Turnover

DontThrowPackages

Definitely considering it but the only way to break into trucking around here is to do over the road. Some companies will keep you out for months. My wife says no. Talked to a mgr today, seemed like a good guy.
You might want to look into the food industry. It's hard work, dealing with pallet off loading, but the pay is good. Clock in before daybreak and home same day. One friend delivers to restaurants all day and the other has a grocery store route. Neither one of them are hurting for money. I'd like to get a CDL myself but keep putting it off.

NonyaBiznes

Yanked Out My Purple-Blood I.V. In 2000!
FedEx Ground is hiring in Kennesaw. Supposedly they have a huge sign, right in front of the building. Yes, the one that had the shooting. Numerous folk (especially part-timers) never went back (ya think).

Hear they've had an "armed cop" there, since the incident. Wonder how long that will last.

The word is out to get your CDL-A with Fedex, get some on-road training and then ...
... ((( leave ))) and go make more money somewhere else.

Artee

The word is out to get your CDL-A with Fedex, get some on-road training and then ...
... ((( leave ))) and go make more money somewhere else.

Isn't that how jobs are supposed to be? Learn/acquire skills to either move up in the company or take that experience to another company in the hope of a better opportunity and more pay?

Artee

Express now requires RTD applicants to already possess a CDL-A.

A class A CDL license or permit?

So you are saying that AGFS is hiring drivers off the street? Because who in their right mind in DGO is going to spend the money to go to truck driving school to get a license, to be come an RT driver, to work 19 hours a week, weekend work only with the hopes of picking up an extra day during the week? No one is that stupid.

Its been a couple weeks since I have looked at JCATS, but nowhere did it say that you needed to have a class A license in order to apply for the handful of PT Ramp Transport jobs. I would text my manager right now and get an answer, but I don't want to make myself sound like anymore of an idiot than I already am by asking such a stupid question.

SmithBarney

Well just look at the employee numbers in the last 7 years we've seen 200,000+ numbers granted some are contractors, but if you compare it to the 7 year segment before..

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Isn't that how jobs are supposed to be? Learn/acquire skills to either move up in the company or take that experience to another company in the hope of a better opportunity and more pay?
Well yeah it was until about the end of the seventies when the economy went to hell. A lot of people got trapped in dead end jobs when the good places were not hiring and started laying off big time.

Artee

Correct. A lot of them leave as soon as they are trained. Smart move.

Is that your opinion or fact? I have been at this RT for 15 years and we have never had a driver leave as soon as his 6 month probation is up for another employer. Some have left for other jobs, but they were here for many years driving.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Is that your opinion or fact? I have been at this RT for 15 years and we have never had a driver leave as soon as his 6 month probation is up for another employer. Some have left for other jobs, but they were here for many years driving.

Fact at my host ramp, opinion elsewhere. I stay in touch with my former RTD workgroup, and many of the new RTDs leave as soon as they figure out FT takes forever. So, they get immediate FT elsewhere.

overflowed

Fact at my host ramp, opinion elsewhere. I stay in touch with my former RTD workgroup, and many of the new RTDs leave as soon as they figure out FT takes forever. So, they get immediate FT elsewhere.
I would say in a year my station has retained less than 50% of new hires. Just a revolving door driving the ops managers crazy. Whatever though, never ending OT if you want it I guess.

NonyaBiznes

It's a FACT. Especially in my area.

NonyaBiznes

Or that they will NEVER top out. Why stay around waiting for an "upgrade", when you can get hired FT at Freight or elsewhere?

NonyaBiznes

A class A CDL license or permit?

So you are saying that AGFS is hiring drivers off the street? Because who in their right mind in DGO is going to spend the money to go to truck driving school to get a license, to be come an RT driver, to work 19 hours a week, weekend work only with the hopes of picking up an extra day during the week? No one is that stupid.

Its been a couple weeks since I have looked at JCATS, but nowhere did it say that you needed to have a class A license in order to apply for the handful of PT Ramp Transport jobs. I would text my manager right now and get an answer, but I don't want to make myself sound like anymore of an idiot than I already am by asking such a stupid question.

You need your permit, before applying for one of those measly, 17.5 hr. PT RTD positions.

And like Mr. FDX, I have plenty of RTD friends that verified, they are hiring drivers that already have a "Class A".

NonyaBiznes

Do you realize how much FedEx spends, to train an RTD?

You would think, they would want to RETAIN that person for more than six months, right?

Here's another question to go ask your manager.

*ha*