Tweedle Dee or tweedle dumb?

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
This is directed at P-man directly but I would like any other input as well.

I've been told to slow down a lot lately. I have some how managed to get the seasonal route I run up to a min max of 180-200. I always run between 30 and 50 clicks under coming in at the appropriate time for our building which is a half hour prior to our air trailer pulling.

No one else can bring the route in with this amount of stops ANY WHERE NEAR that time. Yet, some how they are never over allowed either. Just out all night long.

Here's the question . . .

Is it possible for me to go out with 211 stops 400 pieces, pull in at the right time and be 50 clicks under, and have a different person pull in with 190stops 300 pieces at 2130 and still be 10 clicks under?

How is this possible?

If this is true than the whole min max being based on everything as it has been explained to me is BS!

Yes, my lunch is on the road, and no I do not just put it, i take it. I take it in my truck in an alley under a shade tree next to a church.

UPSGUY72

I don't worry about there numbers I do my job by the methods if I'm under or over on any giving day I don't care. The only that matters is getting home each night to see my wife and kids.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Yes, my lunch is on the road, and no I do not just put it, i take it. I take it in my truck in an alley under a shade tree next to a church.
You forgot to add " while I sort the rest of the load during bites."

And that is why

d

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
If you do ground with air, then that would give you more stops done before 1030 than someone who just does straight air. He'd have more stops later in the day to keep him out. Plus, the driver who does straight air would have increased miles on his route. Just a possible scenario :happy2:

pretzel_man

This is directed at P-man directly but I would like any other input as well.

I've been told to slow down a lot lately. I have some how managed to get the seasonal route I run up to a min max of 180-200. I always run between 30 and 50 clicks under coming in at the appropriate time for our building which is a half hour prior to our air trailer pulling.

No one else can bring the route in with this amount of stops ANY WHERE NEAR that time. Yet, some how they are never over allowed either. Just out all night long.

Here's the question . . .

Is it possible for me to go out with 211 stops 400 pieces, pull in at the right time and be 50 clicks under, and have a different person pull in with 190stops 300 pieces at 2130 and still be 10 clicks under?

How is this possible?

If this is true than the whole min max being based on everything as it has been explained to me is BS!

I think multiple issues have been mixed here.

From what you said, someone else takes your route with less stops than you, runs longer than you, and is only .2 to .4 poorer than you on ov/un??

Sure, it can happen. Its most likely that they have run up miles. Miles equals planned time. It is the weakest part of the measurement. It is also one of the areas that are being targeted. So, while "miles is smiles" today, it won't be the case for a lot longer....

It can also happen with other anomolies. Like units delivered on a give day.

Now, this is different than min/max. They are supposed to put your ov/un into DPS. DPS will take that into account when deciding what the min/max is. Min / max is also dependent on the target paid day.

Did this answer your question. If not, I will be glad to try and explain more.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
...or you could just work by the methods, by the hour and not worry about over/under or what anybody else does. Instead of buying into the allowances, buy out and watch your stress level go down and your sanity level stabilize.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Grab a 'Host" for lunch,but skip the wine offering!!!! also say a Hail Mary for the rest of us using THE METHODS !!!!!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Sure, it can happen. Its most likely that they have run up miles. Miles equals planned time. It is the weakest part of the measurement. It is also one of the areas that are being targeted. So, while "miles is smiles" today, it won't be the case for a lot longer....
Pman, boy am I glad you brought that portion of the time study/over under/planed day to the for front.

Being a person that delivered the packages where they belong, it was not unusual for some of the wonderboys to leave the packages that were out there a bit at the wrong house.

You know....... the type of wonderboy.......He leaves a package at the neighbors by "mistake" because it will take him every bit of 5 minutes to deliver it to the correct house. He will make pick ups before noon, because it will add to the miles and his days length if he does what he is supposed to do, go back in the afternoon to pick the stop up. Hell, they look great on paper, until you look at what UPS got back in return for paying his day. He shortchanged you. But you are so focused on the paper tiger, you cant see what is going on.

Yes, I have had drivers cut miles off the route, but in doing so, they have not saved UPS money, they have cost us business. They have not kept the promise UPS made to deliver the package to the proper address. So yes, less miles is smiles for that type of driver. And when I got back to the route, I had to deal with the mess, the unhappy customers, and the mis-delivered packages.

