Trying to keep my job

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have someone in my family on disability with severe Bipolar. The disability insurance for medication has a threshold that the person hit part of the way through the year. The medicine they take costs like $600 per month without insurance which they cannot afford. The doctor at that point switches them to lithium...Requires monthly bloodwork to make sure the levels in the blood are not exceeding a threshold. If the levels exceed that number for any amount of time, more than likely i will have to attend a funeral. And that is not even taking into account the side affects.

Been down that road feel your pain. My mother and sister, and brother, had bi polar, All gone now. One at 52 my sis. 59 my brother one at 70 my Mom. Had no other real problems. Bi polar is so hard to handle. Get one in your system before it will work is like 2 weeks, then two weeks to get it out if it isnt the right one, meanwhile trying a new one that takes two weeks, then if it dont work, it is a viscious cycle. Then when one works, trying to get them to take it is a 24/7 job. No one wants to admit it is a brain malfunction. People will take loads of crap for kidneys, bp, cholestrol, pain, but no one wants a brain problem when actually it is a chemical imbalance. Its a tough road no doubt. Definetely better than it was, but still no walk in the park. Prayers and hugs. And the cost, is out of this world, and then you throw half of it out. Lithium is a metal, It never worked for them, and caused liver spots.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Which is why I will be on a death bed before I take anything. 57 and counting. I hear all these young people blabbing about high blood pressure, etc. Shut your mouth, eat right, get some exercise, get off your arse. Some is hereditary, I get it, I dont think all.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Been down that road feel your pain. My mother and sister, and brother, had bi polar, All gone now. One at 52 my sis. 59 my brother one at 70 my Mom. Had no other real problems. Bi polar is so hard to handle. Get one in your system before it will work is like 2 weeks, then two weeks to get it out if it isnt the right one, meanwhile trying a new one that takes two weeks, then if it dont work, it is a viscious cycle. Then when one works, trying to get them to take it is a 24/7 job. No one wants to admit it is a brain malfunction. People will take loads of crap for kidneys, bp, cholestrol, pain, but no one wants a brain problem when actually it is a chemical imbalance. Its a tough road no doubt. Definetely better than it was, but still no walk in the park. Prayers and hugs. And the cost, is out of this world, and then you throw half of it out. Lithium is a metal, It never worked for them, and caused liver spots.
Yup...my mother is bipolar...every few months she goes off her meds and replaces them with alcohol. It's an ugly viscious cycle....

clean hairy

The problem I see, is that with Booze, we have methods to test for level of impairment. (Breathalyzer, blood test to name 2)
What tests exist to establish impairment for wacky tobaccy?

HBGPreloader

The one thing we all need to remember is that stewards are no better than the rest of us. They're just here to help out our brothers and sisters to the best of their abilities - which, sometimes, isn't all that great.
With that being said, this is still America. And contrary to what anyone wants you to believe or convince you of, you still have the right to remain silent.

P

pickup

I don't smoke anymore. Haven't for a long while, mostly because it stimulates me rather then brings me down.

A long while ago when in feeders, I got called in for a random DOT drug test. I didn't smoke at the time back then either; however, I had had a wild night with a chick that in the next morning culminated in some hair of the dog Puff puff.

The random DOT test was about 4-5 days later. Like the OP, I was a bit caught off guard and worried. I had been in feeders for a year and had never been tested.

As time went by, it's not like I could go to management and and be like, "How'd I do? Did I pass, did I get a 70?"

After enough time went by, I assumed I passed it. I still assume I passed it.

The way it works, you're supposed to get the phone call first that you failed . They will then tell you that they will now test the second sample more stringently. So the phone call is the first clue , not a tap on the shoulder from a supervisor. At least that is how it works with a DOT mandated random drug test.

And the call is from the lab doing the testing. As far as I know, they don't notify the company until the second test also comes up positive.

Faceplanted

So I saw this thread and had to sign up to reply. I'm honestly discussed at the Mis information in this thread about everything.

First off in my younger days I was a heavy heavy weed user. Every day many times a day. I would come to work high, mangent new and I actually got high with a bunch of them. I was One of the top 3 loaders consistently, moved to a pick off position and I would be employee of the month out of the pk offs almost every month while my pd had a consistent low misload frequency

I started driving years ago, I made it a point to only smoke after work on my time. I did this for a few years and slowly but surely I got tired of the weed and how it made me feel. Now and days I don't even smoke any more, but being a habitual user for years I can attest to it not affecting everybody the same. I'm highly educated, motivated and a great worker.

I also dabbled with other harder drugs while in college which I also no longer do. It's amazing that u can do lines of coke all night on Friday and be clean on Monday.

Marijuana is no worse than alcohol, most people who think marinuana is terrible are usually habitual drinkers. It's hilarious how they are in their high horse.

Just because marijuana is in your urine for "30 days" does bit mean you are high for those 30 days. You drink at night get drunk wake up and your sober. Weed is the same. Urine just shows metabolites that take a lot longer to get out of your, this does not mean you are high.

