Trump and republican house and senate affect on Unions

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Screwing unions will all but guarantee a democratic takeover in 2018.

I really don't believe you are giving him a chance. I know I will need to wait to see what happens. If he is willing to bring the coal and oil industries back. The unions which supported him will be rewarded. The teamsters didn't. So don't expect it.

badpal

How many union jobs and how long will they last?
We Teamsters at UPS are kinda spoiled in that way, with a little luck we can spend our whole career there. But lots of union folks spend there whole career going from one big project to another.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Allowing the dismantling of public sector unions is the stepping stone to weaker Teamster representation. Stagnant minimum wage, poor health care and other benefits taken away from workers also play a part.

When labor wins in one area, (say FMLA for example) it allows for a stronger bargaining position at contract time for everyone, since they start from higher ground. A loss in one area causes a loss all around in the same way. When you see a neighboring state go RTW, your union reps are automatically having to do more with less resources.

When the Scott Walker types sell the non union philosophy to voters who are making $7.25 an hour, it's a stepping stone to attack your benefits. It's coming too, unless workers turn the boat around. If you're waiting for "the union" to fix things for you, without your support, you're not realizing that you are the union.

Dues monies are never spent on supporting political candidates, as it's illegal. That's what pacs do.

bbsam

Staff member
We Teamsters at UPS are kinda spoiled in that way, with a little luck we can spend our whole career there. But lots of union folks spend there whole career going from one big project to another.
We have thousands of union folk indefinitely laid off at John Deere and never called back.

over10.5

I'm confused on why some fellow teamsters wonder why the union doesn't back a republican??? Do you guys listen to what they say? Take a look at the republican platform. Not so labor friendly.

onehandsolo

I think 33& of union workers vote republican. I doubt you will see legislation that would cause that number to go down. The republicans need those votes.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
As a self-proclaimed libertarian, I would rather keep both the republicans' and democrats' collective noses out of my business and who I choose to affiliate with.

Currently, I'm neither for or opposed to right-to-work legislation. The reason why I don't oppose it is because it would mean that unions would actually have to earn my support instead of being legally allowed to extort it from me.

Right now, I am still willing to support the union. However, if they continue to spend my dues to endorse another clinton type, I will not hesitate to change my opinion.

What you miss about RTW laws is that they REQUIRE unions to represent workers who aren't members of the union. This is patently unfair to all of us, and is the way they crack the wall of unions. It's one thing for unions to earn our support, as you say; it's something quite different to have lawmakers sticking their ugly noses in our business. That's why you should care if you value your job as a union member.

iruhnman630

Btw....did the Teamsters officially endorse in this election?

Unlike recent potus elections, I did not recieve a single mailer with democrat marching orders.

HBGPreloader

How many union jobs and how long will they last?
Even if the pipeline was built, there are no guarantees that those jobs would go to union employees.
However, with nearly 40% of America's working class currently not working, any decent job is better than not working at all.

HBGPreloader

Unions are not a factor anymore.
Half the members vote opposite what Union leadership says to vote for.
Unions are relatively insignificant in real numbers. However, even with a mere ~11% of the workforce, their actions could have a significant impact on anything they do - if they are united.

HBGPreloader

Allowing the dismantling of public sector unions is the stepping stone to weaker Teamster representation. Stagnant minimum wage, poor health care and other benefits taken away from workers also play a part.

When labor wins in one area, (say FMLA for example) it allows for a stronger bargaining position at contract time for everyone, since they start from higher ground. A loss in one area causes a loss all around in the same way. When you see a neighboring state go RTW, your union reps are automatically having to do more with less resources.

When the Scott Walker types sell the non union philosophy to voters who are making $7.25 an hour, it's a stepping stone to attack your benefits. It's coming too, unless workers turn the boat around. If you're waiting for "the union" to fix things for you, without your support, you're not realizing that you are the union.

Dues monies are never spent on supporting political candidates, as it's illegal. That's what pacs do.
Yes, when unions lose, we all lose. There's no argument there.
So, why aren't we fighting harder to win more battles?
The reason why I chose to work at UPS and be represented by the Teamster union were several. However, the primary reasons were a decent weekly paycheck and very good benefits - that were negotiated by the union.
So, Why are our alleged leaders abdicating these member obligations/responsibilities to the government?
If the government starts providing healthcare, mandatory paid time off, $15 an hr starting wage and more to everyone, why will we still need unions?
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the discount tickets, the picnics, golf outings and other parties that the local provides. But, I'm not sure they're not worth the additional cost I pay in union dues.
Simply put, I believe that if the keeps pushing for and supporting all this type of government mandate nonsense, they're going to push themselves into obsolence.
As for the political contributions, I find it difficult to believe that DRIVE raised more than $7 million from voluntary member "donations" for the union to use lobbying and campaign contributions...
Teamsters Union: Summary | OpenSecrets
I'm not saying it didn't happen. However, I just find it difficult to believe.