Trump and republican house and senate affect on Unions

Inthegame

So, Why are our alleged leaders abdicating these member obligations/responsibilities to the government?
If the government starts providing healthcare, mandatory paid time off, $15 an hr starting wage and more to everyone, why will we still need unions?
First off they're not alleged leaders they're elected leaders. (We may have new ones by the end of this week) Secondly, your point is valid and has been discussed by many "leaders", but unions have always fought for all labor not just the organized. Who fights when we're gone? Who knows, certainly not Republicans.
As for the political contributions, I find it difficult to believe that DRIVE raised more than $7 million from voluntary member "donations" for the union to use lobbying and campaign contributions...
Teamsters Union: Summary | OpenSecrets
I'm not saying it didn't happen. However, I just find it difficult to believe.
With 1.3 million members, not raising $7 million through DRIVE would be more difficult to believe. We have over 1000 members in DRIVE in our local contributing at minimum $1 per week. Now if every Teamster contributed at the level our local officers/agents do, we'd raise a $1.3 billion. Now were talking Koch bros money...

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Yes, when unions lose, we all lose. There's no argument there.
So, why aren't we fighting harder to win more battles?

Many of the guys I worked with assumed it was always someone else's job to fight for them without supporting the effort. It's easy to find a scapegoat in the union leadership or government, but if you let someone do all the bargaining without being involved you own half the blame.

The reason why I chose to work at UPS and be represented by the Teamster union were several. However, the primary reasons were a decent weekly paycheck and very good benefits - that were negotiated by the union.
So, Why are our alleged leaders abdicating these member obligations/responsibilities to the government?
If the government starts providing healthcare, mandatory paid time off, $15 an hr starting wage and more to everyone, why will we still need unions?

No, not if you believe UPS and the government will keep the top driver rate and benefits well over $100K, but we know that's not reality. Remember, we'll be getting new leadership at the NLRB in January. The first thing they'll do is push back on workers rights. It's not just the money. It's everything.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the discount tickets, the picnics, golf outings and other parties that the local provides. But, I'm not sure they're not worth the additional cost I pay in union dues.

To get an idea what the job would be like without a union, relying on only government as your workplace representative, ask a FedEx ground driver about their benefits.

Simply put, I believe that if the keeps pushing for and supporting all this type of government mandate nonsense, they're going to push themselves into obsolence.
As for the political contributions, I find it difficult to believe that DRIVE raised more than $7 million from voluntary member "donations" for the union to use lobbying and campaign contributions...
Teamsters Union: Summary | OpenSecrets
I'm not saying it didn't happen. However, I just find it difficult to believe.

HBGPreloader

First off they're not alleged leaders they're elected leaders. (We may have new ones by the end of this week) Secondly, your point is valid and has been discussed by many "leaders", but unions have always fought for all labor not just the organized. Who fights when we're gone? Who knows, certainly not Republicans.
With 1.3 million members, not raising $7 million through DRIVE would be more difficult to believe. We have over 1000 members in DRIVE in our local contributing at minimum $1 per week. Now if every Teamster contributed at the level our local officers/agents do, we'd raise a $1.3 billion. Now were talking Koch bros money...
Just because these characters were elected, it doesn't mean they are capable of doing the job. Remember Hank Johnson?

Quite frankly, that's very scary. But, even more frightening, people voted for him!

If you look at obama as an example, he was chosen to lead by a small minority. Sure, he may have won more than 50% the popular vote and the electoral college. But, nearly 70% of eligible voters either chose to vote for the other guy or chose to not vote at all.

With Trump, the numbers are even more depressing.

If my numbers are correct, a mere 15% of the approximately 1.3 members actually voted. Yet, you want me to believe that members are contributing approximately $7 million per year towards the DRIVE campaign?

Even with ~1000 members contributing $1 per week, that's only ~$52,000 or ~0.7% of the money spent this year. And, I sincerely doubt even a fraction of the ~200k members who voted actually contribute.

My issue is why are we spending millions on politicians and lobbyists to fight the battles for others?

With such a pathetic participation rate, IMHO, we should focus on winning back the hearts and minds of the more than 1 million members in the Teamsters who apparently think our union is not worth the effort to even take 5 minutes to fill out a ballot to choose the next leader.

As the saying goes, charity begins at home. We need to take care of ourselves and make sure we are strong enough to take care of ourselves before we worry about the issues of others.