Op, the second u pissed and didn't also request a blood test is when u :censored2:ed. I hate to say it but of u do bad stuff u need to be very smart about it. Knowing I smoked often when I started driving I read the contract and got one thing from it, if I ever have to pee I will also ask for a blood test. Unless I are a heavy smoker, thc metabolites are out of your system usually over night. Over night u should be under the threshold of ups positive policy. Urine is a diff story.

I know where your coming from op and it's a sad story. IMHO u got the shaft and it's even sadder the union won't stand up for u. Lawer up if u really want to keep this career. Morally there is nothing more negative in getting high after work then slamming back a 6 pack like most drivers do. Legally there is and u as a weed smoker have to stay on top of this aspect. I wish u the best of luck my brother. Don't listen to these uneducated idiots who grew up on reefer madness.

FYI I used to know a bunch of successful people who I got high with on the good bud regularly. Dentists, lawyers, accounts ect. You would be very surprised. I just lost a very close family member and thanks to illegal marijuana their last days were tolerable.

barnyard

KTM rider
If employees were fired or questioned or asked to take a pee test every time they joked about drug use, I would be tested daily. Whenever anyone asks, "What's in the box?" I reply, "Weed. It's all I deliver anymore."

Whatever you said to your helper had NOTHING to do with anything. Your helper may have called a supe and said that you were a crappy driver that could not find your way out of a paper bag and can I help a different driver.

The OP is painting a picture of a very irresponsible person that has lots of things go wrong in his or her life and none of it is his or hers fault.

Hahahahahahahaha

Gotta call BS on that.

It had to take more than 2 minutes to pay your bill or your name would not have come up on the report where they caught you for stealing time.

I am guessing that your firing will stick, you lied, which is breaking a cardinal rule. See ya.

UPSGUY72

To all those that have tried to help, thanks. To all those that say my story doesn't add up, well sorry y'all can't do math cuz that is the story, nothing has been omitted or changed. As far as having a target on my back, yes, I probably did, I have been fired several times in the past for tardiness but it has been many years since the last time. I :censored2: off my helper and in turn she tried ( successfully) to get me in trouble. so I appears I've lost my job, it is what it it is and as much as I hate being in the position I'm in now, im certain that everything will turn out for the best in the end. There were many days I went out with a horrible load, worked as hard and fast as I could, only to be told in the end that it wasn't good enough. Story of my life at ups, super keep saying to follow your methods and if you did it this way it would work yet I've never ever seen a shoe willing or able to demonstrate the methods for any length of time. They may for a minute or two but once they start to get behind then they disappear again. I'm not looking for sympathy but it amazes me how many people seem to take pleasure in mine and others misfortune, I've been fired, like many others, and it seems that some actaully get satisfaction out of telling my job is gone. I'm a drug addict? Because I smoked a joint with a friend on Saturday night before the test on Monday, (actually I was with a fellow upser) I'm an addict? How many of you stone throwers are on a prescribed narcotic? Probably taken during work hours. I was not high on the clock, nor have I ever been. All these posts about the harms of weed, blah blah blah. Yes I lost my job for weed but I don't feel like I'm some addict that needs help, I do t see anything wrong with it, it's illegal, you got me there but I don't regret it from a morale standpoint, yes I regret losing my job but I don't think I'm some horrible addict that is a danger t society. I'm an honest, hard working person that prefers to smoke a joint and feel fine the next morning as opposed to getting drunk and climbing into the seat of a ups truck with a pounding headache and the longering affects of alcohol. Of course, that's legal I know. Millions of Americans feel the same as me. It's proven in pole after pole that the majority of people don't consider weed harmful. To all those that crucify weed smokers, you're out of touch with reality and the changing moores of society.

Your problem is that you apparently don't know when to shut your mouth. Your helper wasn't Kreskin you told her what you did or where doing and than you gave her a reason to say something about it to your SUP's and center manager.

I would suspect that your bragged about still being high from some narcotic or that you regularly do them. Than you mostly displayed some type of unsafe behavior either toward the helper or when driving the vehicle that would make the helper become concerned for hers, yours and and the public at large safety. Then from what you say you didn't deny you do drugs.

If you took a drug test before or after work and you failed then yes you where going to be and or where high when at work. UPS has a zero tolerance many people roll the dice like you and never roll snake eyes so they never get tested your rolled snake eyes and lost.

I suspect that it wan't just weed they found in you system and if it's still in your system you still under the influence no matter what you think. You apparently have been doing what ever you do for a while (years) so long that you don't realize that your high most of the time.

Good luck remember most jobs these days require you to take a pre-employment drug test.

If you really wanted you job back and there wasn't more to this story all you would have to do is cry that you have a problem and go through the motions. I know a guy that got 2 chances the 3rd time he got canned and he had over 20 years in.

browner89

So I saw this thread and had to sign up to reply. I'm honestly discussed at the Mis information in this thread about everything.