What I do find interesting is your statement shows something that I have known for a while. While UPS "officially" wants everyone to work together, management views the driver as the weak link in the process. Them "thieving drivers" mentality. I had always wondered how pervasive that mentality was. Now, thanks to that post, I think we have a better handle on how bad you managers view what we contribute.

I appreciate your candor and honesty.

Best

d

pretzel_man

Pman, boy am I glad you brought that portion of the time study/over under/planed day to the for front.

Being a person that delivered the packages where they belong, it was not unusual for some of the wonderboys to leave the packages that were out there a bit at the wrong house.

You know....... the type of wonderboy.......He leaves a package at the neighbors by "mistake" because it will take him every bit of 5 minutes to deliver it to the correct house. He will make pick ups before noon, because it will add to the miles and his days length if he does what he is supposed to do, go back in the afternoon to pick the stop up. Hell, they look great on paper, until you look at what UPS got back in return for paying his day. He shortchanged you. But you are so focused on the paper tiger, you cant see what is going on.

Yes, I have had drivers cut miles off the route, but in doing so, they have not saved UPS money, they have cost us business. They have not kept the promise UPS made to deliver the package to the proper address. So yes, less miles is smiles for that type of driver. And when I got back to the route, I had to deal with the mess, the unhappy customers, and the mis-delivered packages.

What I do find interesting is your statement shows something that I have known for a while. While UPS "officially" wants everyone to work together, management views the driver as the weak link in the process. Them "thieving drivers" mentality. I had always wondered how pervasive that mentality was. Now, thanks to that post, I think we have a better handle on how bad you managers view what we contribute.

I appreciate your candor and honesty.

Best

d

Danny,

I don't know what in my post gave any impression of my thinking "them drivers". I do not think that way and never have relayed that here or at work.

Yes, there are management who feel that. I believe they are poor managers and in a minority. Just like I think poor hourlies are in a minority.

I have been tempted here to counter those who are negative to management by posting a contrary opinion by discussing the occaisional dishonest driver I have encountered. I don't post that becuase I do not believe it is the norm.

So, I don't know what impression I gave.....

menotyou

bella amicizia
I have been guilty of lumping all of management into the horrible pile that a few created. For that, I apologize. My current status has been a hard pill to swallow.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
I love being attacked. :happy-very:

I dont sort on my lunch, I sleep. I dont run ground with air because I dont have ground stops at those air stops being as my air is the guy's next to me ground bussines stops. I am not a runner gunner. I just dont my job and drink a crap ton of mountain dew. I would assume the miles are the same as we are covering the same area.

I wasnt worried about my over under I actually never look, they tell me. I was just curious about how two different scenarios on the same route could end up being the same. That's it. Sheesh. Old UPSers are so touchy.:laughing::laughing:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
g
I love being attacked. :happy-very:

I dont sort on my lunch, I sleep. I dont run ground with air because I dont have ground stops at those air stops being as my air is the guy's next to me ground bussines stops. I am not a runner gunner. I just dont my job and drink a crap ton of mountain dew. I would assume the miles are the same as we are covering the same area.

I wasnt worried about my over under I actually never look, they tell me. I was just curious about how two different scenarios on the same route could end up being the same. That's it. Sheesh. Old UPSers are so touchy.:laughing::laughing:

You should get together with Hellfire and skip lunch together.

Danny,

I don't know what in my post gave any impression of my thinking "them drivers". I do not think that way and never have relayed that here or at work.

Yes, there are management who feel that. I believe they are poor managers and in a minority. Just like I think poor hourlies are in a minority.

I have been tempted here to counter those who are negative to management by posting a contrary opinion by discussing the occaisional dishonest driver I have encountered. I don't post that becuase I do not believe it is the norm.

So, I don't know what impression I gave.....
P-man, I have no idea how many managers you know, but I do know how many I have worked under. Out of the whole bunch, all but one was as Danny described. The one outcast was as fair as he was allowed to be, was upfront with everything and didn't last past six months then was transferred to a much smaller, out of the way center. We figured it was pay back for being driver friendly. The funny thing about that is when he was here the driver moral and the center over/under numbers were off the charts with only a couple of bad routes in the over cat.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Now seriously, nobody attacked you as I see it.
We just offered you an alternate mindset, one that serves us well.
We aren't, at least I'm not, saying I wasn't just like you in the beginning.
I too took umbrage to this type of advice.
It's counter intuitive to think your hard work wont get you ahead.
Unfortunately all it gets you at UPS is more work for less money.
That's why we're saying that the numbers are theirs and of no consequence if you ignore them.
Let your conscience be you guide.