its cheaper to take off and land at Rockford.

It would be almost impossible to move more work away from O'Hare because of the areas that receive their air volume from it. Just too far of a drive to go to Rockford from Indiana, Waukegan, Harvey, Joliet and some of the other out lying centers.

If UPS were to leave Rockford it would devastate the community around it. Rockford does do alot of 2nd day airs, which I guess could be trucked to areas within 2days of here, but we still need to service the areas that would take longer than 2 days to drive.

Rockford actually used to receive volume from all those places (except for Indy) up until last August or September. We still take volume from Waukegan (or at least, we get volume from Northbrook and then outbound a WAUIL preload). We no longer build a Harvey or Joliet load, but did for a long time. We brought all these loads back for peak because we started to get inbound volume from them. So really, it's not too far a drive from those places to RFD (w/ exception of Indy), but rather it's a matter of the cost of taking that little amount of volume in and building those small loads while the volume is so low. RFD actually asked to get rid of those inbound trailers in order to help us meet our PPH goal more easily. Just thought I'd throw in a little back history to your statements :smart:. You are dead on about the RFD community needing the air hub there though: lots of people depend on that place for a FT job or insurance...and Rockford doesn't exactly have a booming economy or employment rate either.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Rockford actually used to receive volume from all those places (except for Indy) up until last August or September. We still take volume from Waukegan (or at least, we get volume from Northbrook and then outbound a WAUIL preload). We no longer build a Harvey or Joliet load, but did for a long time. We brought all these loads back for peak because we started to get inbound volume from them. So really, it's not too far a drive from those places to RFD (w/ exception of Indy), but rather it's a matter of the cost of taking that little amount of volume in and building those small loads while the volume is so low. RFD actually asked to get rid of those inbound trailers in order to help us meet our PPH goal more easily. Just thought I'd throw in a little back history to your statements :smart:. You are dead on about the RFD community needing the air hub there though: lots of people depend on that place for a FT job or insurance...and Rockford doesn't exactly have a booming economy or employment rate either.
The work you are speaking of is 2nd day air volume. It would be impossible to move the NDA volume, which would mean earlier pull tims which would directly effect customers pick up times.

Buffaloaf

The work you are speaking of is 2nd day air volume. It would be impossible to move the NDA volume, which would mean earlier pull tims which would directly effect customers pick up times.
You mean the inbound trailers that we used to get from Joliet, Harvey, Westmont, Bedford, etc, are all 2nd day air? Or that the volume that we outbound to those destinations is only 2nd day air?

MechanicForBrown

Prblm found,part on order
Here is CHEMA, again!!

ups-chema-hub-jpg.1530

:happy-very: