Trying to keep my job

JustAnumber1

I don't understand how I'm labeled irresponsible or when I have tried to pawn of responsibility for my situation. I used weed, I got caught, I haven't denied that, I'm not sorry for it and I don't blame anyone else. My original post was as to how I may be able to salvage my job and so many of you want to tell me what a loser I am, that's not much help. I don't make 33 an hour, I'm in the 4 year progression my loving and helpful union agreed to, so I was making 24/25 something and hour. I pay all my bills, my taxes, I have never been arrested, I have a bachelor degree, I am a productive member of society regardless of what so many assume to know about me. To the person that asked how I paid my phone bill while it was cut off, really? Where are you from? How old are you? I'm the ignorant person here and you honestly don't realize that your phone will still call the financial services dept so you can pay your bill? Well here's another tip that may help you one day, it will still dial 911 too, whether the bill is paid or not. As to why I didn't pay my bill, it has nothing to do with my finances, I can certainly afford my phone bill, I just hadn't taken the time to do it. Much the same as me having a thousand dollars in my pocket and yet I still run my jeep to empty before I fill it up, I just hate stopping by the gas station and I don't till it's absolutely necessary, I don't pay my phone bill sometimes until I have to, such was the case that day, guess I have a personality flaw, of course I already knew this. I honestly don't think my center manager had anything to do with this, this was the labor manager that pushed to fire me, my center manager actually tried to help me, I think at least. I've learned over the years that most managers have 2 sides, the one they show you and the one they show their bosses. I've seen more than one center manager lie on more than one occasion but in this instance I do believe my center manager tried to help me, I do believe they didn't want me to be fired but maybe I'm wrong. In the end, I don't think it was their decision, it was the labor manager's.

UPSGUY72

I don't understand how I'm labeled irresponsible or when I have tried to pawn of responsibility for my situation. I used weed, I got caught, I haven't denied that, I'm not sorry for it and I don't blame anyone else. My original post was as to how I may be able to salvage my job and so many of you want to tell me what a loser I am, that's not much help. I don't make 33 an hour, I'm in the 4 year progression my loving and helpful union agreed to, so I was making 24/25 something and hour. I pay all my bills, my taxes, I have never been arrested, I have a bachelor degree, I am a productive member of society regardless of what so many assume to know about me. To the person that asked how I paid my phone bill while it was cut off, really? Where are you from? How old are you? I'm the ignorant person here and you honestly don't realize that your phone will still call the financial services dept so you can pay your bill? Well here's another tip that may help you one day, it will still dial 911 too, whether the bill is paid or not. As to why I didn't pay my bill, it has nothing to do with my finances, I can certainly afford my phone bill, I just hadn't taken the time to do it. Much the same as me having a thousand dollars in my pocket and yet I still run my jeep to empty before I fill it up, I just hate stopping by the gas station and I don't till it's absolutely necessary, I don't pay my phone bill sometimes until I have to, such was the case that day, guess I have a personality flaw, of course I already knew this. I honestly don't think my center manager had anything to do with this, this was the labor manager that pushed to fire me, my center manager actually tried to help me, I think at least. I've learned over the years that most managers have 2 sides, the one they show you and the one they show their bosses. I've seen more than one center manager lie on more than one occasion but in this instance I do believe my center manager tried to help me, I do believe they didn't want me to be fired but maybe I'm wrong. In the end, I don't think it was their decision, it was the labor manager's.