IMHO, this is the main reason why Trump won this election - because we have to get our house in order and take care of ourselves before we worry about others.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Allowing the dismantling of public sector unions is the stepping stone to weaker Teamster representation. Stagnant minimum wage, poor health care and other benefits taken away from workers also play a part.

When labor wins in one area, (say FMLA for example) it allows for a stronger bargaining position at contract time for everyone, since they start from higher ground. A loss in one area causes a loss all around in the same way. When you see a neighboring state go RTW, your union reps are automatically having to do more with less resources.

When the Scott Walker types sell the non union philosophy to voters who are making $7.25 an hour, it's a stepping stone to attack your benefits. It's coming too, unless workers turn the boat around. If you're waiting for "the union" to fix things for you, without your support, you're not realizing that you are the union.

Dues monies are never spent on supporting political candidates, as it's illegal. That's what pacs do.
I heard walker is being considered for secretary of labor

Inthegame

My issue is why are we spending millions on politicians and lobbyists to fight the battles for others?
Because we'll lose everything immediately if we stop participating in the political process. Do you not understand we can be legislated out of existence? If others benefit by our actions then thats the way it goes.
Union wage rates have set the bar for all wage earners, union and non-union for as long as unions existed.
Yet, you want me to believe that members are contributing approximately $7 million per year towards the DRIVE campaign?

Even with ~1000 members contributing $1 per week, that's only ~$52,000 or ~0.7% of the money spent this year. And, I sincerely doubt even a fraction of the ~200k members who voted actually contribute.
I don't care if you believe facts or not, but you need to do better math. My numbers were from 1 local. There are over 400. You used the minimum contribution as your bench, we actually voluntarily contribute closer to $100K per year. At that rate, only 70 locals would hit $7mil.
BTW, I know a PT'er dropping $30 per week. He gets it.
We should be ashamed that 1.3 million members are only contributing $7 million.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
$30/week to UW is admirable yet foolish.
Have to disagree there buddy.
I have been involved with UW programs for 30 years.
There is a lot of good that gets to people of all races who are in desperate, desperate need of the help.
One could argue that it could be more efficient but it is a Corporation that just happens to be non-profit in charter.
I don't know of a way to help out the needy in a more efficient manner than personally getting involved.

Furthermore, it's privately funded and is much better than any Central Government program ever.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Have to disagree there buddy.
I have been involved with UW programs for 30 years.
There is a lot of good that gets to people of all races who are in desperate, desperate need of the help.
One could argue that it could be more efficient but it is a Corporation that just happens to be non-profit in charter.
I don't know of a way to help out the needy in a more efficient manner than personally getting involved.

Furthermore, it's privately funded and is much better than any Central Government program ever.
Look at it this way, every charity has fundraising expenses.

He wants all his money to go to his local half way house. That half way house has operating/fundraising expenses, so does united way. He is doubling those expenses by giving to United Way. It is a waste of money to give to United Way when his goal is to give to his local half way house. He is throwing money away on a middle man.

If he wants to give to his local half way house, he should do so. But pretending that 100% of his United Way donation goes to his local charity of choice is a little delusional.

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Look at it this way, every charity has fundraising expenses.

He wants all his money to go to his local half way house. That half way house has operating/fundraising expenses, so does united way. He is doubling those expenses by giving to United Way. It is a waste of money to give to United Way when his goal is to give to his local half way house. He is throwing money away on a middle man.

If he wants to give to his local half way house, he should do so. But pretending that 100% of his United Way donation goes to his local charity of choice is a little delusional.
I agree with this wholeheartedly "But pretending that 100% of his United Way donation goes to his local charity of choice is a little delusional."
He should assume that 0% of his money goes to the specified charity.

I have investigated this pretty deeply and the "specified charity" is just a marketing ploy.

I can expand on how it really works if anyone is interested.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I agree with this wholeheartedly "But pretending that 100% of his United Way donation goes to his local charity of choice is a little delusional."
He should assume that 0% of his money goes to the specified charity.

I have investigated this pretty deeply and the "specified charity" is just a marketing ploy.

I can expand on how it really works if anyone is interested.
I think it would be beneficial for everyone for you to expand on how it works. This topic seems to come up every single year around UW push time and there's a lot of conflicting information out there.