First off in my younger days I was a heavy heavy weed user. Every day many times a day. I would come to work high, mangent new and I actually got high with a bunch of them. I was One of the top 3 loaders consistently, moved to a pick off position and I would be employee of the month out of the pk offs almost every month while my pd had a consistent low misload frequency

I started driving years ago, I made it a point to only smoke after work on my time. I did this for a few years and slowly but surely I got tired of the weed and how it made me feel. Now and days I don't even smoke any more, but being a habitual user for years I can attest to it not affecting everybody the same. I'm highly educated, motivated and a great worker.

I also dabbled with other harder drugs while in college which I also no longer do. It's amazing that u can do lines of coke all night on Friday and be clean on Monday.

Marijuana is no worse than alcohol, most people who think marinuana is terrible are usually habitual drinkers. It's hilarious how they are in their high horse.

Just because marijuana is in your urine for "30 days" does bit mean you are high for those 30 days. You drink at night get drunk wake up and your sober. Weed is the same. Urine just shows metabolites that take a lot longer to get out of your, this does not mean you are high.

Op, the second u :censored2: and didn't also request a blood test is when u :censored2:ed. I hate to say it but of u do bad stuff u need to be very smart about it. Knowing I smoked often when I started driving I read the contract and got one thing from it, if I ever have to pee I will also ask for a blood test. Unless I are a heavy smoker, thc metabolites are out of your system usually over night. Over night u should be under the threshold of ups positive policy. Urine is a diff story.

I know where your coming from op and it's a sad story. IMHO u got the shaft and it's even sadder the union won't stand up for u. Lawer up if u really want to keep this career. Morally there is nothing more negative in getting high after work then slamming back a 6 pack like most drivers do. Legally there is and u as a weed smoker have to stay on top of this aspect. I wish u the best of luck my brother. Don't listen to these uneducated idiots who grew up on reefer madness.

FYI I used to know a bunch of successful people who I got high with on the good bud regularly. Dentists, lawyers, accounts ect. You would be very surprised. I just lost a very close family member and thanks to illegal marijuana their last days were tolerable.

I think you're misinterpreting a lot of what the people against the OP are saying. None are painting weed as an evil thing that makes you do horrible things. Not even close.

What everyone is saying is that the OP needs to own up to his own immaturity. He broke the law, UPS doesn't allow it, and there is obviously more to his story that isn't being told here or else he wouldn't have been fired for paying his phone bill.

He made stupid choices, whether weed is harmless, fun, or dangerous isn't the discussion and it never was. Heff said it best.

BrownChoice

My 2 cents .....

Marijuana, not addicting physically. But very well CAN be mentally. It is all about that person, and everyone is different. I smoked for probably 6 or 7 years, consistently. Now i never do, and havent for a long long time. Never had a single issue stopping, because I had a very large reason to not look back...(driving job)

Some drivers do dabble in it, i dont care either way...IF. They are responsible adults, and do so on their own time. If you smoke one time after being completely clean of the THC, you will be negative for THC, within 2-4 days Max.

Whether or not the OP had something else going on is irrelevent, and really does not matter at this point. Whats done is done. And as the saying goes... You make your own bed, and you've also got to lay in it.

Best of luck to you, and your future. Keep us posted as your still a Teamster.

Making better choices in life after having undesireable/unanticipated outcomes is what makes us learn, sometimes, as a human.

Everyone makes mistakes.

Never make the same mistake twice.

Best Regards to you.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I have no problems with the drug and know it will get regulated sooner or later.
When you sign with UPS or McDonalds, you sign paperwork that says that they can test you and this is the threshold.
His steward wasn't wise apparently and let him put his foot in his mouth and it will cost him his job.

I'll stick to the advice from my first post, MJ is addictive so kick it and the grass is greener on the other side (but don't smoke it)

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
OP, sounds like you have a great sense of humor. Joking about getting heroin. Hilarious.
You know what I find funny? Losing your job because you're acting like a teenager and getting high on the weekend. Now THAT'S funny.

Maybe losing a good job will help you to grow up. Good luck in your future endeavors.
Well said!

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

"marijuana is as addictive as any other drug" not even in the same domain! Have you ever heard of crack cocaine?? Recall the 80's?
I think what he is saying is the op has no regrets about using marijuana....and never did he say he would stop using if he got his job back.......and he's not comparing it to crack cocaine he compared it to legal things that are addicting like cigarettes alcohol or shopping........do you not agree that those three things have ruining people's lives for not being able to quit........if something can ruin your life and you can't put it down you are addicted

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
The problem isn't whether marijuana is better or worse for you than alcohol or tobacco. The problem is the OP refuses to take rresponsibility for the choices he made. He wants to blame the system because he believes that getting high off the clock is no different than drinking off the clock.

I'm not going to debate that. What I do know is....an adult takes responsibility for the choices they make...whether it's smoking up and failing a drug test, or getting busted drinking and driving. Either one could get you fired....and you have no one to blame but yourself.

Geo926

Cmon man you are (or were) making 33 bucks an hour plus OT and you cant pay a 80-100 phone bill? Sorry how do you get fired for taking 2 minutes to pay it? How would management even know? This whole story is just bizzaro.