You just don't get it. When are you going to stop blaming everyone else and the system for your mistakes.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Is he the center manager that qualified you?if so his name is attached to you

ski or die

Ski or Die
I believe contract law can't supersede state law. What I mean is if your local refuses to represent you, have them sign a document stating this and get a lawyer. From all of your posts there were times the company didn't follow their own procedures as it applies to the drug policy. That being said you say you were fired for stealing time. Did you take all your breaks this day within the times you were allowed to? What I haven't seen in your posts was if you were fired for drugs. The tests may come back under the limit. I'm not telling you that drug use is ok because you somehow justify it by saying there are more addictive drugs that can be used. I think you know that you need to own up to your choices and now have a choice to make. Are you going to fight for your job or are you going to find work somewhere else. If you're not ready or willing to admit you have a problem with drugs then you will continue to blame others for your misfortunes, and wherever you choose to work these problems with drugs will keep coming back.
Before I became a Steward, the previous ones during disciplinary meetings with mgmt. would just sit on their hands, not one word. Upon becoming a Steward, when attending grievance hearings, our BA would do the same thing. A lot of grievances are decided before you even enter the room. The local only has to show up and sit there quietly while this driver goes down the drain. Then they are covered. They represented him. At one point on a open and shut seniority grievance my BA pulled this again, and of course we lost. I had a meeting with Local President and he could tell I was going to pursue the issue. He called BA into meeting and the grievance was reversed.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
So you've been a driver for less than 4 years and been fired twice? You mentioned in an earlier post about having been fired before.You smoked weed...ran your mouth to a helper about drug use...and lost a great paying job because of it. And you don't regret it? Good luck in all future endeavors.

PT Car Washer

So have you been officially terminated yet. Not much the Union can do until they have your termination papers.

brown67

It amazes me how much some drivers risk for a stupid joint. Yes, UPS doesn't random package car drivers, but they can for accident or injury or if they think you are on drugs. You played with fire and got burned. Are you irresponsible? Yes, you smoked marijuana. That's irresponsible and ILLEGAL even in Colorado and Washington for commercial drivers. You broke federal laws. Especially knowing that if you get caught you will be fired. You did it. You got caught. You got fired. See ya. Sorry I don't have much patience for all of this.

Best advice I can give is see if UPS will put you in treatment and keep you job. You do have a problem. Anyone who drives commercially and can't say no to a joint has a problem.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
OP asked for insights and thoughts. I guess that includes opinions. I took it to mean educated advice based on past practices and your experiences. Something about glass houses and stones.

DOK

If the test comes back positive the only option you have is to beg for your job back and say you'll go for treatment...period. Trying to get them on a technicality at this point is pointless, you were already tested.

PT Car Washer

If the test comes back positive the only option you have is to beg for your job back and say you'll go for treatment...period. Trying to get them on a technicality at this point is pointless, you were already tested.
I agree about trying to beat the rap on a technicality. This is not a court of law. The publics safety is the primary concern here.

UPSGUY72

OP asked for insights and thoughts. I guess that includes opinions. I took it to mean educated advice based on past practices and your experiences. Something about glass houses and stones.

Count me out I never have done drugs and I quit drinking years ago because I usually drank to get drunk. I also never be fired.

By The Book

Before I became a Steward, the previous ones during disciplinary meetings with mgmt. would just sit on their hands, not one word. Upon becoming a Steward, when attending grievance hearings, our BA would do the same thing. A lot of grievances are decided before you even enter the room. The local only has to show up and sit there quietly while this driver goes down the drain. Then they are covered. They represented him. At one point on a open and shut seniority grievance my BA pulled this again, and of course we lost. I had a meeting with Local President and he could tell I was going to pursue the issue. He called BA into meeting and the grievance was reversed.
You know that there is accountability on both sides to do their jobs. I'm always reading about the wrong doings of locals in the back of that mailer. They have a boss as well and know when push comes to shove they need to do theirs as well. We pay the locals salary so it's sad when they make you feel they won't file a grievance on a members behalf.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I smoked a little pot in my college days, and yes, I even inhaled. When I went fulltime with UPS in the 80's, I gave it up along with driving after a few drinks.
Wasn't worth the risk of losing my job.

Was tempted to try it again while vacationing in Colorado last summer. Too far from fast food!:balloon:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Toonertoo, are you a staff member now, and what does that mean anyway?
I am a moderator, who throws out swear words and vulgar pictures, and personal attacks and comments. It is my job to help keep this a friendly place that is fun to visit. :asskissf:
My opinions or posts are my own and can also be censored by another moderator.