Top rate paycheck

nystripe96

So a 20 year driver showed me his check and surprisingly it was only $810 after deductions. He said he only contributes 5% to his 401k so I can't really grasp this. Granted I'm in NYC and the taxes are horrendous but here I'm just a year from being at top rate. Now I'm not nearly as excited as I was. Is that really the ballpark of what most top rate drivers make?

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
So a 20 year driver showed me his check and surprisingly it was only $810 after deductions. He said he only contributes 5% to his 401k so I can't really grasp this. Granted I'm in NYC and the taxes are horrendous but here I'm just a year from being at top rate. Now I'm not nearly as excited as I was. Is that really the ballpark of what most top rate drivers make?
Maybe Union dues came out and very little overtime.

govols019

You smell that?
That's what my take home is if I take a day off during the week and I contribute 12% to my 401K and am taxed at the single rate. I also have $10 a week for DRIVE and $20 for my AFLAC insurance coming out.

Living in state with no income tax has its perks.

Brown Down

I average high 900 to 1000 take home on a decent work week with 6% taken out for 401k and haven't screwed with my tax rate. I would say he either had almost no overtime or took a layoff day.

BUCN85

I almost make that as a 2nd year driver so that's odd. I think a lot take home close too. 1100-1200

Rack em

Made the Podium
I've seen top rate drivers take home over $1,500 a week. Most I think average around $1,200 at my center.

Funny story... I am just starting out as a FT driver so I only make $18.75. It was 3 weeks ago I had worked 53 hours and after deductions and everything I only took home $621. Well another driver had taken 2 days off that week and worked maybe 30 hours and was looking at her check all pissed off because she only took home $650ish. I simply showed her my paycheck which was less than hers and my hours and just gave her that "shut the friend* up" look

if i work a normal week and gross 1750.... my take home pay is around 1185 with 5% into 401k, if i raise my 401k to 20% my take home pay is around 1000... Well worth the increase; I realize some drivers couldn't afford the 185 decrease in take home though.

Lets do the math of 5% vs 20% over 20 years.
20% would probably max out a 401k which would give you about 800k after 20 years. at 5% you would have about 200k, if you can just manage living on less than 185 a week.. (all a rough estimate )

Last edited: