Turnover

Artee

Handlers quit all the time at the Ramps. Its a part time job that you are lucky to get 2-3 hours a day. Its a revolving door as most use it as a second job or while going to school. They get tired of the weird hours, the drive to get out to a ramp and less money then they hoped it would be because of such few hours a week. The desperate stick it out and take a transfer to a station to become a handler or courier. The rest leave when the job fulfills its purpose.

If you are looking at the retention rates of handlers at the ramp to indicate the health of the company you are looking in the wrong place.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Handlers quit all the time at the Ramps. Its a part time job that you are lucky to get 2-3 hours a day. Its a revolving door as most use it as a second job or while going to school. They get tired of the weird hours, the drive to get out to a ramp and less money then they hoped it would be because of such few hours a week. The desperate stick it out and take a transfer to a station to become a handler or courier. The rest leave when the job fulfills its purpose.

If you are looking at the retention rates of handlers at the ramp to indicate the health of the company you are looking in the wrong place.

I respectfully disagree. While handler has never been a low turnover position, the current astronomically high rates directly indicate the health of the company. The multiplier effect of an inexperienced, incompetent handler force is important, and we see that lack of skill manifested in late CTVs, planes, FO,mis-sorts and all the rest of it. The downward spiral continues, and having nearly 100% turnover of handlers is tightening the turn. FedEx sucks, and even the handlers are figuring it out...quickly.

vantexan

I hate to say it, but 25 years of courier work doesn't count for much in the workplace. There are jobs if you've got the skills, but right now I'm considering begging for my job back. It's the only thing I know, and I'd feel damn lucky to have it. Today's marketplace will give you perspective.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I hate to say it, but 25 years of courier work doesn't count for much in the workplace. There are jobs if you've got the skills, but right now I'm considering begging for my job back. It's the only thing I know, and I'd feel damn lucky to have it. Today's marketplace will give you perspective.

Don't do it. You should have learned your lesson by now. They'd probably love to have you back, but keep your dignity.

Artee

I respectfully disagree. While handler has never been a low turnover position, the current astronomically high rates directly indicate the health of the company. The multiplier effect of an inexperienced, incompetent handler force is important, and we see that lack of skill manifested in late CTVs, planes, FO,mis-sorts and all the rest of it. The downward spiral continues, and having nearly 100% turnover of handlers is tightening the turn. FedEx sucks, and even the handlers are figuring it out...quickly.

I don't think the turnover is 100%. Unless 6-8 handlers is all their ramp has. If this trend continues for the next 6 months I may tend to agree with you. But this is the end of May. College kids are graduating and moving on. The ones that aren't are heading back home for the summer. On average you probably have 2-3 handlers quite or get fired a month.

If this was at a station that would be a problem. Or if that many couriers were leaving a station every month. These are ramp handlers that are nothing more than robots. If you can pass a drug screen and background check you are hired. FDX is just looking for a warm body to take freight off belt and put into can. Very simple. Very easy. Lets see how this plays out over the next few months before jumping to conclusions to which none of us has the answers.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't think the turnover is 100%. Unless 6-8 handlers is all their ramp has. If this trend continues for the next 6 months I may tend to agree with you. But this is the end of May. College kids are graduating and moving on. The ones that aren't are heading back home for the summer. On average you probably have 2-3 handlers quite or get fired a month.

If this was at a station that would be a problem. Or if that many couriers were leaving a station every month. These are ramp handlers that are nothing more than robots. If you can pass a drug screen and background check you are hired. FDX is just looking for a warm body to take freight off belt and put into can. Very simple. Very easy. Lets see how this plays out over the next few months before jumping to conclusions to which none of us has the answers.

When I go to the ramp to do an FO Shuttle I recognize few faces. It used to be that handlers would stick around for a few years while they finished school etc. No more. They hire-in, they see what it's all about, and they're gone. We'll see.

yadig

I'm at a ramp and turn over is the worst I have ever seen! I've never seen RTDs leave though. They are going to freight, UPS and Fedex, and other truck lines. Its really common sense. Why wait 40 yrs to make top out when you can obtain it in three. The take aways of the last 10 yrs has made this a less than average job and the results are in... Late trucks, planes and so on. But remember were hurting UPS..LOL! If you think RTD's at Express are bad try talking to a Ground trucker.. Hes just waiting for a DUI, assault charge, or road experience so he can get out..

vantexan

I know a retiree who was re-hired a few years back. His hours were so restricted that it wasn't worth it. van, have you considered CDL training? Class A drivers are always in demand.
Definitely considering it but the only way to break into trucking around here is to do over the road. Some companies will keep you out for months. My wife says no. Talked to a mgr today, seemed like a good guy.

DRAisawesome

I know handler is a higher turnover job but 6-8 is probably half the staff. Also people are realizing that if they want to become an RTD or courier it will be part time most likely. And if FedEx had their way it would only be part time. It's only going to get worse.

Artee

I know handler is a higher turnover job but 6-8 is probably half the staff. Also people are realizing that if they want to become an RTD or courier it will be part time most likely. And if FedEx had their way it would only be part time. It's only going to get worse.

Must be a very very small ramp to only have 16 handlers. We have around 60 handlers at our ramp between the morning and night crew. Asked a ramp agent yesterday and said it was not uncommon to lose between 1-4 a month.

CJinx

We're always taking applications for package handlers, 2-3 people a month either quit or get canned. Nature of the job, I guess. There's a reason why PH turnover and staff turnover are separate metrics. lol