Trump and republican house and senate affect on Unions

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I think it would be beneficial for everyone for you to expand on how it works. This topic seems to come up every single year around UW push time and there's a lot of conflicting information out there.
It's pretty simple and sounds OK but in reality, it almost never has an impact on where the donation actually goes.

Let's say UW grants a charity $50,000.
The specified charity only comes into play if, and only if, the total specified charity amounts of all "givers" combined is greater than $50,000.

It makes people feel better about giving and gives people a sense that they can direct their donations via the UW.
In reality, it has little impact.

I still support UW strongly but this particular aspect is illusory.

10 point

I donate the same amount to UW. 100% of my donation goes to our local hospice. I get to write off the $1,560 on my Federal taxes.

$30/week to a PAC is admirable yet foolish.
How do you know that 100% goes there?
I donated over $1000 to a youth facility and at the end of the year they reported to me that they received $500. That was my last donation thru UW. The CMs tell us in our PCMs that 98% of our donations go directly to the designated recipients. That's untruthful and I learned the hard way.
I think it would be beneficial for everyone for you to expand on how it works. This topic seems to come up every single year around UW push time and there's a lot of conflicting information out there.
Yes sir. I know first hand how it "works".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Look at it this way, every charity has fundraising expenses.

He wants all his money to go to his local half way house. That half way house has operating/fundraising expenses, so does united way. He is doubling those expenses by giving to United Way. It is a waste of money to give to United Way when his goal is to give to his local half way house. He is throwing money away on a middle man.

If he wants to give to his local half way house, he should do so. But pretending that 100% of his United Way donation goes to his local charity of choice is a little delusional.

UPS matches 15% of my donation which pays the administrative costs.

Call me delusional but I have been repeatedly assured that the vast majority of my donation goes to the charity of my choice to be used as intended.

I also donate through payroll deduction as I would be less likely to write one check for the entire amount on an annual basis.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How do you know that 100% goes there?
I donated over $1000 to a youth facility and at the end of the year they reported to me that they received $500. That was my last donation thru UW. The CMs tell us in our PCMs that 98% of our donations go directly to the designated recipients. That's untruthful and I learned the hard way.

Yes sir. I know first hand how it "works".

Are you asking if I ever called the Hospice of the North Country to see if they received my donation? No, I have never felt the need to do this.

10 point

UPS matches 15% of my donation which pays the administrative costs.

Call me delusional but I have been repeatedly assured that the vast majority of my donation goes to the charity of my choice to be used as intended.

I also donate through payroll deduction as I would be less likely to write one check for the entire amount on an annual basis.
Are you asking if I ever called the Hospice of the North Country to see if they received my donation? No, I have never felt the need to do this.
I learned the hard way but I learned.
Drivers were told they could give directly to their churches thru UW. They also got enlightened.
No longer a believer in what I'm told about UW giving and receiving. Sorry.

10 point

Churches are not an option.
Evidently. The point is that the supervisor handling the UW donations told workers they could donate to their church.

This is what I'm trying to get across, not the validation of the statements of management. The problem is that, by our experience, information about donating your money to specific organizations and how much ends up going there is untrue.

That's my point. For the third time.
I just give directly to the organization now and see 100% of my money stay there. That way I know the truth of who gets it and I don't feel blindsided by overzealous statements that are propagated by people who should be above reproach as stewards of other people's money.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
And hillary has a hard time keeping her finger off the delete key, but that's not the point. I was simply asking. He made it very public that the taemsters were supporting him, i was expecting a public comment on that from a high ranking teamster to either agree or deny.

I was simply answering your question. This is the official announcement from Teamsters.org

HBGPreloader

Because we'll lose everything immediately if we stop participating in the political process. Do you not understand we can be legislated out of existence? If others benefit by our actions then thats the way it goes.
Union wage rates have set the bar for all wage earners, union and non-union for as long as unions existed.
I don't care if you believe facts or not, but you need to do better math. My numbers were from 1 local. There are over 400. You used the minimum contribution as your bench, we actually voluntarily contribute closer to $100K per year. At that rate, only 70 locals would hit $7mil.
BTW, I know a PT'er dropping $30 per week. He gets it.
We should be ashamed that 1.3 million members are only contributing $7 million.
We are already losing a lot. Since I started, I witnessed benefit delays and reductions, pension cuts, delays in progression and more just with UPS. And, I suspect we'll lose even more in the next contract.

I've been to the meetings and listened to countless hours of whining about concessions, givebacks and more from the drivers in other companies.

I've attended rallies only to watch the majority of members be more interested in stuffing their faces with coffee and donuts than the issue we were protesting, then get upset because they couldn't find a shirt large enough to fit.

So, just how well did that $7 million do in protecting those member benefits? Judging by the stories I read, not much because nearly as many union members voted for Trump as they did for clinton.

I'm not saying we should stop participating in the political process. Instead, we should be dumping these politicians who pander to us only for our votes and focus on ourselves - trying to get the members more involved with the political process - within the union and within the government.

The system is broken. Desperate Americans want and need change. Yet, the unions are still beating their drums and playing the same tunes from 60 years ago.

If they don't change soon, they will go the way of the buggy whip maker.

ups1990

What did Obama do to help us? What did Bush do to hurt us? The only thing I've noticed is the union has gotten weaker and our health insurance is covering less than it was. Not saying its all Obamacare but it definitely has some effect.
Remember when UPS began a nationwide campaign to have FEDEX reclassified in the railroad act by having its union workers write letters to the US Congress and Senate? Does anyone recall what party controlled both houses?
When Obama was sworn in he had control of both houses. After the unions voted for him and donated large sums of money to his presidential campaign, he failed to throw the teamsters a bone in this regard. Democrats, also during this time could've passed immigration reform but no one knows why they didn't. I guess they like to use this polarizing topic during election cycles.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I can't disagree with the fact that most of what Obama campaigned on with regard to labor and what we as Teamsters wanted to see happen never even came up for a vote.

I do though recall the wall of filibusters that the labor friendly legislation ran headlong into, thanks entirely to Mitch Mcconnell and the Tea Party.

Harry Reid failed to execute the "Nuclear Option" to end the filibusters, which would have made it possible to push whatever the Left wanted to with only 51 votes, instead of the filibuster proof 60 votes that they didn't ever quite reach.

Ted Kennedy was absent for a time prior to his death, and Al Franken was not yet seated, due to his challenger refusing to accept the slim defeat he was dealt in the election.

They hovered around 56/58 votes and were filibustered to death.

I have my doubts as to whether Mcconnell will have the stones to use the Nuclear Option himself. It's great in the short term for the ruling party, but since that can change every 2 years, it can also bite you in the ass when you lose your majority again, which is inevitable. And soooo, we just go in circles until they agree to work together.

bbsam

Staff member
Remember when UPS began a nationwide campaign to have FEDEX reclassified in the railroad act by having its union workers write letters to the US Congress and Senate? Does anyone recall what party controlled both houses?
When Obama was sworn in he had control of both houses. After the unions voted for him and donated large sums of money to his presidential campaign, he failed to throw the teamsters a bone in this regard. Democrats, also during this time could've passed immigration reform but no one knows why they didn't. I guess they like to use this polarizing topic during election cycles.
...and the Republicans are whom you turn to...you guys are screwed.